Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel so bad for you...this is why I do my own hair at home. I can't blame anyone but MYSELF.
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/MimiCuteLips/"]Hair Album[/url]
    passcode: nappy
    [img]http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL22/541500/7136399/200308948.jpg[/img]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG I was literally like this :acksmiley: when you said she just hacked your wet hair off. How can she be a natural stylist and NOT know your hair curls up when it gets wet and becomes uneven??? That makes me so :Angry: and is one of the reasons I'll be the first to tell you 'natural' hair salons are usually a ripoff and you have to be careful going to them too.

I had my BC done at a barber, and that was my best cutting experience. They are used to dealing with men and whatever you ask them to do - they do - they don't 'read in' to what you are trying to say nor do they feel they know better than you how your hair should look.

:hug: I am sorry this happened to you. I would recommend either finding a barber, finding a guy friend you trust, or learning how to cut your own hair...
    God Bless!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the support. I don't have pics cause it was just last night. It doesn't look awful. It looks fine. It looks like I had a friend cut it for me. not a professional. Paying $55 dollars for something that looks like it was done in a buddy's kitchen sucks.

I know the cut is underwhelming cause not one person has commented on it. When my hair is cut well, people rave for days. They probably think I did it before jumping in the shower.

Thanks for the suggestions as well. I will try to find a barber. I definitely won't go to a salon unless they explicitly offer barber services. I've learned my lesson.

And it's really a shame because I'm a good fiercely loyal customer when I find a stylist I like. I'll stick with you for years. Their loss.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first time at Afrigenix in New York. I was really excited because it was suggested on this board and convenient location wise.

It's the worst experience I've ever had in a salon. And I had a bad consultation before my BC at Tendrils. And I'm feeling stupid cause I should have tried to find a barber. I'm convinced that many Natural Hair places are going the way of weaves, extensions or deal with longer hair. With a short afro, they don't seem to be the place to go. I've been told to get a weak chemical fire cream...blah blah

Are Natural Hair Salons just wacky? And please let me know if you know a good barber.
    [/b]
    I'm surprised, cuz both these salons have been around for awhile. I remember visiting Khamit Kinks, when they first moved from Brooklyn, to the current salon (many years ago). I actually got a chance to meet Anu, but I didn't get the "warm and fuzzies", and most of the folks looked like they had some type of extensions — I saw very little "organic" hair.

Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

"Your hair is SO Weird. It curls up when it is wet. It's uneven now" [/b]
    OK - I take it she straightened your hair to cut it? (which I'm not into anyway, but that's another story...) In any event, she clearly knows nothing about napptural hair 'cause that's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. Of Course it's going to "curl up" when wet. What did she think was going to happen?!?!?!

- Tania :mellow:

chinani is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I'm sorry to hear this. :hug: I also had a horrible, tear-inducing salon experience a few months ago that I related on NP. I won't dig up the thread, but I did start a thread titled "Salons to Avoid" in the "Hair Services" section of NP. You might want to relate you experience in that thread or just put a link to this thread in that thread... I hope that makes sense.

Anyhow, I am really sorry. I'm also avoiding 'natural salons' as of now, which creates a hair trim problem. I honestly don't know where to go... I'm gonna be extra cautious and vocal from now on...

But is natural kinky hair meant to be cut wet or dry? I honestly don't know.

Another :hug: for you. Best wishes!

Ash2005 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But is natural kinky hair meant to be cut wet or dry? I honestly don't know.

[/b]
    I honestly think it's best to cut kinky hair while it's dry. If you cut it while wet, when it dries, if you have uneven shrinkage, your hair will look a mess.

OP, sorry about your experience. If I were displeased with the work, I wouldn't have paid, simple as that. We live and we learn though. I'm glad your BF was able to fix you up though.
    Last CFC: May 10, 2006
    BC: November 11, 2006
    Length of transition: 6 months and 2 days
    MY ALBUM

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a bad experience at Turning Heads natural salon, also in NYC, when I went to get a trim a few years back.

The stylist was assessing my hair, yanks at some broken off bits in the back and says "I mean what is this, this is just garbage."He had this look on this face like he was changing a dirty diaper.

He then proceeded to give me a haircut that made me look like Al Green, circa mid-70s:

That cut looked so horrible on me I just went back to TWA again a coupla weeks later.

I'm also avoiding 'natural salons' as of now, which creates a hair trim problem. I honestly don't know where to go...
    [/b]
    Me neither!!!! It's a problem. That's why I wear my hair in twists all the time, bc it's so uneven.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a bad experience at Turning Heads natural salon, also in NYC, when I went to get a trim a few years back.

The stylist was assessing my hair, yanks at some broken off bits in the back and says "I mean what is this, this is just garbage."He had this look on this face like he was changing a dirty diaper.

He then proceeded to give me a haircut that made me look like Al Green, circa mid-70s:

[/b]
    ^:mellow: :crying:

I would cry if someone did that to my hair!
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and my fear of salons continues
    4 years natural!
    1 year loc'd and finally happy :)