Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi fam!! Im such a sucker for plant and everything plant related! I live in an apartment and have taken a great interest in balconys and the gardening ideas that take place there. Whether its plants, or flowers, veggies or fruits, koi ponds, etc....post it here!! I would love to see it. I need to get a good picture of mines so I can post it.....happy gardening...
    My hair stays on my mind......

And I will leave my husband for James Todd Smth.

Advocating for FreeFormers Anonymous (FFA)

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/chokolatedove

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a balcony garden last year and I am starting it up again for this growing season. I only do herbs on the balcony. I think I want to expand my herbs but I want cooler looking pots before I commit.

Who else is growing this year? I know you all are out there!

Last year I realized I didn't know squat about plants. I didn't even know my growing zone until 2 months ago. Shame.
    transition :: 10.30.04 bc ::04.24.05 natural :: 8 YEARS!!!!!! http://public.fotki.com/debonaire :: updated::04.25.13
    to unlock :: lovely

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I AM! I AM!

I have a yard, but I'm still leaning towards a container garden. I started my seeds indoors about 2 weeks ago.

The plan was to grow 5 things, but I went a little overboard. I am growing....

Rosemary
    Parsley
    Basil
    Cumin
    Spearmint
    Dill
    Cilantro
    Oregano
    Roma tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Squash
    Spinach
    Peas
    Asparagus Beans
    Carrots
    Hot peppers
    Mild peppers
    Collard greens
    Lettuce
    Black Beans

I starting posting updates on my blog....

Intro: http://paperchaise.wordpress.com/2009/04/1...iner-gardening/

Guide to Container Gardens: http://paperchaise.wordpress.com/2009/04/1...iner-gardening/

Day 14: http://paperchaise.wordpress.com/200...garden-day-14/

I have no clue what I'm doing, but I sure am enjoying it!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:shocker: Scrills! How on Earth are you going to grow all of those in containers? You'll definitely have to put them out in the yard. I container garden for my apartment but I am a member of the local community garden as well. I started my seeds for home and the garden but no sprouts yet

For the balcony I have:
    Parsley | Rosemary | Basil | Tyme *I'm on the fence because they take over* | Mint | Chamomile | Coriander/Cilantro
    and then decorative flowers of Marigold, Assylum, and Daisy.

For the garden I have:
    Nordello Sweet Peppers | Bush Snap Peas | Mesclun Seed Mix | Tomato | Radish
    and decorative flowers of Morning Glory - I built a trellis for them to run on from a pruned Mulberry tree and young Willow tree branch shoots. Your girl has skills :bow:.

I am also need/want to prep soil this year in a container for next year because I want to grow blueberries!! How cool would that be if they actually take?
    transition :: 10.30.04 bc ::04.24.05 natural :: 8 YEARS!!!!!! http://public.fotki.com/debonaire :: updated::04.25.13

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to make matters worse, i just ordered a dwarf lime tree and some raspberry canes.

Well the good thing is that about 1/3 of the things i'm growing are herbs. i'll be able to grow those in my window seal. The other things, I will either grow those in 5 gallon buckets or I will give in and till the land behind my garage. I only bought varieties that are suitable for containers. So for example, my cucumbers are spacemasters. They are great for container gardens

I have a chart of which veggies can be grown in containers and what size containers they will need

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started container gardening late in the season last year, but I had to move suddenly in July and I think the a/c i my car killed all my plants . I got the pots and soil ready, I'm just waiting for a nice day that I'm actually home to start "planting". I'll post a list of what I'm planting when I get started.

I may move again within the next month or two...what's a safe way to transport plants? I don't want to do all that work for them to die again.

Sue.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started container gardening late in the season last year, but I had to move suddenly in July and I think the a/c i my car killed all my plants . I got the pots and soil ready, I'm just waiting for a nice day that I'm actually home to start "planting". I'll post a list of what I'm planting when I get started.

I may move again within the next month or two...what's a safe way to transport plants? I don't want to do all that work for them to die again.

Sue.
    [/b]
    I will be starting my balcony garden again this summer and will also have to move around July. Please keep me posted on any tips you get for transporting your babies. Luckily, I'll be moving no more than 20 minutes across town.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think to put the plants in a shallow box and then get another deep box that fits snug ontop/around your plants would help to protect them in transit. Then you can go without the AC and just crack a window and the box will protect the soil from flying all around.

I have some photos that would make you all jealous . All of my seeds have sprouted! I was a little concerned at first - I was trying to start seeds outside on the fire escape like a dummy. But I took them in and started watering them and placing them on the stove at night for heat. Literally within 4 days all of the seeds came up aside from the pepper which sprouted about 10 days later. I've transplanted some of the lettuces and peas outside. I am holding onto a few seedlings incase there is a last cold day that comes through and kills them. I also got a few more seeds for cut flowers (Snapdragon + Bachelor's Buttons). I'll update when I plant and they come up.

#1 - I wrapped the trays in Saran wrap to start the seeds. #2 - 4 days later!

#1 - Snap peas coming up with other herbs in the background (Dill + Parsley). #2 - Yeaaah baby. Snap peas in full effect (2 wks later)!

#1 - Mesclun mix. #2 - Cilantro. #3 - I drink lots of Chamomile tea and I figured I would throw some of the seeds and leaves in the soil to just see what happened. Lo and behold it is sprouting! They are the shorter ones in the top left corner. I also had exactly 3 Marigold seeds and 2 of them sprouted (the taller seedlings)!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scrills WOW! I feel so shame showing a picture of my balcony plants and you have yourself a fine little garden there!

Debonaire I love your sprouts! How easy are herbs to grow? I am going to HAVE TO try some.

I don't really know much about plants -but I love them and love to see and take care of them. I don't have much so far, but am looking to add many more before this month is over. This year I am thinking about growing some tomatoes :P

Here is my little balcony.... :rolleyes:

This was given to me and it was very sickly, so I'm trying to nurse it back to health

~ Truly loving yourself for exactly who you are is the greatest peace in the world~

Nappy and loving every minute....since Jan. 2009(:-)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything but my mint has spouted and I've started transplanting. the transplant is taking a little longer than expected because I decided to make some DIY earthboxes. Hopefully I will have everything transplanted by this weekend (and will have pictures to share).

So far my peas are the fastest growing. they are at least 18" tall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast