Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've learned the hard way that just because a dermatologist is black doesn't mean that she is be any better than a young white doctor.

[/b]
    My black derm in Nashville said that young derms - black or white - right out of their residencies are often good choices. Many of them do their residencies at teaching hospitals which tend to have high minority populations thus they have a great deal of experiences with 'us'.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering how you found your Chinese Herbalist, and what are your ingredients for the palm aid you applied to your hair.

Thanks,

Nappy

I had a black dermatologist in atlanta and when I got my insurance I went straight to derm to help a thinnig spot thicken in..... well what i got was told that my hair may never grow back and they gave me allkinds of meds including rogain to keep tha hair that i still had they made my hair fall out smooth bald spots and the only thing my derm could say is that that would have happened any way well how about my hair situation progressed so fast under this derm i wanted to sue

I started to sea a chinese herbalist who gave me some tea and using heavy grease and oil mixture of hair growth oils and letting it soak in to the area thickly and reappplying and yrs later my hair is growing in thick
    natural is better
    [/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Nappies!!!

I went to my 2nd derm appt today with a new Dr. - Dr. Sherri Ann Straughn in Buckhead. She was very good. The told me the truth. There is hope for my head - PRAISE THE LORD, but this will be a VERY SLOW process. Christmas 2008... :unsure:

But thats ok, I am expecting slow. So we are going to get some blood work done to examine internal causes, and a biopsy to examine external cause. In the mean time she put me on Derma Smoothe, and told me to stop stressing my hair, and myself.

So ladies.... :wub: I LOVE YOU, and thank you so much for the support and love, and I will definatly keep everyone posted.

As soon as I find my camera, I will get pics up.....

THANK YOU NAPPY'S!!!

By the way I need a new method for moisture. i have to stop using my shea butter and aloe for a while because of the reaction I'm getting on my face. So help please.
    [b]Check out [url="http://liveeventplanning.org/"]http://liveeventplanning.org/[/url] for Atlanta's best event planner! The next public event coming in August 2009!!! Will it be a Passion Party? Will it be another Spa Day? Will it be a Girls Night Out? Who knows......Stay tuned.........[/b]

<div align="center">[url="http://public.fotki.com/kakeeya/"]http://public.fotki.com/kakeeya/[/url]

Fotki updated April, 2009...Leave comments

[url="http://imageshack.us"][img]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1314/collage11kv6.jpg[/img][/url]</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THANK YOU NAPPY&#39;S!!!
    By the way I need a new method for moisture. i have to stop using my shea butter and aloe for a while because of the reaction I&#39;m getting on my face. So help please.
    [/b]
    just use plain oil then

try coconut or macadamia nut, jojoba or even olive is good

you can infuse herbs to promote growth also

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeya--I&#39;m glad to hear your 2nd appt. went much better.

That good to hear.

Hang in there!
    "...They just know my name, they don't know my pain..."Blackgirl Pain" Talib Kweli

Thank you to my pink angel. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Nappies!!!

I went to my 2nd derm appt today with a new Dr. - Dr. Sherri Ann Straughn in Buckhead. She was very good. The told me the truth. There is hope for my head - PRAISE THE LORD, but this will be a VERY SLOW process. Christmas 2008... :unsure:

But thats ok, I am expecting slow. So we are going to get some blood work done to examine internal causes, and a biopsy to examine external cause. In the mean time she put me on Derma Smoothe, and told me to stop stressing my hair, and myself.

So ladies.... :wub: I LOVE YOU, and thank you so much for the support and love, and I will definatly keep everyone posted.
    As soon as I find my camera, I will get pics up.....

THANK YOU NAPPY&#39;S!!!
    By the way I need a new method for moisture. i have to stop using my shea butter and aloe for a while because of the reaction I&#39;m getting on my face. So help please.
    [/b]
    What&#39;s Derma Smoothe?
    I don&#39;t remember if you&#39;ve said, have other women in your family lost their hair?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, my 1st appt with the dermatologist this morning was a nightmare. I walked into this very nice office, with all these black nurses around, when a young Doogie Houser looking white doctor walks in. He never touched my head, he talked so fast, and I was back in my car about to cry within 15 min.

I was told my hair loss could be 1 of 2 things. Traction Alopecia from years of bad hair choices, or female pattern baldness. He was very matter of fact, and no sympathy was ever shown. He told me to try Rogaine for Men, (because it&#39;s stronger). Stop wearing my head bands. And if the Rogaine didn&#39;t work, there is nothing else we could do.

I was crushed...

So I went to the drugstore and bought the $50 Rogaine, and as I was walking out I noticed the head massager that I read about in another thread. I bought that too.

Once I got home (very depressed) I opened the Rogaine and noticed this Rogaine is for hair loss in the top of my head. Not the sides and it says all over the packaging "Not safe For Women"

I think I will be taking this back, and getting a 2nd opinion. The Rogaine doesn&#39;t look safe for women, and this man talked so fast and never touched my head.

Yeah I am getting a 2nd opinion!! Someone help me, I need a black Woman Dermatologist in Atlanta, GA.

The struggle continues...
    [/b]

Hello,
    What exactly is Derma Smoothe? I am so sorry to hear your story as I am so depressed because this past saturday i had my sew in removed in hopes to go natural. I have worn weave since the summer. My hair experience chemical scarring about 2 years ago in which I visited a white male dermatologist. I was given a biopsy, prescription hair vitamin as well as months of steriod shots. My hair grew back a lot thicker but I put a perm in it in Feb 2007. I realized it was a mistake because my hair began to thin again. Needless to say, when I had my weave removed 2 days ago, my hair came out!!! The right side of my hair is just gone however you can see hair growing back. The front is bald!!! I have had sew in hair before and I have never had my hair to come out. My hair is considered fine and needless to say, I would never recommend hair weaves on fine hair. I have to wear a wig now but have a doctor&#39;s appointment on this coming wednesday. My past dermatologist retired but I hope this new one can prescribe something that will work.

Please keep me posted on your progress. This is the most hurtful experience of my life but I thank God for this site so that I can express my feelings with someone who has gone through or is going through the same thing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What&#39;s Derma Smoothe?
    I don&#39;t remember if you&#39;ve said, have other women in your family lost their hair?
    [/b]
    Derma Smoothe is for dry flaky scalp. Like psorasis (sp) I don&#39;t have psorasis but my derm said that a dry scalp could also be a factor. Truth be told, I only used it once. I hate that I spent my money on it - and didn&#39;t use it. It just a lot of trouble to use.

Besides my scalp isn&#39;t dry like that.

As far as my family, I have a aunt on my dad&#39;s side, who lost her hair at 16 from a perm, that burned her really bad. Her hair never grew back. My mother has thinning edges from wearing the same sew in weave style since I was like 10.....SHE JUST WON&#39;T GIVE IT UP.... <_< I have 2 sisters, both have the same father who is Indian. They both have very soft hair, one is thick and course, and one is fine and soft - Both of them have short hair. Not bald spots, just won&#39;t grow past a certain length. But I am the only one that has had a sudden fall out.
    [b]Check out [url="http://liveeventplanning.org/"]http://liveeventplanning.org/[/url] for Atlanta&#39;s best event planner! The next public event coming in August 2009!!! Will it be a Passion Party? Will it be another Spa Day? Will it be a Girls Night Out? Who knows......Stay tuned.........[/b]

<div align="center">[url="http://public.fotki.com/kakeeya/"]http://public.fotki.com/kakeeya/[/url]

Fotki updated April, 2009...Leave comments

[url="http://imageshack.us"][img]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1314/collage11kv6.jpg[/img][/url]</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now have a totally slick bald patch about the size of a nickel, maybe larger. I can&#39;t get in to see the derm until April but in my case it&#39;s probably genetics so a few more months isn&#39;t going to make much of a difference.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! this is my very first post and I am compelled to respond to a couple of comments regarding some of your conditions.

1. w/r/t white/black/female/male doctors, for matters of the skin and hair, I actually prefer female doctors because they empathize a little more with the plight of a woman losing her hair or getting facial scars. I

2. I once had a situation wherein I started spontaneously losing nickel/dime-sized patches of hair for no apparent reason. The patches were shiny bald and almost perfectly round. I went to 5 different dermatologists in my area, the last one was a woman the first four were men. The men were decidedly uninterested in really looking at the problem and either wrote it off as simple alopecia or just shrugged their shoulders and told me to stop perming. The last doc. was a white female doctor who took a real interest in the situation. She examined my scalp and then told me that she want to do a biopsy. Imagine my surprise and concern. What dermatologist wants to take a biopsy for a simple hair-loss issue and would the resulting scarring be just as bad as the hair loss? the doc reassured me that the scarring would be minimal and she could rule out a lot of problems if I let her do it, so I did. Boy I am I glad I said yes. She ended up sending the tissue to a university hospital, making a few phone calls, doing a little more research and came up with a diagnosis -- DISCOID LUPUS. Which is not the systemic lupus but a form of lupus none the less. I was put on a special drug treatment that actually slowed and then gradually arrested the problem (the drug treatment was somewhat drama-filled as well inasmuch as I was told that the drugs could adversely affect my liver and eyes so she made me get blood and eye tests monthly while undergoing treatment). 5 years later, I have gone completely natural (why add chems to an already troublesome problem) and have not had another flare up.

3. With respect to the Rogaine for men (%5), the derm in #2 actually told me to use that on the spots as a stop-gap measure. When I told her about the warnings, she advised me that as long as I wasn&#39;t preg. and made sure to wash my hands after applying the serum, I shouldn&#39;t have a problem. Apparently one of the problems is that women tend to touch their face a lot during their beauty regime and unintentionally spreading that stuff on other parts of your face could end up with results that would be negligible in men but not so much for women.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast