Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

So, I will freely admit that I am not the most attentive gardener in the world, but I do go out every now and then to pull up the weeds and pick the ripe veggies. I call it my itty-bitty garden and up until now, I've been really proud of it...

Just Planted

The tomato and pepper plants are in the far corners.

Tomatos before the Invasion

Green Tomatos

Peppers before the Invasion (for some reason, this crop of peppers grew up instead of down...)

Now, it is a whole other story. While my pepper plant stayed basically the same size (it only grew a little taller and leafier), my tomato plant grew into a bush. But now I have nothing left! Here is what I came across when I went to check on it last weekend.

Pepper plant after the invasion (notice there are no leaves!)

Tomato plant after the invasion

A closer pic

Parsley after the Invasion

One more...

There were about ten of the Tomato Hornworm catapillars and about three of the swallowtail catapillers (the ones that were on the parsley). From what I read, they start of as little itty bitty green insects that I wouldn't have really noticed on my bimonthly trips out to the garden. Oh well, I guess I'll have to be on top of things next year.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the first time I saw hornworms i think i was 12 or so ... they scared the hell out of me cuz they were so big, almost as big as the tomatoes.

erinm is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once I was walking home from school in college and saw one. I'm still traumatized. I'm actually afraid to grow tomatoes, 'cause if I saw one of those things, I'd never leave my house again.
    Erin's fro: Frightening suburban youth since circa 2000

Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me. --Harvey (1950)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've never had problems with hornworms before. those suckers are BIG!
    locs:12/12/02-9/9/2006, reborn 9/20/07

blog:aquababie's world
    1st locs
    2nd locs

Aquababie Handmade....Crafted from my hands to yours!
    aqua on etsy

NP Approval code 775

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had problems with them last year (and yeah, my husband had to pick them all off) but this year none. I put an organic insecticide (yep) on them as a preventative this year and it must have kept them away. I was heartbroken last year going out and finding most of my tomatoes, peppers and stuff eaten down to nothing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those suckers are disgusting. my first time growing tomatoes i got them. i knocked them off with a stick and killed them but by that time the damage was done. i too was proactive this year and sprayed with a neem oil mixture..no hornworms.

kmac

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

I had them about when I planted tomatos in my garden about four years ago. How, did I know I had them? I could hear them chewing the plant before I even spotted one. Yes, I was completley :shocker: (tramatized) and had to remove them from the plants myself, the man of the house wasn&#39;t helping me with that one. <_<

kmacbaje: Neem oil &#39;ay? thanks for the tip I&#39;ve got some newly planted herbs I&#39;ll give the business :bolt:
    I'm Thee Itcha, let me putcha in the pitcha
    The Notorious Tan.Gl.Eee
    hair type 4 thick (density), medium-fine (strand diameter), soft/spongy (texture), (length) 9-12 inches, shrinkage 60-80%, (curl size) pen spring to pencil size, highly porous, low elasticity

Thank you for PANKING me!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Wow, you could really hear him chewing? I couldn&#39;t even pluck up the courage to touch them, so I just settled for the pictures. Now if only I could find their cocoons so that I can track their metamorphisis....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kinckyhick-i&#39;m sure there&#39;s a formula somewhere for mixing the neem oil but i just put a few drops in some water and a few drops castile soap to emulsify it and sprayed like a fool.

kmac

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooh, those things are HUGE! And nasty looking. If they ever come in my garden they could have whatever they want. My tomatoes had some other problem this year. They started out nicely but then they turned brown and nasty. I think they got some kinda disease or something. I&#39;ll try again next year.
    Last CFC: Jan 2006
    BC: Jan 27, 2007

Check out my pics http://public.fotki.com/Deme/

Myspace http://www.myspace.com/dghauser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast