kinkykea is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greeting All.. I've done a search and am having trouble finding a post about maximum length. I remember reading a post a while back about how we each have a maximum length our hair will grow despite our best efforts. If you're familiar with the post, would you mind replying with a link to that post?
    After almost three months, I've finally uploaded my May June & July Updates: http://public.fotki.com/Kinkykea/

star13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe it's called terminal length but I don't remember ever seeing a post about it. The best way to find out your terminal length is to wait and see.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greeting All.. I've done a search and am having trouble finding a post about maximum length. I remember reading a post a while back about how we each have a maximum length our hair will grow despite our best efforts. If you're familiar with the post, would you mind replying with a link to that post?
    [/b]
    i cant think of any particular post that talks about this.. but your hair grows in 3 different cycles
    Phase 1 – Anagen
    The anagen phase is the growing, or the ‘on’ phase. In humans, this lasts for approximately 1,000 days, but can range from 2 to 6 years. During the anagen phase, hair cells grow rapidly, producing the hair shaft from the follicle, which itself grows deeper into the scalp. The length of your anagen phase determines the maximum length of your hair. So, the longer your anagen phase, the longer your hair will grow.

Phase 2 – Catagen
    The catagen phase only lasts for one to two weeks. It is the transitional or regressive phase. Essentially, it is when the hair stops growing. During this period, the hair follicle shrinks and part of it starts to die.

Phase 3 – Telogen
    The telogen phase is the final resting stage, or ‘off’ phase.
    When the old hair is in this phase, the hair follicle becomes active again and a new hair in the anagen phase develops, forcing the old telogen hair out. This is when you might notice hairs in the bath or in your brush or comb.
    At any one time, around 90% of most people's hair follicles are in the ‘growing’ anagen phase and approximately 10% are in the ‘resting’, or telogen, phase.

--- there are ways to extend your phase 1, phase 2and your growth rate. bodies that are operating at their peak performance will lead to follicles working at their peak, so eating right, exercising, getting enough rest and leading a happy and balanced life will go a long way. also certain things are said to be root strengtheners (like many of the ayurvedic herbs suchs as shikakai, amla, neem, bhringraj, etc)

so taking the average numbers, if your hair grew 6 inches a year and you retained all of that by the end of 1,000 you'd have 18 inches of hair.as for maximum length, i think it's a personal thing because it all depends on how fast your hair grows, how well you take care of your ends and how long your growth cycle is.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star's got it. A persons terminal length is the maximun length your hair can grow. The length of the growth cycle and how fast your hair grows during that time is going to determine the maximun length. It's genetically determined person by person not by race. You know how some peoples' hair gets to neck length and then it breaks off and they say their hair just won't grow? That's not a terminal length, that's breakage. I think hair gets to it's terminal length and just won't grow. Most people should at least be able to get to apl because 2 years is the average growth cylce.
    Transitioning start March 07
    BC date: Sunday, March 9, 2008

kinkykea is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star's got it. A persons terminal length is the maximun length your hair can grow. The length of the growth cycle and how fast your hair grows during that time is going to determine the maximun length. It's genetically determined person by person not by race. You know how some peoples' hair gets to neck length and then it breaks off and they say their hair just won't grow? That's not a terminal length, that's breakage. I think hair gets to it's terminal length and just won't grow. Most people should at least be able to get to apl because 2 years is the average growth cylce.
    [/b]

I agree.. I really do believe that hair length is determined genetically. When I look around my family, nobody has long, full heads of hair. I notice in some other families everyone has long hair. I really doubt the long haired family is doing anything different than my family to care for their hair. I do however believe that although my hair will never be BSL, it does have a terminal length that it has never realized.

Excuse my ignorance. I know SBL is shoulder blade length and BSL is bra strap length but what is APL? lol.. Im still getting hip to NP lingo.
    After almost three months, I've finally uploaded my May June & July Updates: http://public.fotki.com/Kinkykea/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree.. I really do believe that hair length is determined genetically. When I look around my family, nobody has long, full heads of hair. I notice in some other families everyone has long hair. I really doubt the long haired family is doing anything different than my family to care for their hair. I do however believe that although my hair will never be BSL, it does have a terminal length that it has never realized.

Excuse my ignorance. I know SBL is shoulder blade length and BSL is bra strap length but what is APL? lol.. Im still getting hip to NP lingo.
    [/b]
    Keep in mind that alot of people don't know what their terminal legnth is because they do potentially damaging things to it which would be the case if you mean "not long and full" as in damaged or they keep it cut. Some people just don't have to do as much to keep their hair long and thick. Only 3 people in my extended family have hair past apl and that's me my twin and my mom so I'm all for staking it out on your own and seeing how far you can take things. You never know until you try.

APL = arm pit length, the part were your arm meats your body in the back.
    Transitioning start March 07
    BC date: Sunday, March 9, 2008

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow great information, I know so many people expected my daughter to have all this beautiful long hair because her father and I are mixed but neither one of us has really long hair. She has average length hair and I usually hit BSL before I got to breakage with relaxers. Currently my fro is about 2 inches curled; stretched 6 inches.

I slicked it down after a shampoo with Infusium23 last month and wrapped it, when I took it down it was almost BSL again.