Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone catch this ? I saw the second half. I came in on the part where the AA mother was teaching her AA son not to date dark girls because she didn't want any dark grandchildren. On one hand, I was glad to see someone try to tackle this issue. On the other hand, I was sorry to see the ignorance broadcast on nationally, syndicated TV. What did you think of the handling of the topic on the show ?
    Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.
    - George Bernard Shaw

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
    - William Shakespeare

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without victims.
    - Harriet Woods

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't see it, but I've seen enough talk shows with this subject to be leery of how it would be handled (Ricki Lake, etc.). I agree with you about nationally broadcast ignorance. It's an issue that needs to be discussed but in a different forum.
    "Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that but the really great make you feel that you too can be great." Mark Twain

[color=#6600CC]NP member since April 2003[/color]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't see it, but I've not really been impressed with the depth of Tyra's shows on topics like this.

Maybe this one was different. I hope so. Maybe it made a difference.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have dealt with it my whole life light skin dark skin its crazy. just recently I was walking down the street and some dude I guess wanted to talk to me and he made reference to my skin color repeatedly calling me "browning, browning". my friend was like yeah "a lot of the carribean guys call light skin girls that". that is so stupid what ever happened to "hey miss" or something respectful.

my dad is dark skin and he has most beautiful complexion and I used to hate it when people would say "oh that can't be your father" or "how come you came out so light?"

my ex said one of the reasons he was attracted to me was b/c I was light skinned and he doesn't find dark skinned women attractive. it wasn't until he said this that I gave the issue much thought. but I was like dang that is so ignorant. there are so many pretty women of all complexions.

its crazy and sad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]just want to say thanks to my angel whoever you are. thanks for making me pretty in pank

Yo I beez bloggin' check me at vivalaunderdog.tumblr.com (I finally made it happen).

anabwi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I turned it off after it started to take on a Jerry Springer-ish Hoochie Mama Neck Rollin' tone.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that show could not have been good. Me and my baby go through that now. I am dark skinned but she is a redbone. Folks are forever making assumptions and treat her like she is so much prettier than my niece or vice versa because they feel like my niece is going to need the confidence boost because she is darker. Poeple that think like this should be shipped off to their own little private island and left to live in their own ignorance.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't see it, but I've not really been impressed with the depth of Tyra's shows on topics like this.
    [/b]
    What she said.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: the integrity of the show.

I just have one word:

Tyra

THE END.
    <div align="center"><Last Perm - January 16, 2006>

~Big Chop - April 8, 2006~</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if you&#39;re going to do a topic like that, it needs to be done well. Tyra has always been pretty light (no pun intended) in terms of depth and substance. It&#39;s ok if that&#39;s her style, but she shouldn&#39;t have tried to tackle this one. She commented about people not wanting her to air our dirty laundry. That&#39;s not the issue so much as once it&#39;s out there what will she do with it. Sometimes she does more harm than good (in terms of unintentionally perpetuating stereotypes). She throws stuff out there and leaves it with no explanation at all, the wrong explanation, or not enough of an explanation. She had all these people on stage and talked to maybe 3 of them. Why were all the rest there? I think she should have left this for a more serious show or at least one with a different format than hers. Let Oprah and Lisa Li talk about this one or something .

I don&#39;t dislike Tyra though. She serves a purpose. It&#39;s kind of like when you read chick lit because you&#39;re not in the mood for something heavy. Her show is my TV version of chick lit. Her show is my guilty pleasure. :lol:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my dad is dark skin and he has most beautiful complexion and I used to hate it when people would say "oh that can&#39;t be your father" or "how come you came out so light?"
    [/b]
    my situation is sorta opposite than yours

my mom is light and i&#39;m dark. but my dad is dark skinned but no one really met him before.

I think if you&#39;re going to do a topic like that, it needs to be done well. Tyra has always been pretty light (no pun intended) in terms of depth and substance. That&#39;s not the issue so much as once it&#39;s out there what will she do with it. Sometimes she does more harm than good (in terms of unintentionally perpetuating stereotypes). She throws stuff out there and leaves it with no explanation at all, the wrong explanation, or not enough of an explanation.
    [/b]
    i agree

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast