Thread: Hidden Naturals

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you never wear your natural hair out, I don't consider you natural, even if you don't have a perm. My opinion, I know not everyone agrees, but that's how I think. My mother doesn't have a perm but she never goes out of the house with her natural hair out; it's always in braids. I don't think she'd call herself a natural. Same thing in my mind if your hair is always pressed.

But it's hardly anything to be exceptionally annoyed about. After all, we don't get to see most black women's natural texture anymore, so no different. Like I said, to me, while there may be a difference in that she's no longer putting the burning chemicals in her hair, the mind set is the same as someone who perms. That is, nappy hair is not acceptable to wear as-is. JMO.
    [/b]

I feel ya.
    PERMAPHOBIC</span>...[/i][/b]

What makes you different, makes you beautiful

http://public.fotki.com/alavalec

http://hosted.pikistrips.com/comic_s...92/comic-p.jpg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know....I know it&#39;s not my business...but it really annoys me.

I have a friend who went natural about 1 month before I did my bc a year ago. She said all her reasons for going natural...she felt fake...it&#39;s not natural...trouble working out...black women are beautiful. You know all the reasons.

Anyhow, I have seen her ONCE with a fro. ONCE. The rest of the time she is burning it straight, wearing weaves, wearing wigs, wearing clip ons. I personally think she looks foolish with that shiny fake barbie looking hair on her head. Since she first got it done a year ago I haven&#39;t seen it at all. I have no idea what her natural hair actually looks like.

So I want to say "WHY ARE YOU NATURAL?" but I feel like it would be really out of place.

I just find it really idiotic. Anyone else know a hidden natural in their lives.
    [/b]
    Are you sure she&#39;s wearing the extensions and wigs to cover up? It COULD be that she is waiting until her hair gets to a length that she is comfortable wearing. My first year natural, half the time i wore extension. Only thing you can do is ask and talk about it. At the end of the day though its her hair her choice.
    Run your fingers through my fro...

Hair story

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all i got to say is i wore pcs and wigs until i grew the confidence to wear my hair out (about 1.5yrs!). pour into them if you know them. it&#39;s a sign of insecurity. once someone else sees their beauty, their eyes will refocus and they will 2.
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then this weekend the honey and I saw two chicks, one had bright blue hair, her friend had cherry red hair, like red kool-aid red. We were like only in the hood!!
    [/b]
    I love blue hair, especially if it&#39;s short, like a Caesar. I saw this girl with a lavendar/purple Caesar. I thought it was so pretty. Yeah, it can look clownish on some people. You have to have the confidence to rock it the right way. If I were 18-25, I would love to do it! Maybe. I just think that it is so cool and different because I&#39;ve never been courageous enough to do something like that. And yes, you are right...only in the hood.
    Napps, kinks and coils = MY FREEDOM HAIR
    BC 06/00, locs 11/26/05 (first set), 1/20/07 second set

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Up until last month, I had a co-worker like this. She said that she was transitioning and would p.ress the new growth. She would ask all kinds of questions and I did my best to answer her. She would make comments about my hair. I had loose naps, then locs. I was like <_< . Anyway, she had a weave put in. Then, when she told me that she didn&#39;t know how to comb her hair, I was like I was too through, y&#39;all. What I want to know is, if you don&#39;t know how to comb straight hair, you&#39;re going to have a hard time combing nappy hair. She wants to go natural but is still in denial. I told her that she needs to transition her mind before she transitions her hair. I understand that everyone has their own journey, but, dang, when someone is trying to help, maybe you should listen. If you don&#39;t want my advice, STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS!
    Napps, kinks and coils = MY FREEDOM HAIR
    BC 06/00, locs 11/26/05 (first set), 1/20/07 second set

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also consider locs and twists and braids (on your own hair) natural hair styles. When I said "out" I didn&#39;t necessarily mean a fro. And as others said, I didn&#39;t mean covering for religious purposes here. I meant something that was just your own hair. Not fake hair and not hair that has had its texture altered by either heat or chemicals, cuz pressing your hair still makes it straight. My idea of what it is to be natural is a little more than just not putting chemicals on your head. I don&#39;t know, I think what I&#39;m saying is pretty simple. :dunno: If you do wear your hair out (so not for those who cover their hair when out) but the only (again, I said before, I even get the desire to mix it up or just giving your hair a rest in braids or wigs or whatever) styles you show to the world involve fake hair or hair that has been straightened, I don&#39;t consider you natural. It&#39;s just really suspicious when someone says "I&#39;m natural" and no one ever sees their nappy hair and they only show people straightened or fake hair. Of course not everyone has to agree with this. Like I said, my opinion.

OP, I&#39;m sorry for getting a little off-topic. That&#39;s my last post about that, I promise. I understand your feelings. Like Dae-Min said, you care because she&#39;s your friend. And like I said, she&#39;s the one who keeps talking to you about all her struggles being nappy.
    [/b]
    Hey no problem. I completely agree with every word you just said. By "out" I mean natural, uncovered. I somehow get the feeling that some people posted on this topic without actually reading the entire conversation or thread. So I won&#39;t bother answering questions asked that I already explained. I guess next time I&#39;m with her we&#39;ll talk it over. She is however very insecure. I guess I&#39;ve been kinda avoiding it cause I don&#39;t want her to feel attacked.

SeaNymphPrincess I love the mermaid pics.
    [i]"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."[/i] - Bruce Lee

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me braids/twists with hair that you bought still isn&#39;t natural. They&#39;re just like weaves only braided into your hair. I also can&#39;t stand the "I&#39;m protecting my hair" excuse. Okay, maybe you&#39;re going away somewhere and you don&#39;t want to have to do your hair/want a break, but protecting your hair 24hrs/7days a week/365 days a year? What&#39;s the point in having your hair then?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also consider locs and twists and braids (on your own hair) natural hair styles. When I said "out" I didn&#39;t necessarily mean a fro. And as others said, I didn&#39;t mean covering for religious purposes here. I meant something that was just your own hair. Not fake hair and not hair that has had its texture altered by either heat or chemicals, cuz pressing your hair still makes it straight. My idea of what it is to be natural is a little more than just not putting chemicals on your head. I don&#39;t know, I think what I&#39;m saying is pretty simple. :dunno: If you do wear your hair out (so not for those who cover their hair when out) but the only (again, I said before, I even get the desire to mix it up or just giving your hair a rest in braids or wigs or whatever) styles you show to the world involve fake hair or hair that has been straightened, I don&#39;t consider you natural. It&#39;s just really suspicious when someone says "I&#39;m natural" and no one ever sees their nappy hair and they only show people straightened or fake hair. Of course not everyone has to agree with this. Like I said, my opinion.

OP, I&#39;m sorry for getting a little off-topic. That&#39;s my last post about that, I promise. I understand your feelings. Like Dae-Min said, you care because she&#39;s your friend. And like I said, she&#39;s the one who keeps talking to you about all her struggles being nappy.
    [/b]
    Now I can appreciate your opinion and thank you for the clarification. Trust and believe I WAS NOT trying to be controversial or plain &#39;ole ignorant as some people seem to think based upon their responses.
    "A person’s nearness to Allah (God) is proportional to his distance from his own ego and self [nafs].” - Shaykh Gangohi

notroz2u is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes this annoys me

saneely is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe she has a reason for wearing wigs, weaves, etc.
    I was forced to wear wigs for awhile due to all of my hair breaking off and falling out and damage due to relaxers. Or maybe she is just not that comfortable with being natural yet. In time, she will embrace her napps. But if she doesnt - oh well. Such as life.
    God, Love, Peace & Joy - the Essentials in Life

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast