Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good way to let her express her individuality but still keep firm in your position as a parent to keep her natural is to buy a bunch of natural hair magazines (see if you can find some with kids in it too) and let her go throught the pages and pick the style she wants. Then you can try your best to duplicate the style. My mother did this for me and although she never actually did the style exactly the same, it always looked nice and I felt like I was picking what I wanted. Hope this helps!
    Last CFC: November 2004 BC & 100% Natural Since: March 25, 2005 (8 yrs!)
    View "My Hair Journey" (Parts 1 - 3) at: https://www.facebook.com/tiana.townsell/photos_albums
    Ms. Nappturality 2008, Ms. Black Washington USA 2009 The journey is the reward

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter and I go back and forth over this as well (she's 12). Her hair is growing, but she can't comb it her self because she shredds it. She want's to play in it all day. We alternate between twist, braids and twist extensions. She can do ponytails and updos with the longer extensions and it gives us both a break.
    public.fotki.com/firstladytj/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good way to let her express her individuality but still keep firm in your position as a parent to keep her natural is to buy a bunch of natural hair magazines (see if you can find some with kids in it too) and let her go throught the pages and pick the style she wants. Then you can try your best to duplicate the style. My mother did this for me and although she never actually did the style exactly the same, it always looked nice and I felt like I was picking what I wanted. Hope this helps!
    [/b]
    That's a good idea. I talked to her on Sunday and she told me she wanted me to do it in two strand twist again( I did it that way for the Hannah Montana concert and she loved it), but it took foreva and a day cuz she has the thickest hair in the universe and by the way her name is Tiana too

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good idea. I talked to her on Sunday and she told me she wanted me to do it in two strand twist again( I did it that way for the Hannah Montana concert and she loved it), but it took foreva and a day cuz she has the thickest hair in the universe and by the way her name is Tiana too
    [/b]
    Whoa, what a coincidence! I'm glad that you found my idea helpful! One Tiana helping out the other :lol:

~Tiana TT
    Last CFC: November 2004 BC & 100% Natural Since: March 25, 2005 (8 yrs!)
    View "My Hair Journey" (Parts 1 - 3) at: https://www.facebook.com/tiana.townsell/photos_albums
    Ms. Nappturality 2008, Ms. Black Washington USA 2009 The journey is the reward

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is absolutely no reason why a healthy 8 yr olds hair would stop growing! After any physical ailments have been ruled out by your pediatrician you can start DC'ing & treating her hair like lace the way we do on NP I bet she'll fall in love with her hair too!

Just letting her have a peek at the how i'm wearing my hair today thread will open up a whole new world for her. :wub:
    BC: April 1st 2007

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tried braids before. She doesn't like them very much and it's really hard to get anyone in these parts to do it without doing it too tight around her already thinning edges...She doesn't ask for her hair to be straight as much as she used too, but she had a dance this weekend and I took her to had it flat ironed(which I regretted the whole time) and she is loving it more than she does othewise. I have tried every style I can think of. I just thought if I could get her natural hair to grow longer then she would be just as happy with it, in addition to me trying to help her state of mind.
    [/b]
    If I were you I would pass on getting your daughter's hair cornrowed or braided with extensions since you said that her edges are thinning. Unless you want to do it yourself, that way you will know that it is not done too tightly. Her hair is still growing, just not retaining length. What are you doing differently now than before when you noticed her hair getting longer? Protective styling is always a good thing for retaining length, so maybe you can start there.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is absolutely no reason why a healthy 8 yr olds hair would stop growing! After any physical ailments have been ruled out by your pediatrician you can start DC'ing & treating her hair like lace the way we do on NP I bet she'll fall in love with her hair too!

Just letting her have a peek at the how i'm wearing my hair today thread will open up a whole new world for her. :wub:
    [/b]
    She went for a check up complete w/blood work in December and everything was all good. I usually do DC, every since I found this website I have been using the same things on her hair that I use on mine, avoiding all the bad stuff and using natural/organic poo+condish so idk. I will let her look at your hair when she gets home from skool....she loves looking at the diff. hair styles on here

If I were you I would pass on getting your daughter's hair cornrowed or braided with extensions since you said that her edges are thinning. Unless you want to do it yourself, that way you will know that it is not done too tightly. Her hair is still growing, just not retaining length. What are you doing differently now than before when you noticed her hair getting longer? Protective styling is always a good thing for retaining length, so maybe you can start there.
    [/b]
    Yeah, I would not put extensions in her hair. I have never even given it consideration, I just don't really like them. I can't braid that great and that's part of the issue, isn't that a protective style. I need to do some research on her on PS b/c I don't think I know all the options that are out there. I know I like it braided because it's easy to manage, but even when I do it in small ponytails all over(which also last at least 1.5 weeks and that's usually how I style it) it's still not growing. Her hair doesn't look good in any style more than 1.5-2 weeks cuz it's VERY sandy...light brown and it usually looks like it was done a week ago, when in actuality it was done maybe 2-3 days ago.

THanks for everyone's feedback, I just feel that I have tried so much and nothing is working but I will try to find out more about protective styles and maybe that will help
    HTH

ETA: spelling it's keeps leaving off my r's on your

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the occassional pressing might be stopping her from retaining her length. You can check out the heat & flaming hot tool of hair torture archives for horror stories, but sometimes the damage is more subtle. I know that the last time I pressed my hair, my hair length didn't change as much as it should from when I measured a couple months before to when I measured a couple months after and I would notice a lot of short pieces.

Sue.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have read some about heat damage and I completely stopped using heat back in Oct. (last c.f. 8/07) and I probably only use heat on her 2-3x a year when it's a special occasion and she wants to wear her hair down. Do you think with the infrequency that I do it, it would be that much of an influence :dunno:. I am going to revert her hair back this weekend...(she had a sweetheart dance at her school last Friday)...any suggestions...I know I am going to poo because I can't stand the smell of pressed hair and I will probably DC...maybe overnight???

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though you do it infrequently, even 1 time can mess up your hair. I've only pressed mine maybe 4 times since I've been natural (6 years), and the last time I really noticed damage.

I usually do a hot oil treatment, wash and do regular deep condition(15-30 min), but I'm not the best person at conditioning my hair. I'm still learning from everyone here. :wub:

Sue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast