Thread: Losing My Hair

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three times a week, huh? Wow, if it's working, that is EXCELLENT. I haven't been faithfully using Nizoral to wash. It's just SOO drying. BUT I will get back on the bandwagon. How has your hair been managing with the 3X a week? Moisture-wise?[/b]
    I switched back to a heavier condish so it hasn't been drying really though today I had to to a deep clean/condish because I'd been cowashing again in between shampoos. So, it'sll all good so far.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Wow. I really feel for all of you ladies . I think I commented earlier in the thread that I was having some loss at my temples at one point, but nothing like what you ladies were experiencing. I'm thinking it was stress and deficiency (because going on a serious vitamin plan didn't cure it but definitely helped - it's started filling back in). I do have some minor, slow loss in my hairline still which leads me to think I should get my Thyroid tested because that runs in my family and that causes slow, creeping hairloss (as opposed to fast, acute loss).

This leads me to my question:

She said that black women in general should use anti-dandruff shampoo at least once every 2 weeks. She kept emphasizing the importance of using anti-dandruff shampoo. It made me think. I used to use Head and Shoulders shampoo for years. [/b]
    I've never heard that before in my life. And I kid you not when I say I have not had one drop of dandruff since I stopped using dandruff shampoos (and I practically used to bathe in the stuff). And when I stopped using commercial shampoos, I stopped having dry scalp. So I'm extremely reticent to go back to any of that for any reason. Did she say why "all Black women" should use dandruff shampoo? We don't all have dandruff?

Actually let me add that when I was still having dandruff symptoms but wanted to stop using dandruff shampoos I made a rinse of Nettles, Quassia, Chaparral, and Lemongrass added to Apple Cider Vinegar and it cleared me up fairly quickly.

ankywhoo I am just curious about that dandruff shampoo thing.

I hope you're able to find a program that works for you, taniseka.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This leads me to my question:
    I've never heard that before in my life. And I kid you not when I say I have not had one drop of dandruff since I stopped using dandruff shampoos (and I practically used to bathe in the stuff). And when I stopped using commercial shampoos, I stopped having dry scalp. So I'm extremely reticent to go back to any of that for any reason. Did she say why "all Black women" should use dandruff shampoo? We don't all have dandruff?

Actually let me add that when I was still having dandruff symptoms but wanted to stop using dandruff shampoos I made a rinse of Nettles, Quassia, Chaparral, and Lemongrass added to Apple Cider Vinegar and it cleared me up fairly quickly.

ankywhoo I am just curious about that dandruff shampoo thing.

I hope you're able to find a program that works for you, taniseka.
    [/b]
    She, Dr. L, said dandruff shampoo was necessary to deal with inflammation. She believes most black women have problems with inflammation of the scalp.

I believe you when you say that you haven't had any dandruff since you've stopped. Neither have I. I don't have dandruff issues at all, and the flakes I thought were dandruff (before I joined NP) was just dry scalp & Blue Magic. So, I gave her one of these and questioned her about this, but she was adamant about using a dandruff shampoo. I don't want to go back to those days, but I have realized that my hair loss began just after I stopped using dandruff shampoo. Is it coincidence? I don't know, but I will grudgingly try it out and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, forget it. I might as well keep the few wisps of hair I will have left cottony soft. :lol:

For some background: Dr. L is a dermatologist who is well known as the go-to derm for black people around these parts. I don't want to type her full name, but she's based in Toronto, Ontario and very popular. A lot of the things she said were things we often preach on NP, but she seemed to have a set model of black women & hair. This was an issue for my case because I didn't fit:

I don't relax (I did for about 3 years...10 years ago)
    I don't use heat (almost 3 years now)
    I shampoo targeting my scalp (using a spray bottle)
    I wash in braided sections
    I don't even colour --never have
    I wash once a week
    I don't manipulate my hair more than once a week

Like, what else am I supposed to do? She was very surprised when I said this, and I'm not too sure if she believed me. But the treatment she recommended (topical steriod with dandruff shampoo) is similar to what Karibana and Mistaken and missladee have shared. So I will give it a go. *fingers crossed*

I'm really grateful for you all sharing your experiences.

Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

I don't want to go back to those days, but I have realized that my hair loss began just after I stopped using dandruff shampoo. Is it coincidence? I don't know, but I will grudgingly try it out and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, forget it. [/b]
    yeah, werd. if it's something that simple that will help then may as well for sure. That's interesting.

So is the inflammation visible? How do you know you have inflammation? I don't think I do, but now I am Le Paranoid :ninj:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The doc told me I had dandruff and I was at that because I don't have any. But anyway, today I flattwisted my hair, front and back, for the first time in a month and I was able to do so uninterrupted by any gaps. Mind you the back of my head is still thinner and because of the hairloss, I won't have a bun of my own hair anytime soon but I'm just happy that it's growing back. So far.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

ms_rite is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woo I'm glad the steroid has given you some relief! I think you are right on about happy scalp equalling healthy hair. I hope you will keep us posted after your June appt.

Between you and Karibana, I'm thinking I should try the Derma-Smoothe (Fluocinolone acetonide) sample I was given by Dr. L. I am nervous about it because I don't have any of the flaking or scabbing, but it seems like some kind of steroid is essential to reduce the inflammation. Derma-Smoothe's side effects are so scary though Maybe I can get a doc to prescribe something less potent.
    [/b]
    Me too!!

This at least gives me a bit of hope for having a full head of healthy hair some time in the near future. I'll definitely let you know the outcome of my appointment in June...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is the inflammation visible? How do you know you have inflammation? I don't think I do, but now I am Le Paranoid :ninj:
    [/b]
    With me it's red and it looks irritated. I can also feel mine. It's raised up( you know if you run your fingers across you scalp you can feel it). Most often mine is a bit painful as well, and madd itchy.
    Don't be paranoid. I hope you're fine.

Taniseka--thank for sharing your story...you inspired me to share mine.

My hair has been okay. I've been getting some growth in some areas, but my one area in my crown isn't doing as well as I'd like. I'm still taking my vitamins and using the steroid foam. My scalp has chilled for now. I'm using the foam more often like I should have been from jump. I wash once a week with the Nazoral and follow with JASON Jojoba shampoo. I condition with a deep conditioner (can't remember the name right now). I also use the Moe's growth oil that I made and use pure aloe vera gel on my scalp. I go back for another follow up in June.
    Oh yeah...I got a nice little suprise from my insurance company. They won't cover the cost of my appts. with the derm. So it's all out of pocket now. Thanks punk **** chumps!!!! :angry:
    "...They just know my name, they don't know my pain..."Blackgirl Pain" Talib Kweli

Thank you to my pink angel. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She, Dr. L, said dandruff shampoo was necessary to deal with inflammation. She believes most black women have problems with inflammation of the scalp.

I believe you when you say that you haven't had any dandruff since you've stopped. Neither have I. I don't have dandruff issues at all, and the flakes I thought were dandruff (before I joined NP) was just dry scalp & Blue Magic. So, I gave her one of these and questioned her about this, but she was adamant about using a dandruff shampoo. I don't want to go back to those days, but I have realized that my hair loss began just after I stopped using dandruff shampoo. Is it coincidence? I don't know, but I will grudgingly try it out and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, forget it. I might as well keep the few wisps of hair I will have left cottony soft. :lol:
    For some background: Dr. L is a dermatologist who is well known as the go-to derm for black people around these parts. I don't want to type her full name, but she's based in Toronto, Ontario and very popular. A lot of the things she said were things we often preach on NP, but she seemed to have a set model of black women & hair. This was an issue for my case because I didn't fit:

I don't relax (I did for about 3 years...10 years ago)
    I don't use heat (almost 3 years now)
    I shampoo targeting my scalp (using a spray bottle)
    I wash in braided sections
    I don't even colour --never have
    I wash once a week
    I don't manipulate my hair more than once a week

Like, what else am I supposed to do? She was very surprised when I said this, and I'm not too sure if she believed me. But the treatment she recommended (topical steriod with dandruff shampoo) is similar to what Karibana and Mistaken and missladee have shared. So I will give it a go. *fingers crossed*

I'm really grateful for you all sharing your experiences.
    [/b]
    I have my fingers crossed for you hope it works out. I posted a new topic today for a product called Ovation Cell therapy. It is applied topically, keep your eyes on it to see if anyone here has tried it. The results posted on line by other females are impressive. Good luck on your path.

yeah, werd. if it's something that simple that will help then may as well for sure. That's interesting.

[/b]
    you will know that there is inflammation because you will feel the soreness, just like any other part of your body where there is inflammation. It may also feel a little spongy to the touch. When the area of my sclp was inflammed, it was a slight pain but it felt sore.

The doc told me I had dandruff and I was at that because I don't have any. But anyway, today I flattwisted my hair, front and back, for the first time in a month and I was able to do so uninterrupted by any gaps. Mind you the back of my head is still thinner and because of the hairloss, I won't have a bun of my own hair anytime soon but I'm just happy that it's growing back. So far.
    [/b]
    glad to hear that you are making progress.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345