Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently added speariment oil and kelp extract to my spritz bottle and my hair is crunchy and looks dry, but when I touch it is "Greasy" as if the moisture is just sitting on top. I'm not sure which product is causing my hair to block moisture. Has anyone had any problems with any of these products? Thanks.
    Last CFC: November 2004 BC & 100% Natural Since: March 25, 2005 (8 yrs!)
    View "My Hair Journey" (Parts 1 - 3) at: https://www.facebook.com/tiana.townsell/photos_albums
    Ms. Nappturality 2008, Ms. Black Washington USA 2009 The journey is the reward

calla2 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know anything about kelp, but peppermint EO will seriously burn your skin if not diluted enough. Perhaps the speariment burned your hair... how many drops in how many ounces did you use? If you did burn your hair, maybe regular deep conditioning treatments are needed (like those used to correct re.laxer damage). ACV rinses after washing may help to restore PH balance. Adding aloe juice or gel to your spritz could help since it soothes burns on skin. If you didn't burn your hair, I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe you can list all of the ingredients in your spritz - some of your ingredients may be reacting with each other.
    Grow with the fro.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for responding! The other ingredients that are in my spritz bottle are: bottled water, leave-in conditioner, sunblock and jojoba oil. It's all in an 8oz bottle. And I used 15 drops of Speariment oil and 60 drops of kelp extract. My hair feels awful!! It's never felt this bad! I feels like synthetic hair. Any ideas will be helpful! Thanks again.
    View "My Hair Journey" (Parts 1 - 3) at: https://www.facebook.com/tiana.townsell/photos_albums

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did you choose to speariment oil and kelp extract? From what I know speariment oil is similar to peppermint oil but is not as strong. But I have yet to see how it is goog for the hair. What do you have so many ingredients in your spray bottle? Is it possible that some of them may be working against each other, therefore not allowing the full effect to come through?

I use peppermint and tea tree EO in my spary bottle? Recently I have added tea extracts from;

1) Burdock Root: Promotes hair growth and reduces hair from falling out

When used externally, Burdock continues many of its same beneficial effects on the skin. Used in poultices, it is employed to relieve boils, carbuncles, canker sores, eczema, psoriasis, skin cancers, bug bites, sores, poison oak, poison ivy, swellings, leprosy, burns, wounds and hemorrhoids. The bur oil in the root is said to help strengthen and beautify hair, stop scalp itching and dandruff, and combat hair loss. In addition, poultices are thought to relieve the swelling and pain caused by arthritis, rheumatism, sciatica, lumbago and other backaches.

Burdock contains polyacetylenes that are believed to have antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties. Japanese herbalists use it to control infection and claim that it kills Streptococcus bacteria and many disease-causing fungi. In addition, it is thought to kill ringworm.

2) Chamomile: Promotes healthy hair growth.

3) Nettle : helps prevent hair loss, improves scalp condition, and fights fungus.

4) Horsetail grass tea: provides silica to the body. Is excellent for the hair, nails, and skin.

You can by them from any store (I prefer organic stores) as tea. I like using the the tea bags instead of loose herbs, cause then I do have to filter anything. Boil some water, put the tea bags in and let them steep for a few minutes. Then remove and let it cool. Use it as your final rinse.

Sometimes I add peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and recently tried castor oil. Works great leaves the hair soft, and strong.
    If I say napptural and you say natural, we're talking about the same thing-differently. But if I say natural and you say re.laxer, then one of us is f*ckin wrong.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it has anything to do with the other products in my spray bottle because i've been using that mixture for sometime now and it has been working great for my hair. I read in a hair book that speariment oil and kelp extract are great for your hair so that is why I added those two products to my bottle. And my hair got angry! I'm not sure which one of the products it doesn't like, speariment or kelp, so I was wondering if any one else had any bad experiences with either one of these. Thanks again

calla2 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lost track of this thread for a while. Did you ever find a solution? I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me before, but when folks complain about dry hair and oils just sitting on top of their hair, the culprit is often product build up. I think that clarifying with baking soda and water (about 1 tsp per cup of water) might really help.

Another common culprit for dryness is too much protein. Protein can make the hair hard. I looked here (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20gD.html) and saw that while kelp does have some protein, it also has a lot of amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) which may be interacting with some of your other ingreditens to boost the protein content of your spritz. For more on diagnosing too much moisture vs. protein, read "The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care" by Audrey Sivasothy
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2...d_moisture.html. An excerpt was posted on NP previously but I can not find it.

Kelp also has some salt content - probably not a lot in one drop, but 60 drops probably yeilds more salt than you want because salt can extract mositure from your hair. Again, I don't know much about kelp extract but 60 drops sounds like a lot... perhaps you should be using less of it? Sorry for the brainstorming, but I hope that something here might help. Give us an update/let us know how your hair is doing.

Grow with the fro.