Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Hi, everyone! I've been lurking on this site for a few years now but I finally decided to post then become a subscriber.... Well, here's my Hair story.....it's long!!! LOL!

My mom kept my hair natural (see my avatar pic) for the most part until I was eight years old and she had my youngest brother. Since I had such a thick, plentiful head of hair and was "tenderheaded", mom opted to do the "kiddie" chemical fire cream. Over the years from age eight til age 11, my long, thick head of hair slowly started thinning and breaking off. I got a jerri curl at age 12 and went back to the cfc at 14. Went to flaming hot tool of torture for sophomore year and then got another curl from 16 on through 19. At 19, I went back to the cfc, while experimenting with sew in and glue in weaves up. Got a short bob hair cut at 21.

I began my journey in 1992 as a college senior. I had a short bob and decided to transition into natural hair. I was simply tired of the cfc and wanted to be rid of it. I never liked the way my hair acted (all limp, stringy, with no body) after a touch up and I prefered the thicker, fuller new growth instead. I went through ups and downs....I wore box braids for a year and a half then got tired of those scratchy, synthetic things on my skin. So I started wearing afro puffs and twists for a couple years. Then, in search of "wavier" naps, I did the t.exturizer thing off and on and wore an afro. I also did a twa off and on. Finally, I decided to transition to longer natural hair wearing lace braids and did that for nearly two years. It was interesting what a different reaction I got from people in general and men in particular with the long, curly braided hair than my short kinkier naps.

Finally, I got tired of spending the money on the braids when I saw a sister at work with super long hair. Her hair came down to her waist and from far away I thought she just got out of control with the braid extenstions, but when I came closer I saw she had locks. I spoke to her at length and found she worked at a natural salon. I made an appointment and had a consultation. I had always liked the look of locks since I was in my later years in college. I decided that I wanted to lock my hair so that I could achieve long hair without straightening or going through the more intensive maintenance of loose napptural hair. I wore two strand twists for a few months and received deep conditioning to prepare for locking. Then in October 2000, Hasan (I forgot the name of his salon but it was on 87th and Stoney Island in Chicago) started my locks by finger latching.

I've gone from high maintenance to barely any maintenance throughout my journey and gone to different locticians with different methodologies. Finally, prior to rediscovering Nappturality in September 2007, I decided to become a DIY'er and maintain my own locks (with occasional help from my sister-in-law, who does some amazing styles). I'm happy to report that I'm loving my locks a whole lot more these days after just having hit my seven year mark this month. Becoming a diy'er with the help of the resources here at Nappturality has made me figure out what works and what doesn't and has liberated me. Now I feel like I know what's best for my hair. I receive tons of compliments (especially from men) and I'm completely in love with my hair again. :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that was inspirational! Thanks for sharing!
    BC in 2005
    Loced in 2010

Business, Entertainment and Immigration Attorney in NYC (jllaw.net)
    Crossfitter & World Traveler
    www.instagram/wizardlawyer

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that was inspirational! Thanks for sharing!
    [/b]
    And thank you as well...

QuitaD is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that is a great story. I look forward to reading more of your posts!
    I Still Have Joy!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great story!! must show pix so i can see your locks
    *UPDATED 4-3-12*

Yekomod's Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great story!! must show pix so i can see your locks
    [/b]
    I haven't quite gotten the hang of posting photos and I don't have a fokti account yet. Any suggestions?

Virginia-Between Richmond and VA Beach...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome story... waiting on your pictures
    5 Years of Nappiness as of Nov 26, 2010 and this is my 5th year on Nappturality!

Trust in God NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where are the picccs?
    great storyy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the family, look forward to seeing some pictures.