East Coast via MidWest... it is pop dangit
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My man is white and he loves my hair. I was natural with an afro when I met him. And in the beginning he just told me that he loves everything about me.

unlike my ex who had me worried whenever my hair was r.elaxed ( i was constantly keeping it up to please him) He was mixed and I do not believe it is race that plays a part as much as the personality of the person one is dating.
    Last CFC: June 15th 2007
    BC: Aug. 4th 2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband (white) is the only one that is supportive of my hair, and the only one that tells me it's pretty.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well my current love is not of "another race." :P He is mixed, his mother is white....he grew up very clueless about "black hair." His oldest sister looks completely white (very pale and straight hair, not a single stereotypical "black" feature), the other one perms/flat irons her hair to death (and jokingly has "fits" about turning black when her hair gets wet :lol: Her mother told her to hush up once, because she felt her daughter was being inappropriate in my presence with my big afro...but I just laughed it off, I was not the least bit offended :P )....

That being said, hubby is completely in love with my hair. He is ALWAYS petting it, he loves how it takes the shape of whatever he does with it. Once I was laying down watching tv and when I got up my hair was completely flat to one side and he was just....SO INTRIGUED!!! :wub: And he loves how my hair appears to be different lengths on different days and has a ball when it gets wet and shrinks to like one inch from it's 7 inches. He won't let me put any "horse hair" in (extensions) as he puts it. it's so funny.

But before me, he did not know much about the weaving that women went through and other extremes, he knew about the perm and the flat flaming hot tool of hair torture because of his sisters but not the rest...in fact, he was telling me once about an article he read about "hair in the african american community" and he was all wide eyed about it. LOL, I'm like, have you been living under a rock this whole time?

I guess sometimes it's just different for men...for black men, because they are not the ones who have to meet up with these insane standards. and some don't understand how some of their preferences put pressure on women...because they never have to go through it

Anyway, now he asks me to give him some of that "natural" stuff I put in my hair. :wub: And once told me to preach to his sister about natural hair, but I told him that it's her hair and her decision. Don't want her to hate me too early. Plus I only advise, not preach to those who seek me out.

I am about to teach him how to twist and he has been begging to wash my hair. :wub:
    <div align="center">http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...kon001/aww.jpg
    "Nappy love"
    Drawn by yours truly. ;)
    tumblr blog

</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder about this, because for almost 10 years, I haven&#39;t been hit on by a DECENT brotha. It was when I was wearing a scarf on my head (raised my a Muslim mom) or being natural but not wearing scarfs (since declaring I am not Muslim of faith). I swear to god, I have been dateless for almost 10 years!!!!! I used to believe that it was due to me being fat and ugly....or I thought of myself as fat and ugly between 150 to 180 lbs. Oddly enough, last week I decided to wear my afro to my acting class after covering my text ends with a faux barbie doll hair ponytail. And 2 of my white male acting buddies when goo-goo -gaa-gaa over my hair and my acting teacher just loved me an little extra today and I was like......what the f*ck, because I don&#39;t see myself as white boy material. I mean, don&#39;t white men love their women skinny. Isn&#39;t it the main reason fat white women date black men, because the white man don&#39;t want them overweight. Here I am nearing 220 lbs and with an afro and I got the 3 Muskateers all on me.

One of the guys said, I had hair like that when I was younger. And I was thinking, he got to be early 30s like me, so what kind of hair did he have. I know he wasn&#39;t referring to the white afro of the 70s, because we were being born around then. Then it hit me, he was talking about The Cure hair from the 80s. He thought my hair looked like Robert Smith&#39;s.

:lol:

I guess, my afro roots and text ends really did look like that. I had a Robert Smith Afro and dude had the nerve to give me styling tips to make it look better. He said I need some styling glue or gel to make it more stiff so the winter wind wouldn&#39;t mess it up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, but years ago, I had a few older white men hitting on me with my afro. No black men at all. And oddly enough, all the black men in my family (uncles and cousins) are dating nothing but white chicks.

I am kind of perplex at the moment why they are hitting on me. I mean, it feels good to be noticed by men in general, but I am so opposite of the ideal beauty that white folks created that it makes me feel uneasy at times. I am just 20 lbs less to be a Neil Carter&#39;s size.

I dunno. Maybe if I was skinny, I wouldn&#39;t find it strange. My thinking is that skinny with natural hair would be more of their type? :unsure:
    [/b]
    its probably your acceptence with youself (or at least with your hair) that attracts them, ya know? its like you saying "well this is the way my hair grows so deal with it" and its nice to know and see that some women do have and stick with their own ideas of beauty. you don&#39;t seem too comfortable with your weight (i could be wrong..) don&#39;t look at other women who are thinner and wonder why the guys talking to you aren&#39;t talking to them. i think you know why. because you&#39;re beautiful....remember: there are more ideal beauties than just light skin, long straight hair and a size 2. and i think and hope that as time goes on those unseen beauties will be acknowledged. so there. think of the white men hitting on you as them acknowledging the beauty they see in you, that you may not yet see in yourself.
    sorry for the essay lol.
    -kia
    "whatever you fight, you strengthen, and what you resist, persists."
    -eckhart tolle

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It&#39;s funny cuz (since I&#39;ve been napptural) I get WAAAAAAAAY more compliments about my hair from white men than I do from Black men.. . . ..
    Too bad I&#39;m not into them like that. . . ..*shrug* Life would be so much easier. <_<
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/CLAWZGALAW/hairanddress.jpg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband , who I began dating when I had a chemical fire cream, preferred me with relaxed hair as he is into long hair and believes that long hair is more feminine. He is worried that my hair will not grow long as it is not as apparent as it is when my hair was relaxed. Although he is entitled to his opinion, he does help me and has offered to braid my hair (which I think is cute). He also compliments me on my hair. I believe that once my hair growth is obvious to him, his attitude may change.
    Hair type: 4AB
    Last CFC: 6/13/10 (texturized)
    "I am important".

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My (now) fiancé is white and he was behind me 100% when I decided to go natural. I had been talking about it for a long time beforehand so he knew I would do it. One Saturday morning last February I handed him the scissors and clippers. We went out on the porch and I let him cut it all off. He absolutely loves it! He&#39;s even asked me if I can teach him how to braid it. And he&#39;s a scientist so he&#39;s always saying my coils looks like helices. Hey, he asked me to marry him! haha

[url="http://members.fotki.com/natasha25/"]http://members.fotki.com/natasha25/[/url] - No password needed!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband is white and he was all for it when I decided to stop straightening my hair with lye or no lye fire cream! He thinks I look like a wild goddess with my curls. Also he wasnt comfortable with all the chemicals and not going out in the rain or swimming or doing anything fun in the shower :P

He suppourts my thinking about sisterlocks too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband who&#39;s white as well - has been really supportive over this whole thing too. When I first started thinking about it, he was my sounding board. You guys know there&#39;s a psychological journey to it too, like, wondering if I&#39;d still look feminine, sexy, if he&#39;d like it, if *I&#39;d* like it :unsure: .... after my bc, he was the first person to go "Wow!" and I&#39;ve never looked back since then. It would really be tough to stick with if my own husband didn&#39;t like my hair. So I THANK GOD that he loves it. :wub: :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooo I have to jump in on this one. well right now I&#39;m transitioning not from a perm but from super hot blowdriers. My ex or w/e he is, is used to my hair being straight. Hes puertorican and he has long straight hair but he HATES my hair when its in box braids or twists. He won&#39;t even come near me and says I look like a boy. :angry: ok I&#39;ll concede that maybe thats the case when I have cornrows but not any other time. <_<

Its so frustrating I just wanna punch his face in. He doesnt mind me with other styles although he did say I looked like a willow tree one time I had a braid out :blink:

So yeah as you can imagine things are going downhill
    [/b]
    TOTALLY OFF TOPIC BUT.....
    just wanted to say my name is kia too. lol.
    "whatever you fight, you strengthen, and what you resist, persists."
    -eckhart tolle

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast