Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely understand. I never really had a problem getting a job until lately. A friend of mine even told me as long as my hair was in a short afro she wouldn't hire me because she felt it didn't look appealing or professional. With me mainly going for server type jobs due to me being in school and home responsibilities it was kind of heartbreaking to hear it from a friend but it is what it is. I think I am just going to braid mine up and a get a sew in until its an appropriate length and try again.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gr it pissed me off too... However I asked her for the truth. I have done the shrunken for with a nice headband and the wig thing. Seems like nothing works....Now I'll stop whining :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was the interviewer black?
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No she was from the Ukarine

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well mj..........not out of ideas yet for next time.

how about doing a rollerset with perm rods or flexirods.

mj (excuse the un-pc question) - but did you see any black folks around there at all? if so, how were they wearing their hair?

i keep thinking of things AFTER i hit the post button :S

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twists are not professional? If my hair was loose I would wear twists in a bun rather than a bun or puff on loose hair because my hair does not lay flat or look neat when its out like that. I always have the fuzzy inch long halo of fuzz. So here's my opinion if someone is going to discriminate against you based on coils I am willing to wager that they would discriminate against you based on any natural hairstyle.

"What is for you cyaah be unfor you" Colin Channer
    5 year lock update
    5 1/2 year update

cutenappygrl Guest

mj (excuse the un-pc question) - but did you see any black folks around there at all? if so, how were they wearing their hair?
    [/b]
    The rod set is a really good idea. I'm going to keep that one in mind. And those are easy to do yourself. And i'm sure you can find videos on youtube. Here's two:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/b]

Funny you should say that Gr2006 I'm making a setting lotion so tomorrow I can try my flexirods and I didn't see any black folks in the Accounting dept. :lol:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hate to say it, but maybe it was for the best that you didn't get that particular job. There is one out there for you. Don't let that discourage you.

I'll share this story with you in hopes that it will give you encouragement. I went for a job interview about a year or so ago. At the time, I already had a job, but was extremely unhappy. I walked in there with my short curly fro and dressed to impress. One of the first things that I noticed was there were none like me in the entire place. I sat and chatted with the receptionist about the company until it was time for my interview. The man who was going to interview me came to get me and I could see this weird look on his face. Not sure if he was surprised that I was black, my hair or what.

Well, I did very well during the interview. The next day or so the HR lady emails me and tells me that I was not selected for the job. I asked her for some feedback and she told me that I did an excellent job and he was very impressed with my appearance ... except for the hairstyle. She said I was one of the top candidates. I was shocked, but not upset because as I said before, I saw this strange look on his face when he greeted me. I thanked her and that was that.

So about 6 months ago, I interviewed for an internal position with my current company (very corporate America). And you know what ... I got the job and I love it!!

So, Sista, don't let that stop you. There is a good company out there just waiting for you to walk through that door.
    BIONIC .. Believe It Or Not I Can

http://links.fotki.com/avalonchocl8

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked her for feedback and suggestions she gave them to me. I wouldn't sue for her opinion. I just need a more professional polished hair. I asked her because I wanted to the truth and she gave it to me off the record, she also said I had great experience but her boss was really looking for someone with hotel experience and that was in the ad.
    [/b]
    Yea, what I wrote was my initial response. I took it more as that was why they didn't hire you instead of just her suggestion.
    4 years natural!
    1 year loc'd and finally happy :)

www.twitter.com/dailygazelle

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast