Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do any of you guys have super thick and dense hair? I really would like to hear from other people that have this kind of hair and see what your routines are. I am not a good self-styler and I am really struggling with things to do with my hair and and how to deal with it even though I have been natural for around 3.5 years. Whenever I go to work I always get compliments about how cute my hair is and that makes me happy but i would just like to know some more things I can do with my hair because just getting a comb through the thickness is so tough! Thanks for the help!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you do now?

I have thick hair. Very thick! I like to do twists, and they take forever to do. Right now I am wearing it out and doing big twists at night.
    SheSnappi.com -- See me there

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is really REALLY thick. The kind of thick where you have to part it in water to make sure it is all getting wet...the kind of thick that would snatch a comb and get lost. Lately i've been doing my hair in twists because it's cold weather now and I don't wanna use up all my products by trying to maintain the moisture. I did box braids at one time and they came out really cute!

You mentioned routines....well I hardly shampoo my hair these days because I don't want any dryness. I'm co-washing once a week now when I take the twists out and then I'll re-twist. I'm really into oils now because my hair loves it. My favs are 100% extra virgin coconut oil, castor oil, vegetable glycerin and jojoba oil. I'm gonna be getting some Vatika Oil soon because i've heard only wonderful things about it :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is SUPER SUPER SUPER thick!! Something that makes my hair easier to get a comb through is deep conditioning... I have to deep condition once a week because my hair soaks everything up and it's difficult to keep it moisturized... Something else that softens it up is cornrowing it up... I put it in big fat cornrows at night, not only to stretch it, but also to soften it up. When i take my braids out in the morning and let the steam from the shower hit it... After I get out of the shower I add a small amount of coconut oil and comb thru... My hair gets very soft and manageable after that... HTH!! :wub:
    ~The Artist Formerly Known as Kanye~
    My Youtube
    My Twittah...

"Naw, shawty, eat yo breakfiss". (c) Intel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys! I have problems getting my hair wet down to the roots because its so thick! I really like the cornrow idea and im gonna look at getting some coconut oil and jojoba oil. I wish i could have the patience to twist my hair but I think I might have to have my hair stylist show me how to do it good.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! i love how as the posts go along each persons hair is more thick than the last. well, here's my contrubution: my hair is SUPER-DEE-DUPER ULTRA OPTIMUS PRIME THICK!!!! :lol:
    no but seriously yesh i have thick hair too. to get minz wet i just stand under tha water til i finally feel it on my scalp....lol! sometimes ill press down on my hair so the water wont have such a journey. but yesh....at the length it is now, i hafta keep it stretched because if i dont i get LITERALLY hundreds od SSKs and those lil bastards will be the death of me i swear!!! right now im doin a PSC so i wont hafta worry about that.

but i wash (or co-wash depending on when it is), put watever leave-in or creme i decide to use in it, then seal it wit an oil (usually avacado), and then ill BAND my hair cuz that has by far been the best way to stretch it for me. or ill put em in big twists that take forever because i forget every time how much hurr iz got. lol then i wake up, spritz, and go on wit my day!
    2nd Nappiversary October 30, 2009! Check out my fotki! Updated 3/5/10! Enjoy! No pw!
    Username: QueenVictoria

Hit up my twitter! Username: THEVictoriaMack

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have thick hair as well. It's difficult for me right now too b/c my hair is in that in between phase. Not a TWA anymore but still not really long. Anyway, I don't really comb my hair often. I only use a comb to detangle. The rest of the time I just use my fingers. When I'm wetting my hair, I just let the water run over my hair. I move my head back then forward then on each side and then massage it through w/my fingers to make sure it's all getting saturated. Then I saturate my hair w/Shea Butter CHolesterol COnditioner by Lustrasilk. I've found that this is by far the best conditioner to stretch out the hair and make it easier to detangle. Then I grab hair in sections and gently comb through each section from very ends to roots very gently w/a wide tooth comb. I wish I could do the big braids or twists at night, but my hair is just too short for it. What I can do is flat twist it straight back, but honestly, I usually just wrap my loose hair w/a scarf and hope for the best in the morning! lol But I cowash almosty daily which helps me. I've found that my hair is most manageable when it's wet. It's easier to comb through, apply product, etc. On a daily basis, I usually just wear my afro b/c even though I'm good at protective styles, I get bored w/them easily. After cowashing in the morning w/VO5 Moisture Milks, I apply Quenched CUrls Moisturizer to soaking wet hair, followed by CUrls Whipped Cream. I apply product in sections as well to make sure every strand is getting covered. Then I shake, shake, shake. Nod, nod, nod. SHake, shake, shake. Tie a headband around the front, then go! Lately, I've been usung shealoe instead b/c I ran out of Curls and can't afford to buy anymore right now :0( I did put some bantu knots in my hair Thursday night, and I still have those in. I will probably keep these until Monday and make a knot out Monday morning. Hopefully, it will look better than my twist outs. :rolleyes: I really am thinking about getting some braids right now though and calling it a day...
    ALBUM UPDATED 08/29/08, CHECK IT OUT!

www.fotki.com/mzpoetic

password: curlynaps

last album Sept-Dec password: nappycurls

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then I shake, shake, shake. Nod, nod, nod. SHake, shake, shake. Tie a headband around the front, then go! [/b]
    fftop: but.....*giggles* that could be the premise for the newest down south rap song!
    "Then i shake shake shake! nod nod nod! shake shake shake! and gooooooooooooooo!!!"
    2nd Nappiversary October 30, 2009! Check out my fotki! Updated 3/5/10! Enjoy! No pw!
    Username: QueenVictoria

Hit up my twitter! Username: THEVictoriaMack

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have super thick, super coily hair. I do twist & twistouts mainly. The twists can take a long time depending on the size, but it's a good easy to maintain style for me. As far as getting a comb thru it, I don't do it often. Only when I detangle & I don't do that with every wash.

Some of you mentioned having problems getting your hair really wet when washing. . .I don't think I have that problem. I wash in the shower with a removable shower head. Best creation ever!!!
    Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever. ~ Audre Lorde

My Fotki Album - NO PASSWORD REQUIRED
    Check me out on MySpace or on Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have beautiful THICK hair which I LOVE!! Like the other thick haired sistahs mentioned, I normally wear twists. They are easier to do than cornrows and braids and easier to maintain. Yes, it does take a while to do my twists depending on the size, but I love the end result. :wub:

As far as getting a comb through my hair, I've had a couple combs break while trying to comb my hair but I'm learning that if I part and detangle in sections, it works a lot better than trying to comb from root to end.

I wash in the shower with a removable shower head. Best creation ever!!!
    [/b]
    Hmmm... I need to invest in one of those. :unsure:

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast