Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first time at Afrigenix in New York. I was really excited because it was suggested on this board and convenient location wise.

I BC'd in March and let it grow because I was afraid to have it cut. So I'm sitting in the chair. She's cutting my hair while it is dry. I comment on it in passing. She says she cuts then washes. I like the length she cuts to. Not too short, not too poofy. Then she shampoos.

After she said "Your hair is SO Weird. It curls up when it is wet. It's uneven now" and just hacks my hair. I say hack cause she started pulling at bits of it and chopping it off. And it just didn't look very good to me anymore. I said "I liked where this was going, but I'm not liking how it's looking right now" Hoping as with stylists past that we could salvage this somehow.

Instead she tells me:
    1. That is what I asked for cause I didn't want the same length all around, but wanted the sides and back tapered. (True, but I didn't see the connection with it being hacked)
    2. MY hair gets soft and curly when it is wet. It was different when it was dry. (I thought this was the case for many people with Natural Hair)
    3. That is what happens when you wait so long to get a shape-up

I said "I feel like you're blaming me for this cut when all I want to figure out is how to make it better." She responds she's giving me reasons. She gets frustrated. The manager (?) walks over and we start to talk. The stylist stomps away.

I wouldn't even mind if it was a good cut. I'm not opposed to having short hair, particularly in the summer. My boyfriend had to shape up the back the same night.

It's the worst experience I've ever had in a salon. And I had a bad consultation before my BC at Tendrils. And I'm feeling stupid cause I should have tried to find a barber. I'm convinced that many Natural Hair places are going the way of weaves, extensions or deal with longer hair. With a short afro, they don't seem to be the place to go. I've been told to get a weak chemical fire cream...blah blah

Are Natural Hair Salons just wacky? And please let me know if you know a good barber.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:hug: wow i'm sorry for that horrible experience.

it appears the stylist realized she made a mistake and didn't want to admit that she didn't know what she was doing, or how to fix it, or how to deal with natural hair, even though it was a natural salon

this is exactly why i refuse to go to a salon to have them cut my hair.....its so hard to find a good one.
    since i became natural, i've only gone to a salon to have them braid my hair and that's it. i refuse to let them put scissors to my head unless they have natural hair themselves. (and i have yet to see a natural stylist that doesn't burn their hair straight)

i&#39;m sure there are some natural salons that CAN actually do hair, but i haven&#39;t found one yet. you can&#39;t count the african braid shops because they only specialize in braiding, not hair care. they don&#39;t care about your hair at all <_<

how does your hair look now? is there anything that can be done to help it? post some pictures, i&#39;m sure it doesn&#39;t look bad at all...and that&#39;s the good thing about natural hair...it can be uneven and still look great with a little tucking or patting here and there
    <span style="color:#3333FF">[i][SIZE=2][color=#000099]~*Z PHI B*~[/color][/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Yeah, I think she made a mistake and couldn&#39;t admit it. Weird? For hair that curls when wet? WOW.
    4 years natural!
    1 year loc'd and finally happy :)

www.twitter.com/dailygazelle

mwedzi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good grief, that is messed up. Yeah, the "your hair is so weird" was a bad sign, but you were really in a physically compromising position, in the wash chair hair wet with stuff on it. It sounds like she made a mistake because she only knew how to take care of one type of natural hair. At least your BF was able to help even it out. Sorry.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:noway: excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor...

you have GOT to be kidding me!!!!!!! did she get her cosmetology license out of a crackerjack box?

Thanks to my angel who made me PANK again!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:noway: excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor...

you have GOT to be kidding me!!!!!!! did she get her cosmetology license out of a crackerjack box?

Thanks to my angel who made me PANK again!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang, I&#39;m sorry! :hug:

And my fear of salons continues...
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang...sorry about your experience....

Girlfriend, you should have got up and walked when she was hacking away at your hair like...

Most people who wear their hair naturally, when they wash it, you will have sections that appear longer than the other or shorter...my hair is 11 different kinds of uneven after I wash it...

I would definitely start learning how to shape up my own hair...or get the boyfriend to do it when it needs doing..

Azion264 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m so sorry this happened to you :hug:

I had a horrible experience at Afrigenix a while back.... I complained and griped so much that I only had to pay half price, but I&#39;d never go there again unless I was getting braids or some sort of weave.... It&#39;s a pretty salon, but I really think they should stick to braiding..

If you want a cut you should try Sirca Designs http://www.vsirca.com/client/index.php They recently moved so I&#39;m not sure if the address on the website is the current one, but I had my hair cut there in April and it was a really great experience. If you go, ask for Hamin

:-)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m really sorry to hear that. but my question is this: okay so she cut it dry and it looked alright, then she wet it up and it curled. ooookkkkkk so...when it dries, did she not think it would look good again? i too would like to see pictures. i&#39;m glad you were able to find someone who could shape it up for you. it is never YOUR fault for the way you want your hair to look. i hope you didn&#39;t internalize any of that mess.
    Natural since: 10/07
    WAITT - We're All In This Together - My College President

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast