Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    Went to the derm yesterday and his prognosis was grim He told me that there's not much to be done about issues related to scalp/hair disorders and that in his practice, he noted that either these things get resolved by themselves or never! He doesn't even have a diagnosis for me! Obviously, I have a hard time accepting that.
    Why are we instructed to see a derm for these kinds of issues if there's nothing that can be done medically???

He didn't talk about any alternatives and if I hadn't researched this prior to visiting him, I wouldn't know jack. I had to insist to get scalp injections. He gave them to me, but he says he doubts that's gonna help and that if it doesn't, that's it. I've been crying my eyes out.

Since I have to be proactive about it, I was wondering, for the ladies who have had injections, how many did you have and at what intervals. When do you assume it doesn't work and call it quits? Is Rogaine the very last resort? If anybody can shed some light on this, I would SO APPRECIATE IT.

Thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Hatshepsut68,

First I want to say I feel your pain. In all that we do seek God first and foremost and cast your cares and worries upon him. Pray about it and ask God to let hair grow where there was none. Every day thank Him for the beautiful, thick full head of hair that he has blessed you with. When there seems to be no way God will make a way.

I too have suffered from hair loss on my edges and have noticed that I have a bald spot in the center of my head. I have been to the Derm (black female) here in NYC and she gave me the injections and instucted me to use Rogaine for Men twice a day on my edges. I must admit that I have seen an improvment. I have been receiving injections since late Sept. 2007. I have had two so far, the last one in November. I am scheduled to get another one this coming Feb. My hair hasn't grown back to the point where you can't notice that it is thinner than the rest of my hair but it is a great improvement over what it was before (almost completely bald). I can at least slick down the edges and add some gel to make it look nice. I must admit that I do not use the Rogaine religiously like she said but I am sure if I did it may have given me slightly better results. Keep in mind that the injections do not guarantee hair regrowth if there is scar tissue underneath and the follicule is completely gone. I do have one or two spots where that is the issue and I can slightly see the scar tissue on the surface of the scalp. However, since the other parts are growing in it does allow me to stlye the edges with the gel to cover up these areas. I still have a long way to go but I am getting there. I still braid my hair in cornrows but I go to the same stlyist who knows my situation and she is very gentel and does not braid my edges. She starts the braid with my own hair and adds pieces as she braids. I find the cornrows to be better than box braids when you have this condition. You can get styles that can somewhat cover the front or wherever you might have balding issues at. I occassionaly wear wigs just to give my hair and scalp a break also. I think I might put a weave in as well to give it a break while it is going through the treatment phase. I just want to be comfortable wearing my natural styles without feeling self conscience about the front.

If you live in NYC I can recommend the derm I go to.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    Went to the derm yesterday and his prognosis was grim He told me that there's not much to be done about issues related to scalp/hair disorders and that in his practice, he noted that either these things get resolved by themselves or never! He doesn't even have a diagnosis for me! Obviously, I have a hard time accepting that.
    Why are we instructed to see a derm for these kinds of issues if there's nothing that can be done medically???

He didn't talk about any alternatives and if I hadn't researched this prior to visiting him, I wouldn't know jack. I had to insist to get scalp injections. He gave them to me, but he says he doubts that's gonna help and that if it doesn't, that's it. I've been crying my eyes out.

Since I have to be proactive about it, I was wondering, for the ladies who have had injections, how many did you have and at what intervals. When do you assume it doesn't work and call it quits? Is Rogaine the very last resort? If anybody can shed some light on this, I would SO APPRECIATE IT.

Thanks
    [/b]
    I received shots once a month for over a year, and I did notice some results. However, the spot never completely filled in, so I stopped getting the shots. Also, I was concerned about the long term side effects of the cortisone injections.