Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a basement condo and this patch is what I have for a garden. I will probably get rid of the tall grass next year, it was fine last year but this year it just grew to the point were it hide my roses. I love this garden because it's the ultimate of low maintenance, all I do is cut the bushes down in the spring, cut off the blooms when they are dead and that's it. No watering, the rose bush on the right is a rustic variety, tried my best to kill it but it survived and now it's my favorite becaume the flowers smell so sweet my I stick my nose in them. I don't even bother covering the bushes to protect them from our harsh winters.

The pics below were take last June when the garden was at it's best.

The rustic rose bush

The other variety of roses. Since I bought them at a Wal Mart type store here I figured they wouldn't make it through our Winter and it did.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow ladies, i hope to one day have my yard looking as nice as yours' do. right now our earth looks like it's been backhoed, landmined, dug in and concrete truck driven on (several times) due to having the house moved here, etc. :S

it's really rough. hopefully i'll have pics to post of a nice looking yard next year.

in the meantime i have a small and interesting contribution in the plant category :lol: :lol:

these are pineapple seeds from a fruit we ate in the middle of August. out of all the pineapples i've ever eaten, this is the first one that i ever saw seeds in and i figured maybe i wasn't the only one so i'm posting pics of the little babies. there were less than a dozen!

not too much info about pineapple seeds on the internet mostly because pineapples aren't bred for seeds and the ones that do have seeds have been accidently crosspollinated. of course we cut off the top and have that growing in topsoil but i thought it'd be cool to see if these seeds would actually germinate - and they did!

it took about a month before i noticed the bottom of the seeds opening up then a tiny little root followed now, there's actually some green leaves showing...........

i cut the tag off the pineapple fruit and saved it:

-------------------

there's a few with some mold growing on them and i don't think they'll sprout and will be discarded next time i change the paper towel. i really want to put them in some dirt and see what happens :blush:

update: OMGOSH, they are GROWING!!

only 3 managed to sprout so far but i read it could take 3 months for some of the seeds to get going so i haven't given up on the others just yet.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what's left of my garden...

The butterfly likes to visit my garland marigolds every now and then.

Negronne figs

Black Mission Fig

Zapotec tomatoes

A good drought resistant variety. I know b/c i haven't watered them in weeks, and they're still alive! I'll most likely stick with this cultivar.
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

tangytic is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beautiful ladies
    http://chicagoist.com/attachments/ch...5_11_obama.jpg[img]

The only Hope I have to help me deal with all this drama is, this year in November, I'll be cheering for OBAMA! - Mary J & Big Boi

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gr2006 you are growing pineapples from SEEDS!!! You rock!

I love the butterfly pics, and the koi pond, waterfall pic. it's so nice to create our own peace patches

My flame iris finally bloomed after being in the ground for 2 or 3 years. I've never seen anything so vibrant. Wait till you see the color of this flower.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow ladies, i hope to one day have my yard looking as nice as yours' do. right now our earth looks like it's been backhoed, landmined, dug in and concrete truck driven on (several times) due to having the house moved here, etc. :S

it's really rough. hopefully i'll have pics to post of a nice looking yard next year.

in the meantime i have a small and interesting contribution in the plant category :lol: :lol:

these are pineapple seeds from a fruit we ate in the middle of August. out of all the pineapples i've ever eaten, this is the first one that i ever saw seeds in and i figured maybe i wasn't the only one so i'm posting pics of the little babies. there were less than a dozen!

not too much info about pineapple seeds on the internet mostly because pineapples aren't bred for seeds and the ones that do have seeds have been accidently crosspollinated. of course we cut off the top and have that growing in topsoil but i thought it'd be cool to see if these seeds would actually germinate - and they did!

it took about a month before i noticed the bottom of the seeds opening up then a tiny little root followed now, there's actually some green leaves showing...........

i cut the tag off the pineapple fruit and saved it:

-------------------

there's a few with some mold growing on them and i don't think they'll sprout and will be discarded next time i change the paper towel. i really want to put them in some dirt and see what happens :blush:

update: OMGOSH, they are GROWING!!

only 3 managed to sprout so far but i read it could take 3 months for some of the seeds to get going so i haven't given up on the others just yet.

[/b]
    what happening with the plant

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moe and Dee here they are :wub:

i think it's time they get a bigger pot with some real soil but there isn't much info out there on starting pineapples from seeds so gonna have to wing it.

eta: their leaves are still smooth and the edges of the leaves haven't gotten that serrated edge look yet.

^^^ that's the mommy. i cut the crown off and put that in a pot and it's growing well too!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gr2000, the little pineapple seedlings look great!
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those pineapple seedlings have me getting thirsty already! I love pineapple juice. Do you know how long they take to grow up?

Nameless1 your bathroom is awesome. How high are your ceilings????
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nameless1, hb and dee :wub: i have no idea how they grow, what they need to grow (i'll assume lots of sun and water) or even how long it will take for them to mature - wish i did - it'll be a fun horticultural project one way or the other

Nameless - expect some of us to come knocking on your door asking to borrow your lovely bath room - it's gorgeous and definitely has the look of a peaceful place to be!!

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast