Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I attempted my first homemade product today but I dont know if I did it right.

Ive heard great things about the moisturizing properties of avocado & coconut milk so I tried mixing them together for a deep conditioning mask. I used one whole avocado that I mixed until smooth with my electric mixer, then went to open my can of coconut milk......it was a thick lard-like consistency on the top with a watery liquid on the bottom. ?HUH? The only things listed was coconut milk and guar guam (a natural emulsifier), but no water.

I went ahead mixed in all of the thick stuff & just a little of the watery stuff into my blended avocado mixture. I applied fists fulls of it all over my hair, detangled (quite effortlessly), twisted, and put on a plastic cap (which is still on right now). There was some mixture left over so I put a tablespoon of it into a cup of water to see if it dissolved since Ive read that coconut milk is supposed to be water soluble. Well, its been over an hour and although the water is now green, there is a layer of "gunk" floating on top. Now Im thinking I used the wrong portion from the can. Does anyone know which part I was supposed to use (i.e. the thick stuff versus the liquid)?
    I'm a Cnapp nappy - coarse naps with no defined wave or curl pattern & very dense (i.e. thick)
    http://public.fotki.com/dtownjbrown/
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F9YSm5/.png

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The solid thick layer in your coconut milk is coconut cream (fat) it tends to separate or float to the top like heavy dairy cream. I just give my coconut milk a good shake and stir before using.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's what I do too.

msjaim2 Guest

i mix it together as well

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually use the whole can of coconut milk. There really shouldn't be a layer of fat in it because its coconut 'meat' and water
    My Hair PicsUPDATED!!!!!! 11/18/08
    PW: token

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone, I'll try mixing the two layers together.

I usually use the whole can of coconut milk. There really shouldn't be a layer of fat in it because its coconut 'meat' and water
    [/b]
    Buddha B - Actually, I bought one that didnt have water on purpose. When I went to the grocery store, I checked the ingredients list on all the different brands (there were at least five). The cans that had water listed all contained either potassium "metabisulphite" or sodium "metabisulphite" as a preservative. The Thai Kitchen brand was the only one without a preservative and, coincidentally, was the only one without water. I thought I had read somewhere here on NP that the kind with preservatives should be avoided (although I dont know why).
    I'm a Cnapp nappy - coarse naps with no defined wave or curl pattern & very dense (i.e. thick)
    http://public.fotki.com/dtownjbrown/
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F9YSm5/.png

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use an USDA orgainic brand from whole foods. It is sometimes separated and I have found that the thick cream at the top works much better then when I mix it. My hair and skin are super dry though and need a thicker concoction for moistrizing.

Oh so happy to be nappy!

Come visit my FOTKI [pw: golden]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]my sister and I

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of coconut milk...I gather it goes bad pretty quickly, eh? I just bought a can the other day and made a rhassoul mud mask with it (which was DELISH, by the way). Of course I didn't use the whole can (and I bought the smallest size they had). Any tips on preserving coconut milk for another use?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know where you can purchase coconut milk in a carton instead of a can. I read somewhere(I think anitagrant.com) that the carton milk was better although, I have never seen it in my health food store.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of coconut milk...I gather it goes bad pretty quickly, eh? I just bought a can the other day and made a rhassoul mud mask with it (which was DELISH, by the way). Of course I didn't use the whole can (and I bought the smallest size they had). Any tips on preserving coconut milk for another use?
    [/b]
    Hmmm, you could try freezing it in ice cube trays, storing in zip lock freezer bags and defrosting as needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast