kinkykea is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi.. I BC'd in January of 05 and wore two-strand extensions until December 06. I started wearing my hair out in January 07 and was really excited about the growth. I have probably trimmed twice or three times since January. I notice that my hair has not grown in the last 3 months. Instead its starting to thin out. As of now, my hair is about the same length it was at its longest when I was a permie. Does this mean I've reached my length potential?
    After almost three months, I've finally uploaded my May June & July Updates: http://public.fotki.com/Kinkykea/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I know there are other more qualified folks to answer this, but I had to chime in. (Then the brigade can come behind me and give a more indepth answer.)

It may not be a question of your hair not growing (not that his isn't possible - though I think it unlikely), but RETENTION. Are you doing some retention/protective styles? There have been a few loose nappies here who didn't think they were growing when, in all actuality, the issue was that they weren't retaining. You say you're experiencing thinning - are you taking any new medication? Stress? Eating right?
    Don't panic. It really could be a number of factors.

Peace,
    Nyckei
    <div align="center">[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/NyckeiXXIV/thequiet-1-1-1.jpg[/img]</div>
    <div align="center">[url="http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/NyckeiXXIV/revolution-1.jpg"]SHHHHHHHHHHH....[/url]</div>
    [SIZE=2]"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~[/SIZE]

kinkykea is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I know there are other more qualified folks to answer this, but I had to chime in. (Then the brigade can come behind me and give a more indepth answer.)

It may not be a question of your hair not growing (not that his isn&#39;t possible - though I think it unlikely), but RETENTION. Are you doing some retention/protective styles? There have been a few loose nappies here who didn&#39;t think they were growing when, in all actuality, the issue was that they weren&#39;t retaining. You say you&#39;re experiencing thinning - are you taking any new medication? Stress? Eating right?
    Don&#39;t panic. It really could be a number of factors.

Peace,
    Nyckei
    [/b]

Perhaps its stress related.. but I also haven&#39;t really worn any long term protective styles. I&#39;m thinking of having it braided all winter long.. starting this month until March and changing the protective style every 6 weeks.
    After almost three months, I&#39;ve finally uploaded my May June & July Updates: http://public.fotki.com/Kinkykea/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ That may help you out immensely. And look around the boards cause lots of the loose nappies here have protective challenges - they can stay in their protective styles for MONTHS at a time and still engage in no-pooing, rinsing and moisturizing.
    If you&#39;re going to use manufactured hair in your protective styles, I encourage you to make sure you choose someone who won&#39;t put stress on your hair line - someone who will braid carefully cause there are some tales on the board of those who went into protective styles with manufactured hair and came out worse for wear either due to the stress put on their hairlines or leaving the manufactured hair in WAAAAAY past it&#39;s expiration date.

HTH!
    Nyckei
    <div align="center">[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/NyckeiXXIV/thequiet-1-1-1.jpg[/img]</div>
    <div align="center">[url="http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/NyckeiXXIV/revolution-1.jpg"]SHHHHHHHHHHH....[/url]</div>
    [SIZE=2]"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~[/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could be BOTH damage and the fact that you have reached your growth potential. I personally believe that each individual has a MAX length that they can obtain even in the BEST circumstances. Some people think that EVERYONE can have long hair, but I don&#39;t. If your hair is THINNING at the ends, then it is being damaged. Try being gentler with your hair. That&#39;s what I have had to do. Things like braids and twist (as much as they&#39;re pushed for my hair type) are really two of the WORST things that I can do to my hair if I plan to take it down.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

vnatural is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protective styles are awesome for retaining length. I have been wearing non-stop twists since late last year along with moisturizing, combing only monthly and no major trims, and my hair is retaining a lot of length.
    BLAKPHOENIX

Nappy hair is pelo bueno! Ya heard!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the need for protective styling. I was a loosey for 11 years and I was getting frustrated with what seemed to be lack of growth. I was using 2 strands as a wet set and wearing twistouts as my staple hairstyle. This meant combing every 1-2 weeks. I got tired of the hours of detangling and started locing almost 2 years ago. After the usual shrinkage, I have experienced hair growth that I have never seen before. Protective styling is a must.

HTH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hopieg is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel the same way as you do. It seems like my hair was growing like a weed and all of a sudden it just stopped. It seemd like my hair has been experiencing alot of breakage, about a handful of hair when I detangle.

I have been wearing my hair loose alot lately, and I think that I am going to try to do more protective styles. Also I am experimenting with alot of products to stop the breakage and strenghten my hair.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I BC Jan05 and reached 12 inches somewhere along the way before I locked 8/06. But healthy hair, after trimming only yielded10inches the longest...and that&#39;s where it remained over and over, no matter the protective challenge etc....I locked my hair bc I couldnt gain length without compromising the health of my hair and trim/cut anyway. Just a thought for ya . I braided it up 8/06 and havent looked back..and,yes,it&#39;s growing
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast