a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted in this thread a while back and I have thick hair, however, I don't think I have super thick hair. You all can look at my fotki and tell me. I just tried a detangling routine that a member posted a while back and my hair loved it. I wore twists for almost a week and then a twist-out for 2 days. Normally, I would wash my hair first and then detangle with conditioner in the shower. This time, I put conditioner in my dry hair and detangled, then washed it in the shower. I am in love! It took about 5 minutes to detangle. My hair wasn't overly tangled though. I had just detangled about a week before when I put the twists in and my hair is about 6" long.
    I don't know which member posted this routine, but I want to thank you, that comb just glided through my hair. I know that this will make my life easier as my hair gets longer.

hey let me ask yall. i havent been lucky enough to play in any nappy's hair, but when yall wash your hair, does it soak up the water and lay flat? or no? that's how mine does and then when it dries it PUFFS OUT AND ABOUT AND BEYOND!!!! cause by the time my hair FINALLY soaks up all the water it's laying flatter and i just part my hair into two halves with my hand and put the shampoo right on my scalp
    [/b]
    Well my hair doesn't completely lay flat, but the weight of the water pulls it down and flattens it out some. It is still very textured though. Once I turn off the water and squeeze the water out it draws back up and as it dries it will reach its full shrinkage.

Maybe its just me, but I can't dilute my shampoo too much. If I do its like 2 or 3 parts shampoo to 1 part water, most of the time I use it straight. Using a cup to pour it doesn't work for me either, because not enough gets to my scalp and then I have scalp crud (you know the unidentifiable substance under your fingernails after you scratch your scalp), so I end up using it straight. I just put it onto my hair in sections. Now, Dr. Bronner's I dilute and put into a color applicator bottle, so I can squirt it onto my scalp. That works great.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Ah yes, I have superrrrrrrr thick and superrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dense hair. . .. .AND it's like 2 TOTALLY different textures (like night and day), AND it's really long (down my back when stretched out). . . . ...struggle ain't even the word.. . LOL. . .but I love it.
    I have to admit, because I have so much of it, I DON'T take care of it like I'm supposed to. . ..pure laziness. (hey, low manipulation is never a BAD thing). . ..And I don't really rock "styles". . ...I don't have the patience to twist and braid and I can't cornrow. . ...
    But when I do decide to DO it, (lol).. . ..I ONLY detangle in the shower (no where else)....I swear by qhemet biologics Olive Cream Conditioner & Detangler. . ..it's the bestest. Take my Denman brush to it and plait it up, all in the shower. When i get out the shower I put a mixture of extra vigin olive oil and qhemets heavy cream on every strand and just let it air dry. See, I LOVE my big dookie braids but I've met a lot of nappiez that wouldn't be caught dead w/ the "Ms. Sealy's" in PUBLIC, lol. So, my hair would actually be in dookie braids way more than a few days. When I do decide to take it out, I leave it OUT for MORE THAN A FEW DAYS ALSO. (too lazy to plait it up everytime I take it out). . ..and that's how it becomes unmanageable alll over again. Then it's time to grab the tools and hop in the shower and do it all over again. LOL. .. . .
    Right now tho 4 the 1st time ever, i have box braids. . ..(my mom parted it and I braided it). . ...it's the best. I don't have to touch it and it's just growing like crazy. I'm actually about to wash my hair with the brids in. I'll let you know how that goes. :unsure: lol. . ..
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/CLAWZGALAW/hairanddress.jpg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of you thick hairs are cowashing? If so is your hair "loose" then you put in big twists to cowash? If you do this how do you wear your hair?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to co-wash a lot last summer but i don't anymore
    too much work :lol: and my hair takes longer to dry
    i usually wear my hair in shrunkren fros and from time to time i'll do twists... ^_^

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is very thick and can be a burden as it gets longer which is why I am glad that it is short right now. Once it grows out I may just pay someone to wash it for me because my arms even get tired. lol For now I just section it into 4 parts and do one section at a time when putting twists in it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is very thick also and use to be almost impossible for me to comb through without lots of pain, breakage and me eventually giving up. I started making my own hair conditioner (a concoction I found here on NP!!) and it has really help my hair become manageable and I also notice that there is less breakage.

When I wash, I comb and brush my hair during the process. Then I apply my home made conditioner and moisterizer. Afterwards, I sit under the dryer for about 30 minutes.

At night before I go to bed I comb and brush through my hair really good and then put it in a plait or two. This helps me keep my thick hair soft and manageable!! Hope this helps :wub:
    [/b]
    I forgot I posted this here!! Forget the blow dryer and definitely not for 30 minutes. Doing this took the top of my hair off!! I would stay under too long! It's ok to blow dry for an emergency though (but not a whole 30 minutes) .

Anyway, I cut like 4 inches off of my hair in Febuary and my hair has been growing by leaps and bounds!! Imma have to post some picks. My hair goal is to be 3 to 4 inches past my shoulder come next Feb. Right now it is about two inches past my ear. When I first cut it, it was only about 3inches overall.
    AMERICAN GIRL!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of you thick hairs are cowashing? If so is your hair "loose" then you put in big twists to cowash? If you do this how do you wear your hair?
    [/b]
    I co wash quite a bit. My hair is loose....i tried doing it in sections but it took me waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long!!! right now, even at APL, its easier for me to do it completely loose. i can just finger-comb it in the shower and shake shake shake.....and im good! Then i plait it and take it down...puff it up, and fro' up culture-deprived college town i live in.
    2nd Nappiversary October 30, 2009! Check out my fotki! Updated 3/5/10! Enjoy! No pw!
    Username: QueenVictoria

Hit up my twitter! Username: THEVictoriaMack

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wide tooth comb and some conditioner are my best friends. I love twists and twist-outs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wanted to say thanks in advance to all of the people who posted! I have extremely thick hair! It was extra thick when I had a chemical fire cream and transition was literally HELL for me. Now that I have been natural for a little over a year, I am paying more attention to my hair and how I treat and style it. Shrinkage is SOOOOOO bad for me!! I have at least 5 inches of hair (It was longer, but I often cut it when those little buckshot knots magically appear on the ends) but it is usually worn as a curly fro because I can't do much more with it. It is manageable in the front and I can usually work out the sides, but the middle is what I call, "no man's land." It is rough!!! Even when I do cornrows or twists (which I can't seem to get right), it is the oughest part of my head because every strand of hair is tightly coilled. They are curly like babydoll curls, but they are TIGHT. I don't get a whole lot of scalp build up, so I wash my hair VERY infrequently. We're talkin like twice (maybe) a month. I just get sooo frustrated and up set that I can't comb it! I considered cutting it off or locking it just so I wouldn't have to deal, but now that I know a couple of tricks, I'll try these. So needless to say, this has been very helpful! I'm going to try washing it while it's twisted then letting it dry twisted and rocking a twist out... I'm sure its easier said than done!!
    "Be an artist in public speaking, so that you may [b]prevail[/b], for the [b]power [/b] of a man is in the [b]tongue[/b], and speech is [b]mightier[/b] than any fighting." -Merikare

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/b]

I cowash my hair loose and like EmpressRi my hair tends to lie flat on my hair when its soaking wet but puffs right up when it starts drying. I've been wearing shrunken fros but I'm noticing I'm getting more tangles lately. My hair is just reaching 5 inches and I'm starting to think soon I'll have to wash in sections.
    Old SN name Soontobenappy
    Transition period 10-6-07 to 6-20-08
    BC 6-20-08 100% Nappy and Loving it!!
    http://members.fotki.com/soontobenappy/ - Finally Updated 4-2013
    Check me on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/NowIAmNappy?feature=mhum

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast