Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi, everyone. I'm a new poster and I just BCed on Saturday. I been wanting to go natural for a long time, mostly because of the politics of natural hair, and embracing my natural hair. Right after I BCed, I did 2 strand twists on my hair myself. Mostly to keep my hair in some sort of style, because I really don't know "real" natural people (no texturizers, no perm) in real life. I'm probably going to end up braiding it.

Right now I need some suggestions for what moisturizers, shampoos, conditioners, and hair styles for my 4c hair. Please help me. I read about Qhem? products, it seemed to have a lot of raves, and I would like to learn more about it and others. I wanted to post there I wasn't allowed to post in the thread, or the section about hair products so I thought that this would be the best place for it. Could you people with 4c hair post pictures of the type of styles (beside afros) that you can do with it, I would LOVE to hear from people with short hair. I really don't want to relapse out because I don't know what to do with my hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and Welcome.

Congrats on your BC.

There could be a number of things happening with your hair. You could have the dreaded scab hair. This is hair that is growing out of your scalp that has the effects of years of relaxing. Usually scab hair is dry to to touch, brittle and hard but it's not 'straight'.

There are some store products that you could use:
    Suave Daily Moisture...it's usually around $2 at walmart
    Suave Humectant...also $2 at walmart
    Qhemet is also good.
    Giovanni is good. This line can be found at a store like Whole Food Markets or any other health food store. I've also seen them in Walgreen & Meijer. This brand will cost about $8-10 per bottle.
    Oyin Handmade is a good product.
    Don't overlook what you may already have in your kitchen...Honey, olive oil, mayo...some ladies on here have made some great deep conditioners with honey and olive oil.
    If you buy products from the internet, look for samples...there's nothing worst than spending your money only to find out you hate the product.

You could also limit the number of times you shampoo each month. Maybe use shampoo once or twice a month but cowash weekly. If you decided to use a shampoo for the Suave line, I suggeest adding some oil (castor or olive) to it...

You probably need to give your hair about a month to see what happens. If what you are experencing is scab hair, it's going to have to run it's course (either break off or you get sick of it and cut it off). If it's just learning what products to use, don't use too many products a one time (shampoo, condish, gel, grease, leave in, moisturizing spray)...In other words try not to layer too many products. Decide how you are going to wear your hair then choose 1 or 2 styling products after your wash.
    If you decided to go with twist or braids while your learning your hair, find a good moisturizer and stick to that. I use the Qhemet Olive Cream or the Hydrating Balm. If you don't have that, get a small tub of shea butter-- unrefined workes best (you might be able to find this locally for about $7 for an 8 ounce tub). If you are going to twist or braid your hair, rub a little on your scalp, twist or braid the hair, and put some on the ends. This is what I do to combat dry scalp and to keep my ends protected. I don't use a lot on my scalp...just enough to add some moisture.

If after doing this you find you don't like shea (a lot of ladies don't like it), it's not a waste, you can use it as lotion until it's gone. Some ladies mix theirs with aloe vera or other oils (jojoba oil, olive oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil). I mix mine with coconut oil and I use it on my hair and my body.

Just lerk around this site...I know you can't post in the product thread yet but just look around...you will get some good advice. These ladies (and gents) are great.

Album: [url]www.picturetrail.com/napturallizz[/url]
    pw: natural
    Updated: March 2008

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well first of all Congrats!!
    When I first BC-ed I wore my hair in afros, 2 stand twists, and bantu knots.
    I use such a wide range of products.
    Shampoos/Conditioners
    Suave
    Dove
    Garnier Fructis
    Trader Joe's

Styling/Moisturizing
    Loc Butter (Carol's Daughter)
    Whipped Pudding (oyinhandmade)
    Shine and Define (oyinhandmade)
    Burnt Sugar Pomade (oyin handmade)
    Greg juice (oyin handmade)
    Shea Butter
    Coconut Oil
    ORS Loc & Twist gel
    Olive Oil
    Homemade spray (water, glycerin, fragrance)

check out my fotki
    [url="http://members.fotki.com/jsmith842/"]http://members.fotki.com/jsmith842/[/url]
    no pw

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys . I took out my twists, and now, I am trying to find something else to do with my hair. My mom is definitely not happy with my natural hair, I think she would be a little it if was longer, or I could find something to do with it. I could really use some inspiration for hair styles.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats!

I like castor oil.
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if I know anything about glycerin, it is that you get it is found in soaps and detergents, from what I remember in middle school. So where do you guys buy it?

monili is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can buy it in health stores and sometimes in beauty supply stores. I'm not sure about regular grocery stores.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can buy it in health stores and sometimes in beauty supply stores. I'm not sure about regular grocery stores.
    [/b]
    hello im a newbie like u
    Some of the products i use r mane n tail shampoo and conditioner...
    Water
    ic fantasia hair polisher & gel....they work wonders! The gel creates a curly texture
    I also use jam, it hold my hair together pretty well and its not drying
    as for styles u can try the curly twa look....you should also check out youtube...they have alot of hair styling ideas on there
    A change is gonna come

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that I am going to get some of the Oyin and Qhem sample packs. yesterday I took out my twists. And now I am doing twists again. But this time a little smaller. My hair is very short so I am kind of in a rut when it comes to the styles I can do. I am thinking of braiding it with extensions by myself next week. Hopefully that will work out. I really need some style ideas.

Thanks to those who suggested that I watch the you tube videos. I will check them out.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BlackandNatural, you'll find tons of product suggestions in this thread from those with hair similar to yours. Good luck!

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...topic=89040&hl=

These are good threads, too.
    http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...opic=106333&hl=
    http://www.nappturality.com/forum/in...howtopic=88910
    My Travel Blog | October 2007 Napptural of the Month (still looking for the link)

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."
    ~Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy