Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is Glamour's response to the incident:

Dear Glamour readers,

Many of you have written over the last few weeks to ask about an Internet account of a Glamour staffer’s comments during a presentation at a law firm. I want to let you know what happened—and how the magazine responded.

Early in the summer, without the knowledge or permission of any of her supervisors at the magazine, a Glamour staffer accepted an invitation to give a lunchtime talk at the New York City law firm Cleary Gottlieb on the topic of what’s appropriate to wear to work. During the course of her talk, she commented to the audience that Afros were “a Glamour Don’t.” Women in the group, several of them African American, immediately objected to her words, offended at the idea that their natural hair was being termed inappropriate.

I, and the rest of Glamour management, first found out about this incident two months later, when reports of the presentation were published in The American Lawyer magazine—and I was appalled at the remark. Glamour is a magazine with 12 million readers who count on seeing themselves—women of all races, all types, all lifestyles—represented and supported in our pages. The idea that a woman cannot be herself and still get ahead at work runs contrary to Glamour’s message of empowerment (and, incidentally, to the reality of today’s workplace), and I am still outraged that women heard such nonsense.

To be clear: Glamour did not, does not, and would never endorse the comments made; we are a magazine that believes in the beauty of all women. This incident was treated very seriously by Glamour management, and the staffer has since resigned. We’ve extended a full apology to the law firm she addressed, and I extend the same apology to all of you.

Many of you who heard accounts of the presentation wrote us to ask, essentially: What’s up with this, Glamour? (Our own staffers, startled by the episode, had the same questions.) I’ve read every one of your letters. Just to give you a sampling: “First off,” wrote one woman, “our natural hairstyles, as the word implies, are NATURAL! We were born with them! We did not come out of our mother’s womb with a perm!” Many felt saddened by the remarks: “I have always looked to your magazine for diversity and thought-provoking articles, but the thought of one of your editors being culturally idiotic makes me shake my head. As much as I love you as a magazine…I’m a bit surprised.” And one woman, referring to the straightening process for some African American women’s hair, wrote, “The person who gave this presentation should be sat down in a beauty shop and forced to have her hair pressed and curled with lots of [hair oil], every week for a month. I bet she would not write anything so ill-thought out again.” (For more on the topic, here’s a segment that aired on NPR sparked by the episode; click the “listen” button to get the audio.)

As much as I regret this incident, I’m proud to edit a magazine with such outspoken and impassioned readers. Glamour is planning a roundtable in an upcoming issue for women to share their views on the topics—about women, beauty and race—raised by this episode. I hope you’ll read it, and participate in the discussion.

Cindi Leive

Read More http://www.glamour.com/beauty/2007/1...#ixzz17wZkdU1d

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like that staffer got thrown under the glamour bus

i mean for real, they didn't know she was going to the event?? im surprised they didnt try the old "someone snuck in a stole a press pass and pretended to be one of our staffers" trick.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This debacle is what first got me thinking about returning to naturalness.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pisces33 View Post
    *whew*....glad my self-esteem & livelyhood dosen't depend on them

I strongly agree with you pisces33.. WHEW!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would really like to know how natural hair is political? Is the color of my skin political? Same difference, I was born with both. Coonery at it's best, or worst shall I say.

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate CurlyGirl View Post
    I would really like to know how natural hair is political? Is the color of my skin political? Same difference, I was born with both. Coonery at it's best, or worst shall I say.
    Exactly! I mean really...? Natural hair political? So when white foke wear their hair the way it grows out their head are they too making a political statement?
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Yeah for those who still straighten their hair to conform, appearance doesn't get more political(ly correct) than this... Black folks who straighten hair to fit in, to look professional and polished IS a political statement.

I think they have it all backwards myself.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least she voiced her disapproval. I think some people just think these things and dismiss the nappy professionals as unqualified or "too ethnic". We should know what we are facing in the work industries and go in with fierce hair that make these people look as foolish as their statements make them sound.
    Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.
    - George Bernard Shaw

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
    - William Shakespeare

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without victims.
    - Harriet Woods

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But natural hair is political. Wearing it is like saying "I am satisfied with my blackness". Don't y'all know that makes you automatic members of the Black Panther Party! Only bad Negroes don't want straight hair
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities~ Voltaire

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

natural hair/afros just makes people agree to disagree
    last relaxer: August 2010
    transition: 3 months
    bc:december 19, 2010
    natural status: 5 months

**postive throughts are helpful just be confident**PEACE,LOVE N HAPPY KINKS!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast