Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Article. I got it off of the same listserv as I did that quote at the beginning.

Job hunters hire experts to clean up online image For story click here...

By Stephanie Bagley Mon Aug 6, 8:33 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Job hunters perfecting their resumes for that dream job are being urged to also polish their online profile -- and clean it up if needs be, with a new breed of companies emerging to help mold Internet images.

Recruitment experts advise job hunters to Google themselves before stepping out into the competitive job market to see if a search pull ups that blog entry written about legalizing marijuana or drunken party photos with friends.

"The internet brings a new dimension to the application process. Sometimes it can work to your advantage, and sometimes to your disadvantage, " employment Web site Careerbuilder. com spokeswoman Jennifer Sullivan told Reuters.

Various surveys have shown that employers are using online searches to check out potential candidates -- especially as some of the early Internet surfers become bosses themselves.

A study of 1,150 hiring managers by Careerbuilder. com found 26 percent of managers admitted to using search engines such as Google and 12 percent of managers said they used social networking sites like Facebook.com in their hiring process.

Those numbers may be low, but not the repercussions.

Of the 12 percent who checked social networking sites, 63 percent declined to hire an applicant based on what they found, citing lying about qualifications and criminal behavior as two of the top disqualifiers.

But with hiring managers and job seekers using new and different ways to stay one step ahead of each other, new technology has emerged to help both sides of the game.

For 10 a month, ReputationDefender. com will search your name everywhere -- even "beyond Google" -- including password-protected sites, and give a report of their findings.

For about 30 a month, clients can have them do a clean-up, which involves ensuring all links to, for example, a college kegstand on Facebook.com or a disparaging blog entry from a former partner, will not appear during an online search.

"More than half of my clients use us just to search and dont even ask us to clean anything up," the companys chief executive and founder Michael Fertik, 28, told Reuters.

Fertik, a graduate from Harvard Law School, said its important for everyone to know how theyre perceived online.

"Often pictures that are intrinsically innocuous get taken out of context, and then can become punitive," said Fertik.

PROS AND CONS TO ONLINE PROFILES

While ReputationDefender. com caters to individuals not employers, DefendMyName. com services both camps.

The two-year-old Portland, Maine-based company, a division of QED Media Group LLC, will conduct an online clean-up for any size client, from individuals to large corporations. Some clients are companies seeking positive brand image online.

Using proprietary technology, company founder Rob Russo said DefendMyName creates links to promotional sites and blogs on clients in order to bury negative search engine results.

"Online searching has taken on an essential role in the corporate world when people are scouting new employees. It is becoming an actual part of the hiring process along with a criminal background check," Russo told Reuters.

But it is not always to job seekers disadvantage that potential employers can check them out online.

The Careerbuilder. com study found 64 percent of hiring mangers had their hiring decision confirmed by information found online and 40 percent of managers said their decision was solidified by seeing that a candidate was "well rounded" and showed a wide range of interests."

Beth Murphy, an advertising assistant in New York, whose boss admitted to searching her profile on Facebook.com, said being scoped out online helped her land the job.

"In seeing my Facebook profile, they thought I seemed like a well-rounded person. They saw pictures of me doing service work in Africa immediately followed by pictures of me hanging out at a football tailgate," she told Reuters.

lizzes is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever googled someone you know? I google new men that I meet to see if there's anything shady about them online. I think it's the same thing as the companies looking at social networking sites wanting to know who they are employing.
    Last chemical fire cream: December 2002
    Transitioned for a year and revealed my naps in December 2003
    Nappturality member since 2004
    fotki.com/lizzes *New updates 1/30/10*
    I'm locing my hair! 1/28/2010

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing on the internet is private. So if you don't want anyone to find compromising pictures or sensitive information about you, leave it off the net. That includes pictures, employment info, and that nasty email you plan to send to Mr. so-and-so with specific details on how you plan to burn his belongings for cheating on you. When you press delete, that email is still around.

However, I don't believe folks should bash online communities that are great resources when used within reason. Hey, even a mom found her son that she gave up for adoption on Facebook.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing on the internet is private. So if you don't want anyone to find compromising pictures or sensitive information about you, leave it off the net. That includes pictures, employment info, and that nasty email you plan to send to Mr. so-and-so with specific details on how you plan to burn his belongings for cheating on you. When you press delete, that email is still around.

However, I don't believe folks should bash online communities that are great resources when used within reason. Hey, even a mom found her son that she gave up for adoption on Facebook.
    [/b]
    Exactly.

I did have extended email fights with one particular person. However, I&#39;VE kept those email conversations in their entireity just in case <_<

Overall, I tend to just look at the positive side of it. So what that they&#39;ll check. If a company doesn&#39;t want me &#39;cause I have a MySpace or Facebook profile that&#39;s their loss. The more visionary company will love me for it.

Cool story about the adoptee. I&#39;m adopted too. I don&#39;t think that will happen to me, but it&#39;s a nice possibility.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

crmycoco is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This mess reminds me too much of George Orwell&#39;s "1984". Big Brother is watching!! Anybody remember Nazi Germany??? The McCarthy Witch Hunts? Too much power corrupts and any employer snooping on a myspace page is pretty dang pathetic. If they want to know all that, put it on the application! :Angry:

This is the kind of crap, that if ignored, can lead to some serious rights infringements. Just watch.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This mess reminds me too much of George Orwell&#39;s "1984". Big Brother is watching!! Anybody remember Nazi Germany??? The McCarthy Witch Hunts? Too much power corrupts and any employer snooping on a myspace page is pretty dang pathetic. If they want to know all that, put it on the application! :Angry:

This is the kind of crap, that if ignored, can lead to some serious rights infringements. Just watch.
    [/b]
    ITA. While I understand that employers want the most responsible people for their companies, using myspace/facebook as hiring criteria seems a bit shady to me. Compromising pictures aside, taking websites that are used primarily for fun and using them out of context just doesn&#39;t feel right. Don&#39;t they already do background checks when you apply for a job? If nothing criminal turns up there, you should be good to go. Between your resume, application, interview, and references, an employer ought to be able to figure out whether you are capable of doing the job. (I guess I&#39;ve just been blessed with pretty laid back bosses: As long as you show up on time and do your job well, they could care less whether someone posts a picture of you out drinking with your girlfriends on facebook.)
    See I picks my friends like I pick my fruit
    My ganny told me that when I was only a youth
    I don&#39;t walk around trying to be what I&#39;m not
    I don&#39;t waste my time trying to get what you got
    ~~Erykah Badu, "Appletree"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While throwing out someone&#39;s resume SIMPLY because they use social networking is harsh, people need to realize that whatever&#39;s posted on the internet is public. I keep my profiles friends only, but what happens if I have a juicy, "secretive" blog entry and I fall out with someone on my friends list? They could definitely use it against me. It annoys me when my friends post pictures of themselves downing liquor and in sexually suggestive poses. What happens when a potential employer or university searches for you? Plus, underaged drinking still is illegal...

While there is good in social networking, it can get a bit too personal when people let their guard down too much. Also, if I&#39;m hiring a person or even going out on a date with them for the first time, I will check to see if they have a Myspace/Facebook/etc.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither my blog or myspace is under my gov&#39;t name. My blog is my rage against the machine, my myspace is where friends can keep up with me. I don&#39;t share those sites with people IRL. I can see how it can cost you a job though. Sad but true!

I think that if a company or place of business checks your myspace page or facebook for more information about you it is not worth working for that company anyway. I think tht your creditials, references, and character shouls speak for itself, not to mention experience in the field. I am so appalled by people using myspace as a means to hire or fire you. I do not have anything worth scandal on my page but just the fact that someone would violate my right to privacy for employment is not fair.

Peace,
    Rasta
    [/b]

BUT you have to think most people aren&#39;t going to talk about their drinking problems or their character flaws in their references. So it&#39;s a good device for an employer who looking for the other side of an applicant.
    ~Never allow someone with limited vision to limit yours~
    Officially Nappy 6 Feb 03
    Loc Journey began 17 Mar 07
    I be bloggin'...PM me for the lank!
    iStruggle...I'm a work in progress
    If I don't respond to your post directed at me, I probably have you on ignore #truestory

cmsheart is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ve managed to have a pretty strong Internet presence and I&#39;m very conscious of what I say.

You can&#39;t yell invasion of privacy. People have GOT to realize that what happens online is essentially public. People can and do forward emails. Be careful what you say or do.

I think it&#39;s extreme to toss out anyone who is on MySpace. I mean all the presidential candidates are there as well. However, should that ever happen to me (or it has happened) I would count not being hired a blessing &#39;cause that&#39;s just setting the stage for micromanaging to a degree I don&#39;t like.

The Internet is huge and social networking sites are exploding. They&#39;ve got both good and bad points and attracts both great interactions between people and are also a place for creeps and preditors to lurk. However, these days people get jobs, homes, cars and even spouses via the net. To punish people for just using social networking sites is rather silly.

I think businesses should check. I&#39;d definitely run a candidate&#39;s name and email (however, the fact is people can have multiple emails and aliases.) I also think people need to be careful what they put out there.
    [/b]

I think that if a company or place of business checks your myspace page or facebook for more information about you it is not worth working for that company anyway. I think tht your creditials, references, and character shouls speak for itself, not to mention experience in the field. I am so appalled by people using myspace as a means to hire or fire you. I do not have anything worth scandal on my page but just the fact that someone would violate my right to privacy for employment is not fair.

Peace,
    Rasta
    [/b]
    :clap: to all of that!

And let me tell you, those same people who discriminate on your myspace are the same people smokin&#39; it up at 5:03pm in the bathroom.

I&#39;ve been around nonblacks long enough to know that BP just can&#39;t get away with the things that Becky & Bob do/does. Therefore, yes be discreet but don&#39;t fear technology. My page is totally presentable and doesn&#39;t say much about me besides what you will come to learn about me in person.

And don&#39;t hate, like stated above a lot of political figures are on MYSPACE!!! I have one of them as my friends and I :wub: her sooooo much, I could care less if she had a photo of herself pulling tissue out the backside!

Guess what!!! Did you know you can google your screen name and people will find out what you&#39;ve been saying on NP? I google myself all the time and I&#39;ve seen so many different things pop up that I&#39;m amazed...article in the newspaper....my university linked to my current profession.

Get a grip people. You are not SAFE, even if you&#39;re on NP.

ETA: congrats to SS proving that positive can come from the web (referring to the job offer).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m old school and paranoid. I never understood the need to have an online diary of your life for the entire world to see.

I have a feeling that even if you have it set to private a very resourceful hacker can be hired to break into it and see your stuff.

If you&#39;re going to do this, keep it clean and respectable.
    Jada1111
    Four years napptural and loving it!

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast