User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Samielle1 Guest

Thumbs down

I just thought about this and I don't know if anyone brought it up or not.

We always talk about how black men feel about our hair. Are any of you involved in an 'Interracial Relationship'? if so, how did your SO feel about your big chop or your hair in general?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My boyfriend was odd about it. Before I did it, I did a great deal of discussing with him. He's practically my best friend so, when I orginally thought up the idea, I turned to him. He realized I didn't want to do relaxers anymore, but he didn't like the cutting my hair part.He loved running hands through my hair and didn't really understand that with naps he couldn't do the same thing. We talked and talked and talked and finally he was just like "Whatever makes you happy" :wub: The next day, I grabbed some scissors and after our friends left, I looked him and said "Will you help me bc?" He helped and it came out looking fabulous! He's been on the journey with me ever since. He says he still misses the length but now that he sees how happy I am with my hair, he's happy for me. He doesn't miss an opportunity to put his hands in it either
    Last chemical fire cream: December 2006
    BC: January 23, 2007
    started locs: May 22nd, 2008

Samielle1 Guest

That's great that he's supportive of you. That's how me and my SO are. He hates when I put yarn twists in my hair, he tells me he likes running his fingers and touching my hair.

He's been trying to grow out his hair and tells me that he's actually jealous because my hair seems to be growing faster than his. lol!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My boyfriend's white, and he loves my hair. He didn't like it much when it was permed. He likes that he can tug on it now without much fear of it breaking off.I think a good deal of it is that he's happy that I'm happier. He's been through a year of me permed, most of a year transitioning, and a year natural
    4 years natural!
    1 year loc'd and finally happy :)

www.twitter.com/dailygazelle

5. Likes KinkyCurly_Girly liked this post
    The Land of Elves, before the time of Men
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DH never misses an opportunity to help me to wash, even if it's just him rinsing it with a bowl. :wub:

He's gotten so that when I recently joked that I was about to slap my r.elaxer back in, he stopped dead in his tracks with a look of absolute HORROR on his face and told me if I did, he would shave my head! :lol: He actually asked me if I hated his hair because it was curly, and went off on a 10 minute diatribe about why my hair was so beautiful.

:blush: :wub: I :wub: him!

7. Likes KinkyCurly_Girly liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband loves my hair. When I decided to chop it off, he did have a few misgivings about how I would look with short hair. But he told me that if that's what I wanted to do, he'd support me and he understood why I didn't want to use chemicals anymore. After I chopped, he loved it! He thought I was sexy with my TWA. Now that I'm growing it out, he drops a hint every now and again that he wouldn't mind if I took it back down to an inch or so. All in all, he's been very supportive and is happy that I'm happy with my hair.
    [url="http://picasaweb.google.com/anherica"]My Hair Album[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've dated several men from other races.

Before I took the leap (2000- 2004)I dated a biracial guy ( white and black) and a Black man. They both expressed that in no uncertain terms, did they want me to cut my hair and wear it naturally. I was unsure and insecure, so I didn't, but I always vowed that I one day would.

The first guy I dated after the big cut was a White man(2006). I always wore weaves, but after we decided to be friends, I sent him my TWA pic, thinking it would scare him off and the break up would be final. He called me and laughed, but told me that he didn't care how my hair was. He knew it would grow out in time. I thought it was sweet but I we remained friends - he was definitely not relationship material.

Although I was completely nappy, I wore weaves and micros exclusively while I dated French man (2006)who happens to be caucasian and Vietnamiese. He only liked my hair straight. He really didn't even like micros. He liked weaves better. It didn't bother me, becuase I wasnted to wear weaves until I grew my hair out.

(2007) One man who was black, white,native american indian (His mom's ethnicity), AND Indian( from India) Chinese, and Portugeuse ( Dad's ethnicity), and he LOVED Natural hair. He thought it was beautiful and only wanted it natural. I met him during the beginning of my journey and he accepted me just the way I was. Even though at theat time I wasn't accepting of myself.

Things didn't work out and I dated a guy that is Japanese and Equadorian. He was really sweet and stated that my hair didn't make a difference. I shoed him pics, but he's only seen me in micros.

I have pics of some of them in my fokti under the "unbeweavable" section.

Failure isn't falling down - It's staying down.

Fokti http://members.fotki.com/ursula10/about/
    Myspace http://www.myspace.com/howuluvdat

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whoops, double post (see below)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hubby (white and Native American) and I have been through the different hairstyles and he certainly is not shy about sharing his opinion. The first picture he saw of me before we met, it was when I had a perm. Well I was natural when we started dating and cutting it shorter and shorter. He wanted me to grow my hair out, which I did not. I had a very low cut, almost bald on the sides, when we got married. He was not fond of braid extensions or even my natural twists, but when I started locking my hair over a year ago he has been in heaven and jealous. He plays in my hair a lot and says how much he loves it. Part of it is the fact that it is touchable and healthy. He also loves the length and flips out if I mention anything to do with scissors!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband and I have been together for 15 years, married for 13 of them. When we met I had shoulder length hair, he had seen pictures of me with bra strap length hair. Length used to drive me nuts. It was hot and never held a style as well as I would have liked. My husband has always wanted me to keep my hair long, every now and then I'll let it grow an additional inch or two, but I'd get sick of the split ends and breakage and cut off three or four inches. All of our relationship he has loved to play in my kitchen. He has been my scalp oiler and hair washer for 14 of our 15 years together. My girl friends used to be so jealous. He was in heaven before a touch up. "God, I love all the little curves and twists. It's so strong." I just figured he liked so much becase it was totally different from his Caucasian familiar. (I hadn't learned to love all of me yet.) Here he was loving the very thing that was my shame as a little girl.
    Having kinky, twisty, curly hair was no prize. Every little girl I knew wanted bouncy, free flowing long, straight hair (blonde wouldn't hurt either). That's what was being offered to us as beautiful by the mainstream media. Charlie didn't have no Angel that looked like me. Even when cornrows were hot, you saw them on Bo Derek's head. PLEASE! Maybe you were blessed with a different situation, but that was my reality.
    I thought long and hard about transitioning before I started. I talked it over with my husband. He was excited about the future of a whole handful of mama's naps, just no so excited about a TWA. We compromised on a modified chop. I have about two inches of relaxed stuff to cut and about an inch of real me pushing her way up. He has never been a braid lover, he complains about not having free access to my hair when I wear them, but braids are my transition method of choice. When he moisturizes my scalp he tells me how much he is looking forward to playing in my hair again.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast