Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hate to say it, but maybe it was for the best that you didn't get that particular job. There is one out there for you. Don't let that discourage you.

I'll share this story with you in hopes that it will give you encouragement. I went for a job interview about a year or so ago. At the time, I already had a job, but was extremely unhappy. I walked in there with my short curly fro and dressed to impress. One of the first things that I noticed was there were none like me in the entire place. I sat and chatted with the receptionist about the company until it was time for my interview. The man who was going to interview me came to get me and I could see this weird look on his face. Not sure if he was surprised that I was black, my hair or what.

Well, I did very well during the interview. The next day or so the HR lady emails me and tells me that I was not selected for the job. I asked her for some feedback and she told me that I did an excellent job and he was very impressed with my appearance ... except for the hairstyle. She said I was one of the top candidates. I was shocked, but not upset because as I said before, I saw this strange look on his face when he greeted me. I thanked her and that was that.

So about 6 months ago, I interviewed for an internal position with my current company (very corporate America). And you know what ... I got the job and I love it!!

So, Sista, don't let that stop you. There is a good company out there just waiting for you to walk through that door.
    [/b]
    How did you have your hair styled?
    "Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that but the really great make you feel that you too can be great." Mark Twain

[color=#6600CC]NP member since April 2003[/color]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um. No.

I do not understand.

I think this is completely unreasonable and blatant discrimination. Too 'ethnic'? So the whiter you look, the more "sleek", "refined", "professional" you look/are? I don't think so.

If you were in Canada, I'd suggest you make a Human Rights complaint. I don't know if they have something similar where you are.

[url="http://public.fotki.com/axiom/"]http://public.fotki.com/axiom/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have encountered the same "weird-look" at job interviews, so I feel your pain. :hug:

I think non-nappy's have some ideas that are throwbacks from the 'sixties, ie. that when you come to the job with napptural hair, you are there to start the revolution and overturn the company policies. At any rate, now you know and you might make some adjustments to your hair, at least to get past HR, who basically try to eliminate people asap anyway. I know when I wore my hair in braids or twists, my friends in corporate America would suggest that I wear a bun or something conservative.

Keep in mind, this talk about race in America, which having a black candidate for President has opened up, is just letting the cap off the pot. There's a lot of stuff stirring around in there, and white America is really not prepared to address it as a whole. I think they are afraid they might have to give up some of the "perks" they take for granted in just being white.

Sometimes I wish we could interview blindfolded or behind a screen, where people would have to evaluate us by what is in our heads, rather than what is on our heads. You would think an employer would realize that a woman who is confident about her hair will be confident in other ways as well -- like in her job performance. :doh

Keep pressing on.
    Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.
    - George Bernard Shaw

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
    - William Shakespeare

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without victims.
    - Harriet Woods

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a 2 hour interview with a hotel that had not yet opened in the area months ago. My hair had been blown out and put in a nice tight bun. They claimed to be very impressed and would let me know SOON.

Afterwards, I sent 2 of my AA friends, neither of them natural (sleek straight hair styled in a bun) for 2 different jobs, my lil sis(age 1 for house keeping and my friend(age 27) for the same job as me, a receptionist. The house keeping interview lasted 5 minutes and she was told they are not hiring. The next day and for a few weeks after, there was an add that they were hiring housekeepers for that same hotel before it opens.
    My friend who is not natural and is 27, is Afrocuban, however, she usually doesn't speak spanish. After she applied and addressed that she spoke more than one language, they continued to give her reasons why she can't work there.

After 2 months, I get a letter saying they found someone more qualified. I guess, since it is a higher class hotel, they did not want the foreign business people to see an AA as soon as they walked through the door, because the qualifications they asked for, I had and more.

That was about a year ago, since then I have walked into this building 3 times during differet parts of the day to see the diversity. Well, there isn't much. I certainly haven't seen any black people. Everyone is white, except the housekeepers who are Hispanic/Latinos. I believe that the JW Marriot did not have the intentions to hire any AA at all.
    I think sometimes, hair is their exscuse. However, if someone does not want to hire black people, it does not matter how their hair is styled, they just will not hire you.

Also, I do not like the term "non-ethnic," last time I checked everyone was ethnic. Just another way to seperate people.
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids) Nappies and Curlies
    On April 3,
    Curlies will unite at 6:30pm for the Dinner and the Color Purple.
    Message me for further details about being part ofour Meetup group.

crmycoco is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked her for feedback and suggestions she gave them to me. I wouldn't sue for her opinion. I just need a more professional polished hair. I asked her because I wanted to the truth and she gave it to me off the record, she also said I had great experience but her boss was really looking for someone with hotel experience and that was in the ad.
    My hair is growing but still not long enough for a bun and I don't know whats appropriate anymore. This was a 5 star hotel, but I would never come in contact with customers.[/b]

it sounds like she was feeding you a line of ish then. offering an opinion that wasn't a factor just cuz she had an issue with your hair. as she had already pointed out, a particular kind of experience was required for the job, not how you wore your hair. if you had mentioned that in your original post my response would have been different.
    i would have said you should have given her a Whitney Houston KISS MY A** salutation and be grateful you don't work for such common folk!

on another note: what's wrong with wearing your hair in a neat afro, mj? no offense, but an afro is the most neutral, professional and safest style to wear to a job interview. Why? Cuz no one can fault you for what you have no control over. It's your NATURAL hair. you and i have similar hair (yeah, i been all up in your fotki), and if i can wear a decent fro, so can you. in fact, ANYONE with natural hair can wear a decent fro. those who say they can't are full of ish and still struggling with idenity crisis. if you need to, get it trimmed, evened out, faded, whatever....only if you NEED to. And you do not need to pack it down.

swear to god, only people paranoid about natural hair are the natural haired people. <_<

in a word, your HAIR is the least of your worries in this job market! how do you carry yourself on interview? How do you dress? How is your vernacular? What parts of your personality do you allow to dominate you during the interview process? what are your skills and qualifications? are you wearing loads of perfume? Did you research the company enough to be able to ask challenging questions? Why do you want this job? Why should this company hire you? Is you resume neat and easy to read? Do you have a resume? Are you personable?
    THESE are the types of things that should concern you when going on a job interview, nacho hair. :rolleyes:

ladies, i&#39;ve said this before and i&#39;m gonna keep saying it, if you project to the world that your hair is an issue, then that is what the world will project back to you. did it ever occur to anyone that all these wigs and extensions and braids loaded with fake hair look like disguises? lol....

It&#39;s a tough job market out there, honey. Having already been out of work for a month and half myself, I know first hand! Now I have one that pays more bling and offers more advancement than any other job i&#39;ve had in my life. and i rock my twa like nobody&#39;s biz. and when i get a baa, i&#39;m gonna rock that too! in corporate america too!

Keep your hair simple and focus on your qualifications. once you get the job, then you can go all spirally on the masses. :P

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m just not down, mj. On the one hand, I feel like eh, you asked, she told you, whatever. But on the other hand, I&#39;m so angry that this is even an issue and that we even feel like it needs to be discussed in the context of you changing to suit them. It&#39;s just so frustrating to me and we shouldn&#39;t ever be complacent about that, IMO. Who wants to work for a company that doesn&#39;t accept you because of your hair? Why are we still having this conversation?

:Angry:

Seriously, where do we draw the line? Do we cut an employer slack because they say our hair is out of sync with what they term "professional?" Or do we just call it what the freak it is (DISCRIMINATION) and refuse to stand for it anymore?

Just a vent. None of this is directed at you, mj, or any poster. This just makes me angry.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately this is a chance we take being natural. The euro look is so engrained in our society that we accept it as the norm.

What God has for you is for you! ^_^ That one wasn&#39;t it.
    public.fotki.com/firstladytj/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhh... That is not o.k. She had no right to tell you that; it&#39;s discrimination. I work in corporate America and there are tons of natural women. In a thread similar to this, I mentioned I&#39;ve interviewed for a couple of positions (all internal) and wore "ethnic" styles. I&#39;ve worn a wash n go (it looked beautiful), I&#39;ve worn twist outs, twa and I&#39;ve even wore a bun. All of them were very professional. I think you can definitely wear twists to an interview. You can put them in updo and make them look lovely. I honestly don&#39;t see what the deal is.
    [i][SIZE=2]<div align="center">Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission.</div> </span> [/i]<div align="center"> <span style="color:#CC33CC">~Anoymous~[/SIZE]
    [url="http://www.meez.com/micababy"][img]http://images.meez.com/user/4/3/9/2/5/0/2/4392502_bodyshot_175x233.gif[/img][/url] </div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Sweetie, I am sorry that you didn&#39;t get the job. But, like The Sweetess Thang said, "What God has for you is for you! That one wasn&#39;t it."

You will be blessed with what he has in store for YOU.

Like others, I don&#39;t know that I would want to work in that company if they are so narrow minded.

What exactly does hotels experience have to do with accounting skill? Nothing in my opinion. It is all about the numbers.

I can&#39;t wait to see that roller set though. :-)

Nappy Love to you Babe.
    LIFE ISN&#39;T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...IT&#39;S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!

Use code CAR231 for $5 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com.

Kinky Rhonnie&#39;s Hair Album

My Blog - Kinky Rhonnie&#39;s Spot

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m sorry you didn&#39;t get the job. The interviewer was even being a little "too" honest because I can&#39;t tell whether the hair thing was her personal opinion, or discussed during the evaluation process. I&#39;ve been a hiring manager many times, and while I&#39;ve never not hired anyone because I didn&#39;t like their hair, I have not hired people because I simply didn&#39;t like them, regardless of their qualifications. One time another member of the hiring team didn&#39;t like a candidate&#39;s laugh. :rolleyes:

I hope you keep your head up and just keep getting out there. I would always evaluate my qualifications, interviewing skills, and personality (whether they all fit with that particular corporate culture) before finally evaluating my appearance. If you determine that finger coils are professional on you, then keep wearing them. If you determine that they are a distraction during the interviewing process, wear another style. I&#39;ve never had anyone apply for a job with finger coils, so I don&#39;t know how I&#39;d react, honestly. I&#39;ve had bad weaves, buns that were too messy for an interview, long loose below shoulder length hair (which I prefer to see pulled back, just my personal preference), guy&#39;s without undershirts or proper suiting. None of those folks got the sandman just because of those facts though.

Honestly, I think the interviewer was just giving what she felt was a helpful suggestion (which may not be helpful at all). I doubt that your finger coils were the "only" reason they decided you weren&#39;t the best fit for them at this time.

BC: March 25, 2006 (after a 12 month transition)
    Corkscrews & Coils served on a plate of Kinks & Naps.
    A Nappy Affair III, II, I PW: kinky
    Transitioning Pics

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast