Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone.

I just joined the group and wanted to introduce myself and give some background of how I got to this group.

I am a 32 year old stay at home mom, and because of a tight budget, would take it upon myself to "care" for my hair. Over the years, it has taken a toll on my hair and it started to break off real bad. I was also tired of the smell of a "freshly relaxed" head. I had always been so very fond of dreadlocks and natural hairstyles but always thought it was so far fetched for me since I've been getting my hair relaxed ever since I was about 9 or 10 years old. I had always had long hair as well and just thought I would go into shock at the fact that it would have to be cut so short to rid my hair of chemicals.

Well, nature has given me a big wake up call, and it's time I listened! So I started (about 1 1/2 ago) not putting any chemicals in my hair, and met this lady hair stylist that did braids and other natural hairdos. I cut all of my relaxed hair off and started going to this lady for my hair care. But, she started having personal problems and couldn't keep my appointments and then just up and disappeared. I wore a twa fro a good while until my hair grew and different sections of my hair started doing different things. I didn't know much about caring for natural hair, let alone how to style it, so in a state of panic, I ran to the drugstore and bought a chemical fire cream. (I know, I know!) I'm regretting it ever since. I am so angry with myself because I had accomplished so much to only have a big set back like this one. But I didn't think I could take care of my hair on my own, and I had always been able to just put it in a pony tail if it was relaxed and I couldn't get to the salon to have some one style it for me.

Needless to say, I'm starting all over. I've been chemical free for 5months now, and vow to never touch another jar of chemical fire cream. I have been spending every chance I get on the web to learn how to care for natural hair and to try and learn hair styled that I can do on my own. That's actually how I got to this group. I joined another group "LockitUp" because I'm very fond of the microlocks and told my story. Another member told me about this group that would help me with my natural hair maintenance until I am able to eventually get locks. I guess the only good thing (if there is such a thing) about the last chemical fire cream I put in my hair is that it didn't take all the way, so it isn't all straight and there is still a lot of texture(coils) in my hair.

I hope by joining this group, that I'll get a lot of "know-how" on how to style/care for my hair and what to do while my hair is transitioning back to it's natural state.

Thanks for reading and hope to be chatting with you all soon.

Take care.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't beat your self up for backsliding....lots of people do it, especially when they are at a loss for how to care for their hair. It's great that you found NP...welcome....enjoy your journey!!
    ~African Cheetah~

7 to 9 (stretched) inches of thick, curly, coily tresses

last cfc - June 10, 2006
    big chop - February 5, 2007

2 years nappy...and many more!

fotki updated September 1st

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

African Cheetah,

Thanks for the encouragement! It's a little comforting to know that backsliding is something others have experienced.

At times I just can't help but to get upset with myself knowing how far I had gotten to only backslide. But maybe that is what I needed to realize that I didn't want to be "there"(meaning relaxers), anymore.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the family.