Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^What you said is basically what I meant. The white headscarf STOOD OUT so someone decided to say something... :rolleyes:
    Dread since 2005

The Revolution will not be televised - Gil Scott Heron

My Fotki - pw: simiya

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Oh, I see.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I've been workin at this place for a few months now, and 90% of the time I wear a headwrap. So I go in today, && I decide to wear a different one, white instead of black. I'm not at work for a full 10 minutes before one of my supervisors [[white]] comes up to me && says, "Um..candace, we're not sure that you should wear that thing on your head."
    Then I say, "Uhh....why?"
    Her: Well it doesn't go with the uniform. What's it for, anyway?
    Me: It's for my hair [[duh]].
    Her: Well we're gonna need you to take it off.
    Me: Do I have to? I'm having a bad hair day.
    Her: I'm not sure. I'll go ask another supervisor.

So then I go about my day, doin my job, && I notice that all the supervisors && security guards keep staring at me && talking quietly when I pass. After about 2 and a half hours of this, I walk by a group of managers and one of them stops me.
    Her: Candace you have to take that off.
    Me: [[I gave her a look like WTF???]]
    Her: You can't wear it with the uniform. Take it off please.
    Me: Are you serious?
    Her: Yes you can't wear it. Put your hair into a ponytail or something.
    Me: I don't have enough hair for a ponytail.
    Her: Oh, you don't? Sorry, there's nothing I can do about it. You have to take it off.

I go into the bathroom, all sad && stuff. I started venting to one of my friends. I don't understand why I had to take my head wrap off when I've worn head wraps PLENTY of times at work before. I don't feel I should have to show my hair if I don't want to. One of my co-workers saw that I took my wrap off && he said ,"Oh snap, they made you take it off? Why???? You wear them all the time!"
    I knew I wasn't the only one who thought this was wrong.

The only way they would have let me keep it on was if the wrap was for religious reasons.

I felt kinda depressed really. I felt like they were dissing my style && not respecting my want to keep my hair wrapped. Why is it a problem now, when it wasn't before???????
    :unsure:

BTW: when I was wearing my black wrap, they knew it was a wrap.
    [/b]

CANDACE NO JOKE! The exact thing happened to me about 6/7 years ago!
    I was working at a hotel at the time.

I used to wear a black head wrap (not like the usual bandana "I'M-JUST-WRAPPING-MY-HAIR-UP" style but the african head wrap w. the bun in the back) .. any way, we got this new GM and all the sudden weeks after he came he had an issue w/ this. I had been wearing my headwrap the entire time I was employed there. One day my supervisor called me into his office and says, "Uhm.. you can't wear that.... that headwrap on your head..." It was the end of day so I just gave him this digusted look and walked out of the office. I continued to wear it. He called me into the office again and told me if I wore it we'd have to go to HR. I said, "well we can go to HR..." We went to HR and I sat there w/ my sup. and the HR director. She said "In the book it's defined as no bandana's but not limited to...... but we wouldn't do that." She continued w/ my options "either you wear it all of the time or none of the time...." I wore it consitantly for a few days then didn't wear it. I even switched it up w/ a black and white striped wrap. It was hot y'all. SO I was called into the GM's office the next day. My sup., the HR dir. and the GM were sitting there (as I was sitting there w/ my headwrap on)...... They all were YT too (yes, it matters)..... I stood my ground for most of the meeting and I told them it's cultural. The YT GM from Texas said "Well, if I saw someone with this... this... THING *circular motions around the head*.. I'd say 'what is this?'" I gave him the strangest look. Anyway, the meeting didn't help. I kept wearing it as I did (off and on) for a while then I was tired of fighting... I was braiding my hair anyway... I was so heated.
    Hair eternal smokin' bush.... outta control forest fire approachin' your city...shamelessly in touch with the deep-grown roots of the fertile land called scalp..Hair she be my first love. Jennifer McLune

LGBN BLOGGER
    Elvis is a Rock Star. The mind of a Black 7 year old boy.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on the side that the white wrap probably stood out to them more. It was probably more noticeable. What kind of job is this anyway and what is the uniform?

I think you may have to suck it up and just wear your hair out.

Last r.elaxer: Feb. 2001
    Big Chop: March 15, 2002

Napptural for life!

Hair Album-Last Updated June 28, 2008

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work at a waterpark && the uniform is a blue and WHITE hawaiian shirt. Since I didn't see anything in the manual about not being able to wear headwraps, I thought hey, I'll wear it. [[african style w/ tha bun]]. The manual said whatever you put on your head has to go with the uniform. HELLOOO???? blue && white shirt with a white headwrap?? goes together to me. :dunno:

So to those posters who thought maybe it clashed with the uniform, it didn't. It actually matched well IMO.

Here's the controversial wrap lol:

BTW, since I'm only 15 the only job they could give me at the park was cleaning the park && manual labor no one else wanted to do [[all the 15 yr olds have this job]]. I'm not even in the public view most of the time so that confused me even more as to why my wrap was a problem.
    18 y|o .
    1st BC : o6.o9.o7
    re-re|axed : 12.27.o8
    2nd BC : o6.13.o9
    current status : nappy (:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm sorry you're dealing with this sweetie. if it's that serious to you, maybe it's time to get your mother involved. just weigh the pros and cons of pushing the issue first. since you are only 15, questioning authority could lead to dismissal. but just like another poster said...ALWAYS question the MAN.

eta: you look beautiful.
    "don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because s/he doesn't do what you do, or think as you think. there was a time when you didn't know what you know today." ~malcolm X

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, you look so cute with that headwrap! ^_^

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You look adorable with that headwrap, and yes it matches the shirt. I can't imagine why they won't let you wear it (well, I CAN imagine, but I can't imagine a GOOD reason...).

It's up to you what you want to do next, but whatever you decide to do, do it calmly. Just make sure your tone is always even and reasonable. Don't give them another excuse.

Joined NP: Nov 2003 - Last chemical fire cream: Oct 3, 2004 - BC: May 14, 2005!! - [color=#FF6666]PINK[/color] since April 2006

[url="http://www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/meganlyles"][color=#009900]Contributing Writer on Suite101.com - Read travel articles here.[/color][/url]

[url="http://www.meganlyles.com"]Travelogue: New York City to Buenos Aires - one year by bus and boat.[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work at a waterpark && the uniform is a blue and WHITE hawaiian shirt. Since I didn't see anything in the manual about not being able to wear headwraps, I thought hey, I'll wear it. [[african style w/ tha bun]]. The manual said whatever you put on your head has to go with the uniform. HELLOOO???? blue && white shirt with a white headwrap?? goes together to me. :dunno:

So to those posters who thought maybe it clashed with the uniform, it didn't. It actually matched well IMO.

Here's the controversial wrap lol:

BTW, since I'm only 15 the only job they could give me at the park was cleaning the park && manual labor no one else wanted to do [[all the 15 yr olds have this job]]. I'm not even in the public view most of the time so that confused me even more as to why my wrap was a problem.
    [/b]
    Your wrap looks fine it is well coordinated with your attire. I am so sick of this mess I can't tell you how many times I walk in Target walmart and see green red i mean crayon red hair in these outlandish unprofessional styles and here you are with a simple chignon. Omg! You look very nice :-) They are very twisted indeed.
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can SMELL the discrimination. I can SMELL the intimidation. I can also SMELL a lawsuit! Tell your Mom or someother sympathetic adult who can get the point home on your behalf. This will not be the last time that this happens to you but the feelings of being "sonned" can be minimized if you are aware of your rights...and even moreso when others are aware that you are knowledgable.

BC: April 1st 2007

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast