Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I teach and for a couple of weeks I was wearing my headwrap at work. I did it last year too, while I was transitioning. My principal, a white man, asked the asst. principal, a black woman, to tell me that if there wasn't a reason that I was wearing it, then I not to wear it. Well I haven't worn it since, but I always thought it looked neat and professional. Its just black, I knot it in the back, and I dress as professional as the other teachers. So are headwraps a no-no for the work place? I dont work in an office, and the kids respect me the same with and without it. I told my some of my coworkers, and they thought it was kinda silly. In fact, nobody ever said anything until that day.

So honestly, what do you think? Is this a reasonable request?
    He proposed! I'm getting hitched in November!

http://i44.tinypic.com/316lxmd.gif

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I worked at a bank, I wore a headwrap and was asked to remove it. And upon reviewing the dress code, it did state that no head coverings were to be worn unless it was for religious or medical reasons. I fit in neither of those categories. What did I do? I didn't wear it any more. But I did give my hair some extravagant styles that they couldn't touch. But personally, I don't think its a no-no per say. It's about who you work with and who you work for. The only person that complained was our regional manager. No one else, including the local human resource officer, head of security, and bank manager, had an issue with it.

Coco_P is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, several professional establishments prohibit people from wearing headcoverings. I remember when I first experienced this situation when I was in high school. There were occasions when me or one of my friends would try to get away with wearing a head wrap. Either our hair wasn't done, or we wanted to keep it in place for later, or we just wanted to wear it wrapped, whatever. There was always a teacher who would tell us to remove it. One of my friends actually wrote an article about the issue in the school paper. The rule remained in place, but at least it got people talking.

I don't think it should be a problem. Like you said, you got the same respect with or without it on. It wasn't causing a disturbance or distraction. Some rules are just excessive.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started wearing a head wrap after my B/C because I have a bald spot at the top of my head. Also I am taking a topical and internal antibiotic to treat folliculitis. The doctor siad not to expose the bald spot to direct sunlight or it will blister. Well, I am on medication for two months and that will end Jan 15, 2008 untill the doctor extends the period of usage. I will find out then if my head scarf will be an issue. I did over hear two co-workers talking about people dressing for the job that they want and not the one that they have. I completely agree with that statement but the way that I wear my hair should not greatly effect my function as an intern at this practicum placement. Obviously some people are bothered by it. I hope that the job that I get after my internship would allow me to wear my hear scarves, at least until the bald spot grow in. If not I would probably have to invest in a stocking cap quick weave or a good everyday wig.
    IN GOD I TRUST

TWA Grow-out Challenge 2009 ( December 31, 2008 - December 30, 2009)
    Our Journey Page Created by Natural Reign: 2009 TWA Growout Challenge Forum

100% Napptural Since July 31,2008
    Hopefully LAST B/C on December 6, 2008 (Horrible Trim Experience)

My Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello!

I can see many sides of this issue. Some of us mentioned, it depends where and who you work for. This is true... none of us would go to work knowing we dressed inapprporiately. But, could this be some post 911 thing...alleviates feelings of threat and discord? What makes a religious reason more acceptable than your reason? Ultimately, I think accepting diversity trumps the "rules".

Whether or not you should pursue the issue really depends on whether or not you have time and/energy to pick this battle. How important is it you? For me, its the type of the thing that I would pursue just to be doing it. I can't see someone denying me something so simple without making them go the lengths to justify it.

I think its silly...the guy must not have a lot on his plate.

~mzanjell

Truth, Peace & Blessings,
    ~mzanjell

JadedPrincess Guest

If the kids can't wear headcoverings why should you be able to?

It's a matter of leading by example.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I teach and for a couple of weeks I was wearing my headwrap at work. I did it last year too, while I was transitioning. My principal, a white man, asked the asst. principal, a black woman, to tell me that if there wasn't a reason that I was wearing it, then I not to wear it. Well I haven't worn it since, but I always thought it looked neat and professional. Its just black, I knot it in the back, and I dress as professional as the other teachers. So are headwraps a no-no for the work place? I dont work in an office, and the kids respect me the same with and without it. I told my some of my coworkers, and they thought it was kinda silly. In fact, nobody ever said anything until that day.

So honestly, what do you think? Is this a reasonable request?
    [/b]
    Headwraps aren't a no-no unless there's a corporate policy in place against wearing them. At your particular job, there is, unless, as you stated, there is a specific reason that you're weaing it.

If anything, just look at it as an accessory that you simply can't wear to work. Like, say, FM pumps. No big deal.
    Please visit my Fotki!

My reality check bounced! -- Come visit me or my cat at Myspace

R-E-A-D-A-B-O. Okay?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing that I can suggest to you is try to wrap it in different ways. There are tutorials online on how to wrap it African style, I say this only because I was approached once by a colleague in a not so positive way when I wrapped it the way your describing . I found out that the style with the bun in the back is not always accepted as a professional look, When you are wrapping try to have a sizable piece of fabric. I usually use the wrap skirts size ( about 2yds in length of a 45in fabric or even more) this gives you enough to wrap, twist, and turn how you want, and you won't look like a peanut head, lol.

I also find that the wrap style that is the most popular is the ( Coming to America) style,...lolol its the one that you begin wrapping from the back and it is crossed in the front to give you an upside down "v". When I do this I can't even tell you how many women and men approach me with compliments and this is from black ,white,Asian you name it,....lol...and its ok to use more then one fabric and color to wrap......Good Luck!!!!
    <div align="center">Be Present , Live Life , Have Fun

Online store
    www.cafepress.com/nabruism</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that as long as there&#39;s no policy stating that you can&#39;t wear them they are fine. The headwrap didn&#39;t effect your job performance or anything like that so what&#39;s the big deal. Kinda shisty how the principal asked the black vice principal to tell you to take it of.

The same thing happened to me at my job and I was asked to remove it and I said no for 2 reasons: We have no dress code at all so there was no written rule saying I couldn&#39;t do so and I said other people I work with wear baseball hats and if they can wear their head gear, so can I . That was the end of that.
    [b][SIZE=2][i]"All great achievements require time."-Dr. Maya Angelou[/i]

MY NATURAL JOURNEY IN [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/kemoja"]VIDEO[/url] AND [url="http://public.fotki.com/sexyblu82/"]PICTURES[/url][/SIZE][/b]