Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

*I'm not sure if this question has been covered or not so someone let me know if it has.*

Has anyone had the misfortune to have to defend their naturally curly hair against someone who just know in their twisted and jealous mind that you must have some type of .t.e.x.t.u.r.i.z.e.r. in your hair? I've seen so many people debate whether a person has natural curls or not. My cousins(who are twins and both natural) have had to face problems like this before. They've been natural for 14 years and I've seen people literally debate them on whether that's their natural texture or not. It's crazy! Is it because black woman's hair shouldn't coil or curl in any way? I haven't come across this problem in such heated forms but everytime I tell someone I'm natural they ask about a .t.e.x.t.u.r.i.z.e.r. or whether or not I got a straw set. Even when I say no they have a look of wonderment on their faces. My cousins and I just laugh about it but sometimes it does bug me. My question is, have any of you guys had to face issues like this since becoming natural?

My Cousin's Hair: Tracy and Stacy

My Hair
    <div align="center">[b][SIZE=2]<span style="color:#FF3399">[b][url="http://members.fotki.com/ClassicBeauty82/about/"]Hair Albums[/url][/b][/SIZE]</div>
    Password:curlygirly782

B_Phlyy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but mine is the other way around. I DON&#39;T have many curls (or at least not ones like your cousins) and I&#39;ve had people try to convince me that I do and all I need to do is get some curl gel or mousse or whatever else curl product to make them show. My thought is that if they not already showing, the must not want to be seen.

And I&#39;m in no way saying that people who do have natural curls and want to define them are doing something wrong or unnatural, just that MY hair can&#39;t do it and it would be foolish of me to try.
    The_Epitome_of_Glamour My Fotki

IMHO, you can never have too much conditioner.
    ~Proverb from a Product Junkie

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All day everyday, and it doesn&#39;t help when you&#39;re darker either (unless it&#39;s winter for me-then people just say its pretty & ask what am I because its easier to ASSume I&#39;m mixed :rolleyes: ... it also doesn&#39;t help when I do rollersets-some people, even on hair boards are in disbelief when I say I&#39;m not relaxed AT ALL. I just take it to mean that not everyone is aware of the versatility of black hair and aren&#39;t accustomed to all it&#39;s different properties

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Girl, I was just trying to convince my step mom that I do not have a weak chemical fire cream! She honestly doesn&#39;t believe my hair can naturally curl like this! It&#39;s annoying but I don&#39;t let it bother me. People buy a kit to get what my hair naturally does. :wub:
    fotki: naturallykristin
    Napptural since November 2007
    3 big chops - most recent: April 2012
    Locs started: March 2, 2013 (started and maintained by interlocking)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont waste my time with this type of stuff... including you must not be all black because you look like black and something else or (when i was thinner) you must have fake boobs. If people insist on a debate itjust say "Ok" give them a :rolleyes: and walk away. life is too short to debate with fools, that&#39;s a debate you&#39;ll never win. :lol:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

*I&#39;m not sure if this question has been covered or not so someone let me know if it has.*

Has anyone had the misfortune to have to defend their naturally curly hair against someone who just know in their twisted and jealous mind that you must have some type of .t.e.x.t.u.r.i.z.e.r. in your hair? I&#39;ve seen so many people debate whether a person has natural curls or not. My cousins(who are twins and both natural) have had to face problems like this before. They&#39;ve been natural for 14 years and I&#39;ve seen people literally debate them on whether that&#39;s their natural texture or not. It&#39;s crazy! Is it because black woman&#39;s hair shouldn&#39;t coil or curl in any way? I haven&#39;t come across this problem in such heated forms but everytime I tell someone I&#39;m natural they ask about a .t.e.x.t.u.r.i.z.e.r. or whether or not I got a straw set. Even when I say no they have a look of wonderment on their faces. My cousins and I just laugh about it but sometimes it does bug me. My question is, have any of you guys had to face issues like this since becoming natural?

My Cousin&#39;s Hair: Tracy and Stacy

My Hair

[/b]

I know exactly what you&#39;re talking about. In middle school I used to get teased all the time foy my REALLY curly hair. This one girl used to really taunt me and call me "drip, drip" because she swore up and down I had an S-curl. My hair has never looked anything like I have an S-curl in my life! Funny thing about her was she had short, relaxed hair that she would always try to jack up into a tight pony tail, and all her edges looked ate-out. LOL I felt really bad about my hair at the time, but I later realized that she and a lot of the other girls were just jealous of my hair.

"Conformity is the hobgoblin of small minds."
    -Emerson

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ve NEVER had a conversation like that, because my hair doesn&#39;t "hang" and as the days go on my hair becomes bigger, fluffier and more afroish(sp?). So that sort of kills the tex..tur.izer comments. LOL!

Also, I would NEVER debate anybody on THEIR hair. If they say it&#39;s not chemically altered, then I&#39;ll take their word for it. Even if I believe otherwise, I have something called "manners". I&#39;ll keep my thoughts to myself.

In most cases, you can tell if someone has a tex.ur.zer. The hair looks "different".

I was pointed to a number of fotkis where the year before the person had afroish hair like mine, then the NEXT year it was hanging a bit straighter with a wavier texture to it. These people were still claiming natural. Um, no.
    Jada1111
    Four years napptural and loving it!

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower

msdiddyj is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah ppl w/ text.s their hair looks diff, in my first album on my fotki i had one, and it&#39;s COMPLETELY diff from my natural hair. and i hated it lol
    BC on 12/17/07
    Locs started 2/2/13

My Fotki (sorry hasn't been updated in ages)

http://public.fotki.com/msdiddyj

mwedzi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but mine is the other way around. I DON&#39;T have many curls (or at least not ones like your cousins) and I&#39;ve had people try to convince me that I do and all I need to do is get some curl gel or mousse or whatever else curl product to make them show. My thought is that if they not already showing, the must not want to be seen.

[/b]
    :lol:

i haven&#39;t had this problem, obviously, but yeah, seems like several people on the board have been subjected to it.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just take it to mean that not everyone is aware of the versatility of black hair and aren&#39;t accustomed to all it&#39;s different properties
    [/b]
    And there you have it... :yes:

i dont waste my time with this type of stuff... including you must not be all black because you look like black and something else or (when i was thinner) you must have fake boobs. If people insist on a debate itjust say "Ok" give them a :rolleyes: and walk away. life is too short to debate with fools, that&#39;s a debate you&#39;ll never win. :lol:
    [/b]
    And now you know... :yes:
    How will your 2019 be different than any other year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast