Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telling me thanks for coming and she really liked me, however they chose another candidate. Then I asked her if she could give me some feedback on my interview and if there are so things I need to improve. She said maybe you shouldn't wear your hair so ethnic. I had fingercurls and I thought they looked neat and polished. My friend who works in Corporate America told me I looked very professional. :dunno: HELP

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">Wow....that is messed up. I can&#39;t believe she said that, but I guess I can&#39;t really be too surprised anymore. I think its crazy that our natural hair would cause such a problem in corporate america. Its not really fair IMO.</span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wish you had a record of her saying that so you could take legal action. that pisses me off.
    4 years natural!
    1 year loc'd and finally happy :)

www.twitter.com/dailygazelle

crmycoco is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next time don&#39;t wear fingercurls. :dunno:

yanno, just cuz you&#39;re natural doesn&#39;t mean you can&#39;t discern between "street" hair and "corporate" hair, which does NOT mean straight.

for example, when my hair was longer I wore twists, but NEVER to a job interview. pull it in a bun, or a nice shaped fro...or something appropriate to the job. it really isn&#39;t a racial thing...more like a conservative vs liberalism vs what kind of image we got going on in this here company.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wish you had a record of her saying that so you could take legal action. that pisses me off.
    [/b]

I asked her for feedback and suggestions she gave them to me. I wouldn&#39;t sue for her opinion. I just need a more professional polished hair. I asked her because I wanted to the truth and she gave it to me off the record, she also said I had great experience but her boss was really looking for someone with hotel experience and that was in the ad.

next time don&#39;t wear fingercurls. :dunno:

yanno, just cuz you&#39;re natural doesn&#39;t mean you can&#39;t discern between "street" hair and "corporate" hair, which does NOT mean straight.

for example, when my hair was longer I wore twists, but NEVER to a job interview. pull it in a bun, or a nice shaped fro...or something appropriate to the job. it really isn&#39;t a racial thing...more like a conservative vs liberalism vs what kind of image we got going on in this here company.

[/b]

My hair is growing but still not long enough for a bun and I don&#39;t know whats appropriate anymore. This was a 5 star hotel, but I would never come in contact with customers.

mwedzi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m sorry you didn&#39;t get the job. But I&#39;m happy she gave you honest feedback because it reminds us all of the world we live in. I don&#39;t know what would be more professional, either, frankly. Finger curls are the same as comb coils, right? I thought those usually look pretty neat. We already know braids and cornrows are too "ethnic." I&#39;m not sure how to make "ethnic" people&#39;s hair not "ethnic." Maybe a patted down afro. Not too big, apparently that scares people.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know and that&#39;s why I stopped wearing a fro. I don&#39;t know what to do with my hair and I&#39;m not going back to cfc.

cutenappygrl Guest

Telling me thanks for coming and she really liked me, however they chose another candidate. Then I asked her if she could give me some feedback on my interview and if there are so things I need to improve. She said maybe you shouldn&#39;t wear your hair so ethnic. I had fingercurls and I thought they looked neat and polished. My friend who works in Corporate America told me I looked very professional. :dunno: HELP
    [/b]
    OMG - that is so wrong. But i&#39;m glad she told you what was up - you probably wouldn&#39;t want to work there anyway - they may say all kinds of crazy off the wall comments about black people while you&#39;re working there. Employers have the right to hire/fire you for any reasons other than race/gender/sexual orientation/age - so you can&#39;t sue over hair. Being in a union would be a good thing though - they can get you a job and make it difficult for you to be fired. But anyway - I have been wearing this cheap wig i got at the BSS for interviews, still haven&#39;t gotten a job though. But that&#39;s the only thing i can suggest - b/c if they don&#39;t like natural black hair - no style will be acceptable to them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn&#39;t sound like you were rejected for your hair. Since you did ask for her opinion, maybe she thought she was helping you for a future interview :dunno:, I think that in her mind any do that involves you natural remaining so wouldn&#39;t be appropriate. Though I do sometimes advocate taming the &#39;fro for interviews, this time I say do you.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no one says yt&#39;s hair looks too "ethnic" - i&#39;m sorry yall it just pisses me off. :Angry:

at the same time i kindof get what that woman was trying to say - basically the company has a stick up their as$ so you&#39;re going to have to have one up yours too (or at least act the part).

mj.......a simple puff. slick it down a bit in the front so it lays kindof flat and neat. you can wear it shrunken or pull it out with your fingers a bit. use a nice scarf for a band or dress it up a little with a fancy comb or hair clip.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast