Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok since I've bced, I noticed that my hair seems a bit dry. But when I put my hand in it, it's all oily. I'm oiling my scalp and also putting a moisturizer on my hair after I no-poo.

When will I know if my hair is moisturized vs just greasy? My husband seems to think they are one and the same. I beg to differ though....

Any ideas?
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/prettylady24"]http://public.fotki.com/prettylady24[/url]

Check me out!! Updated July 2009

Last chemical fire cream: Jan 4, 2008
    BCed: April 6, 2008

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're right they arent the same. oily is just greasy and most oils aren't moisturizing. coconut oil, castor oil seem to have some moisturizing properties.

perhaps you're using too much if you have it all over your hands? also i dont think it's necessary to oil your scalp since your scalp has its on oils and juices.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok since I've bced, I noticed that my hair seems a bit dry. But when I put my hand in it, it's all oily. I'm oiling my scalp and also putting a moisturizer on my hair after I no-poo.

When will I know if my hair is moisturized vs just greasy? My husband seems to think they are one and the same. I beg to differ though....

Any ideas?
    [/b]
    Hello,
    Thats because oils are not typically used a moisturizer. You want to use your oils as a sealer after you moisturized. It sounds like the oils are just sitting on top of your hair. Maybe oils don't really work for you or you need to apply them differently like mixed into a homemade or store-bought spritz. If your hair is being properly moisturized, it should feel soft, but not mushy, strong, but not hard. I know there are times when my hair looks moisturized (shiny) but feels hard or it looks dry but feels very soft. I guess you have to find the right balance. Some ladies only use water to moistuirze and an oil to seal. You may need a water and/or glycerin based product to moisturize and something in the form of a butter to seal. HTH. I know some ladies who can explain it a letter better will chime in soon.
    http://public.fotki.com/mrstiff/new-...~updates~3-24/
    pw:ctiffnapp
    Nappy. The other " N " word.
    /transitioning/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having the same problem. I can put a nickel sized amount of oil over my hair after wetting it, and hours later reach up there and a layer of oil has been transferred to my hands. I am going to buy new stuff today because I really need a solution.
    [color=#6600CC]100% NAPPTURAL!!![/color]

[color=#6633FF]Last chemical fire cream: November 11, 2007
    BC: April 1, 2008[/color]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may need a water and/or glycerin based product to moisturize and something in the form of a butter to seal. [/b]
    I was trying to figure this one out too. I'll give your suggestion a try tomorrow. Thanks!

lafemmenakia Guest

Any ideas?
    [/b]

I am so agreeing with GG. I've noticed that the product I use most is leave-in conditioner (which are usually glycerin based). After I apply is I use a small (and I mean small) amount of oil on top of the leave-in, and that's usually just for shine. Works very well.

siani721 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found that water-based moisturizers work the best for me. Although I am just now discovering the benefits of grapeseed oil and pure aloe vera gel. They're both in one of my moisturizers and they work wonders for my hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah they are different. I use products with glycerin and no oil during the summer and my skin and hair thanks me
    Shoot, as much as I push these products they need to gone head and cut a nappy headed sista a check.... :P but I use World of Curls Comb Out Spray and I use their curl activator gel, along with Aloe Vera gel and my hair is in heaven all day long . But it and any other product that uses glycerin as the main moisturizer is most effective when the humidity is high (I think it has to be 70% or more).

But all in all there is a BIIIIG difference between greasy and moisturized and it took me a hot minute and a few hair strands to figure that out.
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah they are different. I use products with glycerin and no oil during the summer and my skin and hair thanks me
    Shoot, as much as I push these products they need to gone head and cut a nappy headed sista a check.... :P but I use World of Curls Comb Out Spray and I use their curl activator gel, along with Aloe Vera gel and my hair is in heaven all day long . But it and any other product that uses glycerin as the main moisturizer is most effective when the humidity is high (I think it has to be 70% or more).

But all in all there is a BIIIIG difference between greasy and moisturized and it took me a hot minute and a few hair strands to figure that out.
    [/b]
    *sigh*

Alright, I'll go cop some glycerin and see what's good. Also, your hair is :noway: I absolutely love my TWA, but I'm curious to learn it as it grows out.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats because oils are not typically used a moisturizer. You want to use your oils as a sealer after you moisturized. It sounds like the oils are just sitting on top of your hair. Maybe oils don't really work for you or you need to apply them differently like mixed into a homemade or store-bought spritz. If your hair is being properly moisturized, it should feel soft, but not mushy, strong, but not hard. I know there are times when my hair looks moisturized (shiny) but feels hard or it looks dry but feels very soft. I guess you have to find the right balance. Some ladies only use water to moistuirze and an oil to seal. You may need a water and/or glycerin based product to moisturize and something in the form of a butter to seal. HTH. I know some ladies who can explain it a letter better will chime in soon.
    [/b]
    Co-signing with this (great description of the difference in feel BTW) and I want to add something else:

Normally my hair loves oils but even I will sometimes have that experience where an oil is just sitting on top of my hair. When that happens, I know it's time for a clarifying wash. Works every single time.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast