Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bueno!

My name is Alexandria and I'm 18 years old. I'm a native Floridian (Tampa) and a sophomore in college. I've been without a perm since last summer. It was the 4th and final one of my life. I've struggled for a long time with my identity. Actually, a long time is an understatement.

Let me explain: I'm biracial. My mother is white and my father is black and from the Dominican Republic. I was raised, however, with my mother's parents. While I've loved every aspect of my upbringing, it has been infinitely difficult to learn how to love my beautiful dark skin and kinky hair with two white southern people raising me. Furthermore, in comparison, my 2 younger sisters and brother are a shade lighter than me, have green and blue eyes, and blonde and "more manageable" hair. No one fully understood how innocently poking fun at my tightly coiled locks from birth until now could completely annihilate my self esteem. I was the literal black sheep of the family.

For years I walked around lusting after the features I didn't inherit until finally I looked at my family. No one, not even on my mother's side, had straight hair, so why was I trying to get it? They're Jewish for crying out loud. God made me the way that I am because I'm beautiful. I look just plain silly with straight hair.

Anyway, I look forward to continuing to transition and feel blessed to have reached that epiphany.

Thanks for all of your support,
    Lex

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello and welcome! I wish you success in your hair journey.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to NP Dominican Barbie! Best wishes to you on your journey!

Virginia-Between Richmond and VA Beach...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome to NP... being to black sheep is Ok... it means that you are different and being different's ok...
    I wish you the best and be sure to post some pics of your hair when you get some time
    5 Years of Nappiness as of Nov 26, 2010 and this is my 5th year on Nappturality!

Trust in God NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to NP Dominican Barbie!!!!!!! We embrace you with open arms. There is tons of support here!!!!