Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

so here's the deal. In the beginning of my transition my scalp was always itchy and irritated and my new growth was hard and crunchy, but despite that my permed hair stayed relatively healthy and there was basically zero breakage. However now that my new growth is soft and my scalp isn't as irritated because i found products that work for my natural hair, my permed hair decides to be a pain in my butt and break off. Its getting incredibly knotted and it comes out if i look at it too hard... *sigh* My natural hair is about 2 inches now so that could be part of the reason... But anyways i just wanted to vent because my hair is getting on my nerves. I wanted to wait until the semester's over (in may) to bc but i guess i might have to cut my hair sooner. If anyone has any suggestions on what i should do, or if anyone's had a similar experience, please share...that would help a lot. Thanx!!!
    [url="http://images.meez.com/user14/07/10/0710_10034419198.gif"]http://images.meez.com/user14/07/10/0710_1...19198.gif"[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well....This is my second time going natural. The first time I cut it all off and kept micros and kinky twists in it for 9 months(until it was long enough that I felt comfy enough wearing it out). This time, I tried to let it grow out and not cut my permed hair-the same thing happened to me, everytime I washed it more and more would come out and the more it would tangle. I just had to cut it, if not my permed hair would just start looking thin and unhealthy, and there is not much I could have done with it then.

The Land of Elves, before the time of Men
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP, if you really feel that you're not ready for the BC, try getting your hair braided without extensions. I mean regular old French braids with no added hair, and make sure you keep all of your hair moisturized with a good light moisturizer (something cheap like Sta-Sof-Fro or Care Free Curl Gold are worth trying). Braids are good because they're low manipulation and basically force you to keep your hands out of your hair.

Be as gentle as possible with your hair since it's really delicate. Regular deep conditions are a must as well, but realize that your relaxed hair and your nappy hair are on 2 completely different agendas. You may not be able to hold on to those ends even with the gentlest of treatments, so maybe chopping it off is the best thing in the long run.

Just do you and whatever you decide, we're here for you :hug:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION! Please make sure you're conditioning your hair. Right now I'm going through the same thing. Not so much with breakage, but the tangles and knots are out of this world! Even though you're not BCing, there are still ways you can manage your mane.

If the breakage is getting to you that bad, and you don't want to BC, then as others have suggested, I'd maybe get some braided hairstyles or something like that. And also, make sure you're moisturizing your hair on the regular. Remember to be gentle with your hair as well. As Miss Nicole said, Sta-Sof-Fro, and Care free curl really work good. I use S-Curl and it works wonders, especially for my new growth.
    [COLOR=green][B]I'm an unstoppable woman.[/B][/COLOR]

DeBlaQPearl Guest

BC stop playing with your self. Mind over Matter.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I really want to bc and i don't mind cutting off my permed ends since they don't look good anyway, but i was just holding on to the length because i didn't want to have to explain to people why i cut off my hair. Plus i'm debating whether or not i should do it myself (im not a fan of hair dressers but i don't know if im skilled enough to pull off a good cut). I probably will just buy a good pair of scissors and do it myself. we'll see how it goes...
    [url="http://images.meez.com/user14/07/10/0710_10034419198.gif"]http://images.meez.com/user14/07/10/0710_1...19198.gif"[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I really want to bc and i don't mind cutting off my permed ends since they don't look good anyway, but i was just holding on to the length because i didn't want to have to explain to people why i cut off my hair. Plus i'm debating whether or not i should do it myself (im not a fan of hair dressers but i don't know if im skilled enough to pull off a good cut). I probably will just buy a good pair of scissors and do it myself. we'll see how it goes...
    [/b]
    Girl you are doing this for YOU. If you're ready to BC DO IT and work the heck outta your beautiful natural hair afterwards. Bump all that explaining to ppl why you cut it off! Simply say because I wanted to and move on.
    [b][SIZE=2]"Love the life you live. Live the life you love." --Bob Marley

last cfc: Nov. 3, 2007
    transitioned: 7.5 months
    bc'd: June 20, 2008[/SIZE][/b]

[url="http://members.fotki.com/NaturalHoney20two/about/"]my fotki[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Girl you are doing this for YOU. If you're ready to BC DO IT and work the heck outta your beautiful natural hair afterwards. Bump all that explaining to ppl why you cut it off! Simply say because I wanted to and move on.
    [/b]

I am with Honey22 on this one. I recently bc'd again after failing at going into a long transition when my hair started breaking. I said I would rather have healthy 2 inch hair, than broken 7 inch hair. You don't owe nobody an explanation of what's best for you.
    War Eagle!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should only BC when you are 100% comfortable so that way you don't get discouraged or have any regrets. Many women on here don't regret it, but only do it if you want to! I know once I get to that point, its going to be hard but I want to make sure I'm really ready. Keep us posted though and show pix if you have any!

Coco_P is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was having the same problem with my hair. I'm doing a long transition (about 7 months in now). I have a lot of new growth, but still a lot of straight and shaggy ends. So I decided to wear cornrows until I'm ready to chop. They have been so good to me. Low maintenance and lots of growth. If you're ready to chop, I would do it and just say "Because I wanted to" when people ask. Or if you're not, cornrows would be might suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast