Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all!

For years I have been trying to find out information about my father's side of the family. His family (albeit scattered all across the USA) in NC are generally from the Beaufort county area (Washington, NC), and I was wondering if anyone on here knew anything about the "Arapahoe" (Pamlico/Pampticoe or Pampitough) peoples that inhabited that area? I was told on another website that back during the civil war, there was a multiracial enclave village in that part of the state (SE), but I'm not for sure however. If you look at his side of the family, and then look at me, there is absolutely NO mistake of there being any ad-mixture occuring but its driving me nuts because I'm trying to begin my geanology search and keep coming up short! :Angry: Any information you all could help me with will be greatly appreciated...thanks!
    [COLOR=green][B]I'm an unstoppable woman.[/B][/COLOR]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was born and raised in Beaufort County, NC and lived in the area for 28 years. My family is from the Washington, Belhaven and Hyde County. The last names include... Spencer, Slade, Ward, Windley and Moore. Just so you know, you are going to have a hard time finding official records in that area because it was VERY segregated until the mid-seventies. I'm not familiar with any Native-Amerian tribes in the area.

Let me know if I may help. I'm in Phoenix, but I'm very close to my family in NC.

-Sankofa

Hello all!

For years I have been trying to find out information about my father's side of the family. His family (albeit scattered all across the USA) in NC are generally from the Beaufort county area (Washington, NC), and I was wondering if anyone on here knew anything about the "Arapahoe" (Pamlico/Pampticoe or Pampitough) peoples that inhabited that area? I was told on another website that back during the civil war, there was a multiracial enclave village in that part of the state (SE), but I'm not for sure however. If you look at his side of the family, and then look at me, there is absolutely NO mistake of there being any ad-mixture occuring but its driving me nuts because I'm trying to begin my geanology search and keep coming up short! :Angry: Any information you all could help me with will be greatly appreciated...thanks!
    [/b]
    "Turn away from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it." Tehillim 34:14
    my blog-http://considerthecost.wordpress.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was born and raised in Beaufort County, NC and lived in the area for 28 years. My family is from the Washington, Belhaven and Hyde County. The last names include... Spencer, Slade, Ward, Windley and Moore. Just so you know, you are going to have a hard time finding official records in that area because it was VERY segregated until the mid-seventies. I'm not familiar with any Native-Amerian tribes in the area.

Let me know if I may help. I'm in Phoenix, but I'm very close to my family in NC.

-Sankofa
    [/b]

My great grandmother was a Slade & she lived in Belhaven when she passed. I'll PM you. Bless!

*Sirius

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I'm not sure if this will help you but I know of 2 possible websites that you can look at. Google "Saponi town forum" as well as the Roanoke Mattamuskeet Indian tribe. I am assuming that the Arapaho are of the same language family (algonquin). The Roanoke Indians may know some history on those people. Unfortunately, I don't personally know people from that tribe so I don't have any names. At Saponi town forum, most of the Indians that they discuss seem to be of the siouan language group, but there are a couple of folks that are really knowledgeable on there who might be able to point you in the right direction.

My cousin, a member of one of the Pee Dee Indian Tribes in South Carolina, started a yahoo group a couple of years ago. Folks may not be able to help you too much on there, but the people are nice and it is a good support group of Indian folks and folks with Indian ancestry. It is called "Native Sister Group" - feel free to join!