jemilla is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IT'S ON 2ND AND MAIN ST, IN DOWNTOWN LOUISVILLE.

HERE'S THIER WEBSITE BIG CITY STYLES

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do they create any styles other than dreds? Who should I ask for?

View My fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ask for shakoorah and ask her what styles she does.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to Shakoorah about a year ago before she joined this salon. At that time, she had just moved here from Baltimore, where she said she had done natural hair for 8 years. She did a set of twists on me that were really good. She said she also does coils and locs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting . . . I called her approx. 2 weeks ago and asked her about doing flat twists on my hair and she had no idea what I was talking about. After a few minutes of explaining, she was like oh no, I don't know how to do those.

I also tried Tyishia over at JBM and I had a horrible experience. I actually went in for my appointment, but I ended up leaving in the middle of my service.

Any other recommendations? I am really not a do-it-yourselfer and I would love to find a regular stylist in Louisville to do my hair.

View My fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that is interesting. If Shakoorah can do 2-strand twists, it doesn't seem like flat twists would be much of a stretch. Go figure.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with Tyishia. You're not the only one. I went to her two or three times last year without any problems, but everyone else I referred to her has either had problems with her not returning calls or taking too long. Even the person who referred me to her has had problems with her. It's really too bad because most of her clients are natural, the salon is pretty nice, and she does a lot of styles, like coils, locs, rod sets and flat twists.

Here are the other stylists that I know of that do natural hair in Louisville:

Nicole, Gregory Michael's Salon, 502-459-9434, 2015 Longest Ave, www.gregorymichaelssalon.com. I went to Nicole once to get my hair cut and had a great experience. She is from Louisville, moved to Atlanta for while and did hair in a natural hair salon, and has now moved back to Louisville. Pros: She loves natural hair and tries to convince all of her clients to go natural. She has been trained in the Pivot method of cutting hair (something like Miss Jessie's "Angle & Balance" method.") She's the only stylist I've ever known to give steam deep conditioning treatments, which is extremely cool. The salon is nice and professional (they offer you something to drink, and Nicole has an assistant who washes your hair). Cons: She does not do braids or twist styles or locs. She can do a kind of shake-n-go type of style, but she mostly (I think) does a lot of f.latironing.

Andrea, Mahogany Image Salon, 502-589-0927, 501 W Oak Street--she did a good job on my twists, but the salon is not as nice as JBM and Gregory Michael's.

Ms. Fatou, 502-671-5565, 502-379-3237: hair braiding and twists with extensions. Ms. Fatou and her nieces (?) work out of an apartment. They do great work, but make sure they don't braid too tight!

Be sure and let me know how it goes.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, I have been really dishearted by the 4 Louisville stylist I have talked to at this point. I have not given up, but I'm slowly realizing there are slim pickins here. They say they do natural hair, but after asking a few probing questions they make me very uneasy and I'm not trying to pay somebody money to make me look like boo boo the fool and piss me off. My hair is at a bad funky in between length and I'm looking for a creative stylist to help me out until I make it through this rough patch.

I'm considering going to Naturally Nubian in Cincinnati. I spoke with the stylist there and she makes the most sense of anybody I've talked to, I just have to figure out if I'm gonna make that 1 1/2 committment to drive.

View My fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh . . . I meant to put this in the last reply.

My dilema is, I think there is a difference between somebody who says "Yeah I can do twisties" and somebody who is knowledgeable of natural hair and knows how to handle it differently than permed hair but realizes that they have many of the same qualities, can style natural hair, and is not scared of my hair when they see me walk through the door, my hair is moisturized when I leave, and I'm looking cute when I walk out of the door.

I am leery of anybody that calls two strand twists "twisties" and that's basically all they know how to do to natural hair. I don't mind if they have clients with relaxers, but if two strand twists are the only thing you know how to do to natural hair and you rarely do those, YOU DON'T DO NATURAL HAIR! So, don't lie . . .

Sorry I'm getting way off subject. Anyway, thanks for all your help! I definitely appreciate the information that you gave me and I will follow up with those stylists. I will probably give Ms.Fatou a call in the next month to get my hair braided, but I am also leery of going to Africans to get natural hairstyles done. My personal experience with Africans has been that they do not know how to take care of natural hair either, but they can braid the fool outta some hair and I don't mind paying them for it. I have never had a bad experience getting my hair braided by an African.

Anway, those are just my hang-ups . . . hopefully I will find a stylist at some point. In the meantime, I'll just keep practicing on myself.

Thanks for your help ladies!

View My fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ ok. so what questions do you have when you call the stylist?

not sure why shakoorah can't do flat twists.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand your frustration with finding someone in the area to do your hair. Unfortunately, Kentucky has not caught up with bigger cities in terms of having hairstylists knowledgeable in natural hair (at least that I've found). I normally do my own hair for that reason (and also to save money). I haven't worked up the courage to cut my own hair yet though, so I normally go to someone for that. I was pleased with my trim by Nicole, so I will probably go to her again. I will say that she was extremely happy to see my big puff when I walked in the door. She told me later that she was like, "Finally!" because that's what she was used to seeing in Atlanta.

Anyway, the lack of natural hairstylists in this area really motivates me to notify all the naturals I can when I find someone who is at least willing to do natural hair. Hopefully, one of these days I'll run across someone who knows what they're doing. To all the Kentucky naturals out there, let us know if/when you find someone good!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast