Thread: New Sisterlocks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my sisterlocks at the end of October and they are coming along nicely. I want to put some krinkly/curls to spice it up. Is it okay to put a small amount of mousse to help it hold?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi blackcoffee, I haven't done any research on caring for locs but I do know that mousse products are very drying to the hair. I would think you would want to keep them moisturized instead of drying them out. after moisturizing, I would follow up with a natural hair gel, jelly, butter, or pudding. I am sure others will jump in and offer their excellent advice. I personally like shea butter as a base and their are wonderful recipes in the homemade section of the forum. I posted "Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream" at http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...4&#entry1814334. I love it personally. But as everyone here will tell you, different products work for different people. I would definitely stay away from products with a lot of additives and target natural or homeade products.
    LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!

Use code CAR231 for $5 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com.

Kinky Rhonnie's Hair Album

My Blog - Kinky Rhonnie's Spot

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA with new2naptural, mousse always dried my hair out when I was a permie. I usually set my SLs on rollers and mist lightly with plain water... I was surprised the first time that I set them and found that the curls lasted for days because I couldn't get my relaxed hair to hold curls without spritzing it to death. The consultant who handled my installation also suggested mixing Lottabody and water in spray bottle and using that to set my curls but I don't like the scent (I think I saw Blaqkofi mention using it on her blog as well).

HTH!
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/NappturalBeauty07/"]My Fotki[/url] and [url="http://nappturalbeauty07.blogspot.com/"]blog[/url]

<div align="center">[color=#993399]Life is about change. Sometimes it&#39;s painful. Sometimes it&#39;s beautiful. Most of the time it&#39;s both.[/color]</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Blackcoffee,

I`am newly sisterlocked. I read on LockItUp, Yahoo health group, that the sisterhood is recommending Taliah Waajid`s Crinkle and curl styling foam for locks. It`s 99%natural, ( except for the copolymer that is used in most styling lotions to hold the curl) and it does not leave a residue of the hair.

Minimize manipulating your locks while you are in the baby stage, It prolongs the lock process.

God Bless

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"the sisterhood is recommending Taliah Waajid`s Crinkle and curl styling foam"[/b]
    I use Taliah Waadjid&#39;s Black Earth Products Protective Mist Bodifier for detangling and the Lock it Up gel for my two-strand twist. I love her products. RC
    LIFE ISN&#39;T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...IT&#39;S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!

Kinky Rhonnie&#39;s Hair Album

My Blog - Kinky Rhonnie&#39;s Spot

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since your locks are so new, why not just try a braidout on semi damp hair for a crimped look or flat twists for a more wavy effect. I don&#39;t have SLs but I have been locked since Sept and am trying not to use anything on them yet since they are still babies.

Carmen, I wish I was in the States back in Sept I would have had to let you hook me up gurl!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My geography is bad but I don&#39;t think I&#39;m near there, LOL! Although, I do pray we can retire to Charlotte one day in the future. The good thing is though when I place my orders you can send through the USPS since we have delivery on base through our APO boxes.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will admit that I don&#39;t have sisterlocks, but my loctician used the same tool to start and mantain mine and she IS a sisterlock consultant. She used Elasta QP styling foam from about 3 months in to style my locs... and I used it all through the first year.

I still use it for rollersets. I haven&#39;t had any problems.
    "So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten,
    You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied,
    And My people shall never be put to shame"
    --------------------- Joel 2: 25, 27

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, thanks TamaraBella. I do have a full installation lined up and I do a retightening tomorrow. I&#39;m excited and trying to get certified quickly. I have two Tomoka&#39;s Twists that made it to St. Albans Hertfordshire. Are you near there?
    [/b]
    Yeah!!! I&#39;m the proud recipient of those tomoka&#39;s twists! They&#39;re really beautiful. Like I say, if I was near you you&#39;d be installing my sls. *sigh* such is life.
    God is faithful

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New2naptural, are you still in the Triad? I&#39;m in High Point. If you or anyone you know wants to get Sisterlocks let me know. I&#39;m a Sisterlock Trainee and need two more clients to become a certified consultant. That means my prices are really low.

http://carmennc.blogspot.com
    [/b]
    Hi Carmen, I am still in the triad. I live in Winston, which you know is only about 15 minutes from HP. Sorry but I am not looking to lock. I don&#39;t want anything permanent. Just enjoying this journey and looking forward to experimenting with various loose styles for now. I will keep you in mind if I come across folks. Do You have a shop/store in HP? I have been on your blog numerous times and will definitely be purchasing some of your beautiful accessories in the new future. I am only 15 weeks in transition so I have such a long way to go. Any natural stylist in HP?
    LIFE ISN&#39;T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...IT&#39;S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!

Kinky Rhonnie&#39;s Hair Album

My Blog - Kinky Rhonnie&#39;s Spot