Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Convo with a friend (who's a hidden nappy) about my career prospects resulted in her saying many people with nappy hair usually do it when they have become successful or when they decide to do a job which allows them to express themselves i.e be a poet or writer or muscian ect.

Does anyone think being nappy decreases their chances in the work place, or in any other areana in social mobility i.e finding a man, being excepted by family etc? (my daddy loves my hair ^_^ ) Have things been going too well for me maybe because i havn't had a real job yet?

I'm a student in my final year and really would like to know whether i should be worried, because i like to express myself with my hair, am i gonna have to tame it down? :unsure:

What kind of careers and experiences do you sista's have op:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://members.fotki.com/Asabi22/about/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I joined the company that I work for (which is southern and ultra conservative), I was perming my hair. While with the company I decided it was time to natural and one day I came in with my hair all cut off. Sure they were in shock but they got used to it. 2 promotions later I am still with this company and I am just got promoted this month. I have been with this company since 2002.

I really do think that we as a people have more of a problem with our hair then people of other races do. I think that people of other races sometimes don’t understand our hair but I don’t think that they think nappy is bad or unprofessional. I am in marketing and I meet with huge companies and create deals with them all the time. I never feel like my hair is unprofessional. It just is………à¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â ¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦Ã ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚¦
    "No woman should believe that in order to be beautiful you have to be the opposite of what you are."
    -T'keyah Crystal Keymah

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started a new job this year and I had the same question and concern but employers do not care how your hair is fixed they care more about your professionalism
    The only person that you have to please in life is God. Stop trying to figure things out and force things to happen. Get as close to God as possible because He is the one that knows the plans for your life and He is the one that can make them happen.[size=5]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone think being nappy decreases their chances in the work place, or in any other areana in social mobility i.e finding a man, being excepted by family etc?
    [/b]
    Only if one believes it will.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think having natural hair is a hindrance or source of set back in any of the situations you described. Firstly, if one will be judged in the workplace because of their appearance (even though professional) as oppose to effectiveness and productivity then that surely is not a place I want to work anyway. The same concept goes for relationships and friendships.

To answer your question, I had natural hair prior to obtaining my current job. There are very few women in my organisation to begin with and 3 out of the 4 have natural hair

To date I have never been made to feel that my hair was deemed unprofessional or unattractive in the workplace.

Don't worry, take one day at a time and genuine people will not be concerned about your hair hun.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Convo with a friend (who's a hidden nappy) about my career prospects resulted in her saying many people with nappy hair usually do it when they have become successful or when they decide to do a job which allows them to express themselves i.e be a poet or writer or muscian ect.

Does anyone think being nappy decreases their chances in the work place, or in any other areana in social mobility i.e finding a man, being excepted by family etc? (my daddy loves my hair ^_^ ) Have things been going too well for me maybe because i havn't had a real job yet?

I'm a student in my final year and really would like to know whether i should be worried, because i like to express myself with my hair, am i gonna have to tame it down? :unsure:

What kind of careers and experiences do you sista's have op: [/b]
    You have really asked two different questions:

Does anyone think being nappy decreases their chances in the work place...?

Don't believe the hype...I work in corporate America and my hair has never been an issue...I've had successful nappy interviews, been hired, been promoted, and I am now a Director. I don't work in an artistic field either - I just don't think nappy hair has to be a big problem in the workplace.

As for your second question:

am i gonna have to tame it down?

The answer is "maybe". But "tame it down" does not mean getting a re.laxer or straightening your hair. You might have to choose more conservative styles depending on the field you go into and the company you work for. But that's true for everyone, nappy or straight-haired. Some fields are very stuffy and conservative and they have a very rigid corporate uniform. But even in companies like this, there is always a way to wear your natural hair - you never have to perm to succeed on the job.

If you are a black female, that's plenty to overcome right there...your hair will not be a big deal.
    Challenge Yourself.
    My Fotki: Becoming Natural Password: AuNaturel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a receptionist and I went nappy 6 months after getting my job. I don't think it has affected my job at all.

Edit: I'm a 19 year old college student so this isn't my career. My major is social work so that's what I'm going into.
    fotki: naturallykristin
    Napptural since November 2007
    3 big chops - most recent: April 2012
    Locs started: March 2, 2013 (started and maintained by interlocking)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't even put it in your head that being natural/nappy will be a problem. Its not at all.
    I have had interviews with my hair as a baldy, wild twistout, twists and puff . My hair may have gotten looks but my resume and knowledge was the main concern.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really do think that we as a people have more of a problem with our hair then people of other races do. I think that people of other races sometimes don’t understand our hair but I don’t think that they think nappy is bad or unprofessional.[/b]
    ITA!

i bc'ed in september. december i started my new job as a "clerical tech" at a university. i went to the interview with my twa & still got the job. now i'm rockin' a nappy weave... was scared to death to go to work with it but have recieved nothing but compliments.
    [b][SIZE=1]Therefore if any {wo}man be in Christ, {s}he is a[color=#FF99FF] NEW[/color] creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become [color=#FF99FF]NEW[/color]. {2 Corinthians 5:17}[/SIZE][/b]

need more new~new?
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/Imari/"]fotki[/url]

[url="http://newnewnewz.blogspot.com/"]blog[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was actually just offered an associate/assistant teacher job (for a childcare center, in the toddler room)
    that i interviewed for this past wednesday and did an in-class trial session for yesterday.

(they literally just called 2 hours ago saying they're interested in having me.)

i'm currently wearing twists in my hair
    that i've had in for 2 weeks (tomorrow will mark 2 weeks)

hair was definitely not an issue for me.
    been natural for over 2 years now.

ha i'm so excited!!!

[url="http://www.thehungersite.com"][b]The HUNGER Site[/b][/url]

<3,
    ...*Lekyta

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast