Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Invitations to two potlucks this weekend (and thinking about how this will impact my diet plan) got me thinking; I always imagined myself as an adult going to dinner parties and rubbing elbows with all different types of sophisticated folk, but it seems like all I do is go to potlucks....now I happen to love potlucks, my family holiday dinners are always potlucks, and my university department does about three potlucks a year...but I think I can count the number of dinners/ dinner parties I have been to on my hands....
    So my questions are: do you go to more dinner parties or potlucks? Who is throwing the potlucks vs. dinner parties? I wonder if it is a regional or class thing...I am in the midwest, and I suspect this has something to do with the amount of potlucks I go to....also my family is pretty much working to lower middle class (and southern) which may have something to do with our traditions....I always imagine folks dressing up for dinner parties (like on Girlfriends) but most dinners (potluck or dinner party) are casual....there may be other things too....just interested in your experiences.....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both.

i myself host dinner parties - I do all the cooking and have about 10-20 people show up (they have to bring the drinks though). but they are casual - sit wherever, chat whatever. I've only hosted a minutiae of dinner parties where we all (FOUR) people sit at the table with fork & knife, and set courses. My friends and I are still low budget so nobody owns one of those large dinner tables , and it's the same four people who go to each other's homes.

So for the sake of hanging out with more people, and meeting new people, potluck is good.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do both. I'm in grad school so I'm not super well off but sometimes I will have casual dinner parties where I cook something like turkey meatballs with pasta for everyone. Or more traditional (time consuming) meals like flying fish, maccaroni pie and peas and rice.

When its a large group for my Caribbean Students Assoc we do potlucks or if the grad students are getting together for a holiday we do potlucks. I think potlucks are better for groups over 10- I am definitely not cooking for that many people!

"What is for you cyaah be unfor you" Colin Channer
    5 year lock update
    5 1/2 year update

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, I think I go to more dinner parties. My groups are small and intimate, though, so it's no big deal. I think potlucks I have attended have been well over 10 people. Groceries are high these days.
    My Travel Blog | October 2007 Napptural of the Month (still looking for the link)

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."
    ~Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I've ever been to a dressed up dinner party. I either go to potlucks or people who have food for celebrations like holidays, b-days or house warmings. I'm sure a dinner party can be pretty expensive. Pot lucks are always cheaper and convenient.

Last r.elaxer: Feb. 2001
    Big Chop: March 15, 2002

Napptural for life!

Hair Album-Last Updated June 28, 2008

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both, but it depends on who's hosting the event.

Potlucks are usually the norm among my family and very close friends, though I cook alot and I've also catered so I'm always asked to bring something cooked or prepared, while some of my other friends are asked to bring wine, champagne, cheese and bread, or even desserts if it's really casual. You gotta bring something.

But outside of my inner circle, I've been to countless dinner parties hosted by colleagues, friends and associates from my career for intimate work-related networking (like my boss or some official). It's pretty much the norm for the line of work I'm in, besides working restaurant dinners. I still bring a bottle of nice wine, though.

Some of them are even catered by a company, and a bartender may be hired. Though I think that's a bit much and way too stuffy. I went to one New Year's dinner at a friends house one year, and that's what they did. Two chefs, servers, a bartender..........The works. It felt kind of impersonal, to be honest.

The most recent dinner party I went to was a bridal shower, but the woman is a fairly important, well-known person in my field, and she's more of a colleague than a friend. She had several showers and this one was attended by colleagues and associates. An opportunity to network, though I thought it was kind of weird that she used her upcoming wedding to do business. It was a pretty expensive bridal shower/dinner.

Do you know that when you train to be a Foreign Service Officer, you actually have to take classes on hosting and/or attending dinner parties (not potluck............Dinner parties)? It's an important part of diplomacy.
    Sacral

I'm an Orange Moon......Child of the Moon and Sun

I found God within myself, and I love Her. I love Her" - Ntozake Shange (variation of original quote)

"I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves." - Harriet Tubman

Om Namah Shivaya

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both but it depends on what type of event and who is hosting the gathering.

When I lived in Michigan I attend more potlucks for grad school and for different organizations on campus. But now that I moved to Atlanta, I attend more dinner parties at restaurants and other locations.

Potlucks are usually when I go home and visit family and very close friends for the holidays. My family will share their speciality dish. They will prepare food and bring their dishes over for the day. I prefer dinner parties so that you can dress up like Girlfriends. :wub: I am thinking of hosting a dinner party next year. I would like to host a house warming for the next house that we move into in the future. I think for the holidays I want to do a mix of catering, cooking, and buying ready made food from the grocery store.

The most recent dinner party that we attended was for my husband's job. We met at a five star Brazilian restaurant downtown, so we had to wear dress casual clothes for the dinner. I had the opportunity to meet other wives from the company and do a little networking. Also, we attended a business networking lunch at a couple's home which was very nice.

Peace,
    Rasta
    "As you educate a woman, you educate the family. If you educate the girls, you educate the future."

Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan

Never be limited by other people's limited imaginations. If you adopt their attitudes, then the possiblity won't exist because you'll have already shut it out. You can hear other people's wisdom, but you've got to re-evaluate the world for yourself.
    Dr. Mae Jemison, astronaut

Run Isiah 40:31