Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telling me thanks for coming and she really liked me, however they chose another candidate. Then I asked her if she could give me some feedback on my interview and if there are so things I need to improve. She said maybe you shouldn't wear your hair so ethnic. I had fingercurls and I thought they looked neat and polished. My friend who works in Corporate America told me I looked very professional. :dunno: HELP

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">Wow....that is messed up. I can&#39;t believe she said that, but I guess I can&#39;t really be too surprised anymore. I think its crazy that our natural hair would cause such a problem in corporate america. Its not really fair IMO.</span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wish you had a record of her saying that so you could take legal action. that pisses me off.
    4 years natural!
    1 year loc'd and finally happy :)

www.twitter.com/dailygazelle

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wish you had a record of her saying that so you could take legal action. that pisses me off.
    [/b]

I asked her for feedback and suggestions she gave them to me. I wouldn&#39;t sue for her opinion. I just need a more professional polished hair. I asked her because I wanted to the truth and she gave it to me off the record, she also said I had great experience but her boss was really looking for someone with hotel experience and that was in the ad.

next time don&#39;t wear fingercurls. :dunno:

yanno, just cuz you&#39;re natural doesn&#39;t mean you can&#39;t discern between "street" hair and "corporate" hair, which does NOT mean straight.

for example, when my hair was longer I wore twists, but NEVER to a job interview. pull it in a bun, or a nice shaped fro...or something appropriate to the job. it really isn&#39;t a racial thing...more like a conservative vs liberalism vs what kind of image we got going on in this here company.

[/b]

My hair is growing but still not long enough for a bun and I don&#39;t know whats appropriate anymore. This was a 5 star hotel, but I would never come in contact with customers.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked her for feedback and suggestions she gave them to me. I wouldn&#39;t sue for her opinion. I just need a more professional polished hair. I asked her because I wanted to the truth and she gave it to me off the record, she also said I had great experience but her boss was really looking for someone with hotel experience and that was in the ad.
    [/b]
    Yea, what I wrote was my initial response. I took it more as that was why they didn&#39;t hire you instead of just her suggestion.
    4 years natural!
    1 year loc'd and finally happy :)

www.twitter.com/dailygazelle

crmycoco is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is growing but still not long enough for a bun and I don&#39;t know whats appropriate anymore. This was a 5 star hotel, but I would never come in contact with customers.[/b]

it sounds like she was feeding you a line of ish then. offering an opinion that wasn&#39;t a factor just cuz she had an issue with your hair. as she had already pointed out, a particular kind of experience was required for the job, not how you wore your hair. if you had mentioned that in your original post my response would have been different.
    i would have said you should have given her a Whitney Houston KISS MY A** salutation and be grateful you don&#39;t work for such common folk!

on another note: what&#39;s wrong with wearing your hair in a neat afro, mj? no offense, but an afro is the most neutral, professional and safest style to wear to a job interview. Why? Cuz no one can fault you for what you have no control over. It&#39;s your NATURAL hair. you and i have similar hair (yeah, i been all up in your fotki), and if i can wear a decent fro, so can you. in fact, ANYONE with natural hair can wear a decent fro. those who say they can&#39;t are full of ish and still struggling with idenity crisis. if you need to, get it trimmed, evened out, faded, whatever....only if you NEED to. And you do not need to pack it down.

swear to god, only people paranoid about natural hair are the natural haired people. <_<

in a word, your HAIR is the least of your worries in this job market! how do you carry yourself on interview? How do you dress? How is your vernacular? What parts of your personality do you allow to dominate you during the interview process? what are your skills and qualifications? are you wearing loads of perfume? Did you research the company enough to be able to ask challenging questions? Why do you want this job? Why should this company hire you? Is you resume neat and easy to read? Do you have a resume? Are you personable?
    THESE are the types of things that should concern you when going on a job interview, nacho hair. :rolleyes:

ladies, i&#39;ve said this before and i&#39;m gonna keep saying it, if you project to the world that your hair is an issue, then that is what the world will project back to you. did it ever occur to anyone that all these wigs and extensions and braids loaded with fake hair look like disguises? lol....

It&#39;s a tough job market out there, honey. Having already been out of work for a month and half myself, I know first hand! Now I have one that pays more bling and offers more advancement than any other job i&#39;ve had in my life. and i rock my twa like nobody&#39;s biz. and when i get a baa, i&#39;m gonna rock that too! in corporate america too!

Keep your hair simple and focus on your qualifications. once you get the job, then you can go all spirally on the masses. :P

crmycoco is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next time don&#39;t wear fingercurls. :dunno:

yanno, just cuz you&#39;re natural doesn&#39;t mean you can&#39;t discern between "street" hair and "corporate" hair, which does NOT mean straight.

for example, when my hair was longer I wore twists, but NEVER to a job interview. pull it in a bun, or a nice shaped fro...or something appropriate to the job. it really isn&#39;t a racial thing...more like a conservative vs liberalism vs what kind of image we got going on in this here company.

mwedzi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m sorry you didn&#39;t get the job. But I&#39;m happy she gave you honest feedback because it reminds us all of the world we live in. I don&#39;t know what would be more professional, either, frankly. Finger curls are the same as comb coils, right? I thought those usually look pretty neat. We already know braids and cornrows are too "ethnic." I&#39;m not sure how to make "ethnic" people&#39;s hair not "ethnic." Maybe a patted down afro. Not too big, apparently that scares people.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know and that&#39;s why I stopped wearing a fro. I don&#39;t know what to do with my hair and I&#39;m not going back to cfc.

cutenappygrl Guest

Telling me thanks for coming and she really liked me, however they chose another candidate. Then I asked her if she could give me some feedback on my interview and if there are so things I need to improve. She said maybe you shouldn&#39;t wear your hair so ethnic. I had fingercurls and I thought they looked neat and polished. My friend who works in Corporate America told me I looked very professional. :dunno: HELP
    [/b]
    OMG - that is so wrong. But i&#39;m glad she told you what was up - you probably wouldn&#39;t want to work there anyway - they may say all kinds of crazy off the wall comments about black people while you&#39;re working there. Employers have the right to hire/fire you for any reasons other than race/gender/sexual orientation/age - so you can&#39;t sue over hair. Being in a union would be a good thing though - they can get you a job and make it difficult for you to be fired. But anyway - I have been wearing this cheap wig i got at the BSS for interviews, still haven&#39;t gotten a job though. But that&#39;s the only thing i can suggest - b/c if they don&#39;t like natural black hair - no style will be acceptable to them.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast