Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I bc'ed in 2002 when I was 18. Since then I have had 4 jobs, the first 2 as a CNA, the last 2 as an RN. The first one I was covered, wearing traditional Islamic hijab. Got the job. The 2nd one I wore a low puff. Got the job. The 3rd I wore a high puff. Got the job. The last/present I wore a BAA. Got the job. Oh, and by the way, these were the only positions I interviewed for. I don't concern myself with it. If an employer is going to think any less of me or negatively of me because I wear my hair the way GOD intended for it to be, covered or not, then I wouldn't want to work for that company anyways.

wele
    My intellectual capacity can far supercede
    even the greatest heights of your wildest dreams.
    I am who I am 'cause of what I believe.
    I now understand who I'm destined to be:
    Sistah Souldier and Queen- inherently.
    Never question, deny the spirit in me.
    Now and always, forever: REVOLUTIONARY!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a Registered Nurse and my Sisterlocks came after my career. My co-workers actually all comment that they wish that their hair can look like mine! Even my patients typically compliment my hair. My transition into sisterlocs was well received by everyone including family and friends and men that I have dated.
    -DJT

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work for Verizon Wireless and I was natural before I started working there. Thankfully, there are a lot of naturals/ dreads so it was never an issue
    My Great-Grandmother always said, "If you dont have your health, you dont have anything." She was right.

Heathy Living Tips

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Convo with a friend (who's a hidden nappy) about my career prospects resulted in her saying many people with nappy hair usually do it when they have become successful or when they decide to do a job which allows them to express themselves i.e be a poet or writer or muscian ect.

Does anyone think being nappy decreases their chances in the work place, or in any other areana in social mobility i.e finding a man, being excepted by family etc? (my daddy loves my hair ^_^ ) Have things been going too well for me maybe because i havn't had a real job yet?

I'm a student in my final year and really would like to know whether i should be worried, because i like to express myself with my hair, am i gonna have to tame it down? :unsure:

What kind of careers and experiences do you sista's have op:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://members.fotki.com/Asabi22/about/
    [/b]
    Honestly i didn't really think it was a problem until my career development teacher told me that i "needed to do something wit my hair" if i want to get a job...Saying that my hair was "UNPROFESSIONAL" So after that conversation I actionaly went around to different businesses managers asking about my hair..Honestly, most said that it was fine and they wouldn't not hire me if my hair was for instance in a Afro or twist etc. I guess some are still loving being in ignorant bliss and others just get it..
    [size=7]Nappiness is Close To Godiness"[/size]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with you all. I received three job offers with my hair in braids when I was transitioning and I lived in conservative Arkansas. I work as a marketing research analyst. I had braids when I interviewed with the company that work in now. I then did the big chop a month after I started working there. I was really nervous when I went to work because I was taught that you should not were natural hair with a professional job. It is not even an issue at all. I even have more confidence with my hair being natural which gives me better results with my work.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the funny thing about this is...i work at a bank...now when I went in for the interview it was for a managerial position and I knew the people who would be interviewing me so rather than take a chance I just just rollerset my hair the night before...now once I got the job, I showed up the first day with two strand twists. The black people who were in my internview laughed and said I "played" the game and that my white manager (who is over the entire dept) would be upset...but oh well, I already had the job!!! Needless to say, my black co-workers were right, but she got over it!
    Never continue to hold the hand that holds U down...WE have to learn to let GO!!

I'm at PEACE with myself, so making PEACE with you is the easy part!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

So your hair style really does matter? I'm a college student and I'm really concerned about what I'll do with my natural hair as I search for internships and eventually a job....Comments...suggestions??
    Love me because I'm beautiful!!!
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/mebeckford/"]http://public.fotki.com/mebeckford/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in transition within my industry..got away with twistouts for 2 years bf the bc..then wore pieces,then wore it out, then locked it down...for 2 years now. i'm still in the industry.

I truely feel that natural hair isnt what holds people back, it's the mental confidence to stand and know that you are representing your most beautiful self. Now, with a perm, after years of nappiness, i would feel very inhibited...my mental has grown beyond the capacity that my skull can contain, well almost. :P

Im in conservative pharmaceuticals
    i have been a trainer as well in the field ...with locks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i bc'd i was in undergrad...im a school psychologist now and my hair has never stopped me from getting jobs...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a teacher, scholar, poet, researcher! I BC in undergrad and never looked back after that day when I became a warrior queen! My nappiness has been with me through undergrad, graduate school, job interviews, and working in mainstream society. I think that employers just care that you look professional and you have the credentials and references needed for the job.

Bless,
    Rasta
    "As you educate a woman, you educate the family. If you educate the girls, you educate the future."

Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan

Never be limited by other people's limited imaginations. If you adopt their attitudes, then the possiblity won't exist because you'll have already shut it out. You can hear other people's wisdom, but you've got to re-evaluate the world for yourself.
    Dr. Mae Jemison, astronaut

Run Isiah 40:31

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast