Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Fellow napps,

I realize that I had been living the GOOD life as a new natural in Northern California, but I will not be so fortunate (weather-wise) in Chicago. Now that I am moving - I am starting to worry more about my hair. What do you northern climate women do during the winter months? Are there different products you use? Tips you might have (like lining your wool hats with silk scarves so as to not get split ends, etc.)? I need anyone's help who is trying to give it to me! I have been a minimalist for the most part, so if there is something I should add to my regime, would love to start practicing now (because in a few weeks I will be sooo buried in work, I won't have time to experiment!!!!)

You ladies are all a GOD-SEND!!!
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/serenity326/"]Come Grow with Me (My Fotki Album)[/url] - [i]updated 6/11/09 [/i]

[b][u]Hair Stats[/u][/b]:
    3-yr Nappiversary: June 2009 (since last chemical fire cream)
    BC Date: March 14, 2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in nyc and I cant do shake n go in the morning mainly because the last thing I want to do is get wet when it’s cold outside, so I take my showers at night.

If I’m wearing my hair out, I put my hair in fat twists to sleep on. Then, in the morning I take them down but turn on the shower and letthe steam freshen my hair up. Yeah it’s a waste of water and I’ll probably look back on that with guilt when we’re living in mad max days in 50 years, but oh well :lol

If im wearing my hair in a protective style I just spritz n go.

Headwraps are also a great idea in the winter and you don’t have to worry about wearing a hat outside

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nashville is not as cold as Chicago but it is a lot colder than Altanta, so my hair routine had to change. I wore protective styles all winter and washed my hair at night so it would be dry by the morning. It worked for me. There was no way I was going out in the cold with my hair wet.

I also, started using heavier butters and things like that in my hair. This year I am thinking about using qhem's alma and olive oil heavy cream in my hair on a regular basis.
    http://public.fotki.com/Turnergirl/ Updated 8/22/07
    This is how I am wearing my hair http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...06/washngo.jpg All over the place right now

B_Phlyy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Chicago and the winters are pretty brutal, so I always have to change.

I mostly do box braids (sometimes with extensions, sometimes with out) and just spritz everyday. I definitely recommend the lining your hat idea, or just put on a scarf before you put on your hat.

When my hair is not in braids, I wash probably once a week with a moisturizing shampoo and deep condition with a cholesterol. I never co wash because I find it doesn't give me enough moisture. I also use grease on the ends because I find that that's the best way to keep moisture in during the colder months.
    The_Epitome_of_Glamour My Fotki

IMHO, you can never have too much conditioner.
    ~Proverb from a Product Junkie

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i live in ny so its a lot colder in the winter here....i'll do occasional wash and goes during the winter but i'll do it a few hours before i leave the house....but i mainly do protective styles like two strand twists and twist/braid outs. you could also wash at night and spritz in the morning to revive your coils

you also may need to deep condition more and use more oils or creams on your hair, whatever works for you....leave-in conditioners will also be your best friend

you could also use the baggy method at night to keep your ends from splitting and definitely put a silk lining in your hats...if you wear a wool coat (like a pea coat) or a wool scarf then use a silk scarf over the collar so that your hair doesn't break off from rubbing on the wool.
    <span style="color:#3333FF">[i][SIZE=2][color=#000099]~*Z PHI B*~[/color][/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in the chicago metro area and it does get very cold, but I am one of those people that will walk out with wet hair. I have always done this when I would wear a short curly style (natural or texturized) I would suggest maybe try styles that you could just wash your hair once a week, like 2 strand twists, cornrows, etc... Also when it gets really cold out to the point you have to wear a hat, I would tie ny hair up in a scarf and if you wear a wool coat, get a nice pretty silk or satin scarf to wear around your neck. Make should you moisturize and use some type of oil. I am much heavier on the oils in the winter than summer. The style that you are wearing in your pics is perfect. I would rock that for the winter!
    TWA
    BC"d end of 03/08 stopped cutting mid 06/08 trimmed off 1inch 09/08
    wash and go! i&#39;m not cutting my hair anymore, i think?

http://public.fotki.com/shortdub78/
    PW-ladybug

4real is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Chicago. I am a product minimalist so I can&#39;t help you there. But I do wear mostly protective styles in the winter like twists and cornrows. But I do wear twistouts and fros on ocassion but not like in the summer. I don&#39;t line my hats silk or anything. I moved from San Diego to Illinois in 2004 and the only major adjustment I had to make was to the water.
    Last chemical fire cream April 2002
    100% natural December 2002
    Locs started Decemeber 2004
    Loose and free April 2006

In You, O Lord, I put my trust; let me never be ashamed;
    Deliever me in Your righteousness.
    Bow down Your ear to me,
    Deliver me speedily;
    Be my rock of refuge,
    A fortress of defense to save me.
    For You are my rock and my fortress;
    Therefore, for your name&#39;s sake,
    Lead me and guide me.
    Psalm 31:1-3

The Land of Elves, before the time of Men
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Chicago water can be brutal on the hair, so I would suggest getting yourself a nice water softener attachment for your sink/shower. Heck, even a Brita pitcher (the big one, not the small one) can work wonders

Chicago hard water makes my hair feel like bricks... which is why I moved out to the boonies with the soft water

SoSoul is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend doing 1. protective styles in the winter, while 2. moisturizing it with shea butter or shea oil ( thats a good protection). Also 3. covering your head over as much as possible in the winter. When you wear those thick winter hates be sure to 4. put a satin scarf under your hat so your hair doesnt break. 4. Drink plenty of water