Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I met my dad about 10 years ago and while we speak about family, it's mostly about me getting to know my siblings (there's over 20!)

I've never really spoken to him about history.

Now before I go on I need to try and explain something. My mums side are from Jamaica and I have been many times. I like it there, but I don't love it. I've travelled a lot but the one place I always go back to is Cuba. There is something about the place, the people the music which feels like home to me. It's the only place I cry when I leave.

Well tonight I learnt-

About a new brother! He's older than me and a teacher in Jamaica and I spoke to his mother, she sounds dead sweet. There are also little ones like under 5 in Gambia and Sengal :rolleyes: my dad!

That I have cousins in Miami and Atlanta. I spoke to them too and the one in ATL seemed lovely I have an open invitation there. The one in MIA not so much... But in fairness she said she was studying. I'll keep in touch though to see how that goes.

I learnt that my great grandmother is from JA and was the only girl out of 15 children. One of her brothers ran an agency in Cuba and she went out there and met a Trini man and they got married and lived there. They had 3 girls together one of which was my grandma.

Now my greatgrans mother took ill and so my great gran went back to Jamaica and took the two older girls and left the younger one with her husband. Then for some reason they couldn't go back to Cuba. So my great gran never saw her husband and youngest child again. No-one knows what happened to them. My dad said that he was told the youngest had a girl, but that's it.

My gran didn't take this well and didn't really like living in JA and rebelled badly. She eventually got together with *shock horror* a rasta! The product of that was my dad.
    Eventually my great gran left Jamaica and went to live in Miami as did my grandmother. My grans sister went to England. My dad became a singer and went everywhere!

Now my dad said that the story of his dad has to be for another evening, because apparently it's long and complicated. What he did say though is that he was Ghanian and a doctor.
    This is hilarious because whenever I go to Ghana people always tell me I'm from there, and I've seen people who look me.

Cocopuff is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Guaps this is really interesting. It's lovely finding out your history. I wish I knew more about mines.

It's great that he knows this so you can begin your own search.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are truly international, darling! That is an interesting family history!