Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I was looking at photos of Asians with Dreads and came across this blog and thought i'd share (I found it interesting)

I know some people have a problem with it (asian's with "black" hair styles), and find it offensive and what not...I on the other hand do not mind at all. I do think it's just another example of western culture idolizing eastern culture (like eastern culture idolizes western culture), in my opinion.

peace

------------------------------------------------------

Regular readers know I wear my hair natural. Now that's not a big deal if you don't know the history and politics behind nappy hair. In fact, it was insulting one time when I was out socializing with two white guys who said "oh, we wear our hair natural too". This was after I'd had a bonding moment in a bar in Seoul with a black guy I met who was wearing dreads.

Let me tell you a black woman wearing her hair natural meeting up with a black man who wears dreads is significant because most black men keep their hair closely cut to their heads and most black women, it seems, either straighten it with chemicals or heat or cover it with weaves or wigs.

Let's just say that while almost every race of people have no problems wearing their hair as is, in black culture it's looked upon as odd and subversive. That's not to say that other races don't seek to change, enhance or otherwise just play around with their hair. It's just a bit different when the texture of your hair has literally been vilified.

Now this comes from Africans being held as slaves, colonization, the Tingon Laws (postbellum US law which required black women to cover their hair as not to "offend"), and the eventually internalization of the "super coily Afro hair is bad" aesthetic within the black disapora. However, I've blogged about some of these issues before (hit the archives or the Blogbar to search - use "nappy" as a search term and that should pull them all up if you're curious - they're both in the sidebar on the right).

This is cool.

There seems to be shock that Asians are have now taken on Afro hairstyles. There is a thread on a forum I'm a regular on where people are just beyond shocked. It's rather funny considering I've been seeing it for awhile and just never thought it was that huge of a deal. However, I can't deny that it's a trend that is spreading, but I say fine with me as imitation is the highest form of flattery. I noticed it from the time I arrived here years ago. I saw Koreans with braids break dancing at the top of Busan Tower. When I wore braids as my signature style I also saw Koreans getting them and saw other shops opening which displayed pictures of Korean models with Afro hairstyles.

Well, there is a salon called Bombhead in Seoul. It has three locations: Bundang, Kangnam and Chungdam.

So for all you fashion and trend plebians, here you go. Have fun browsing.
    I chose a few pictures but the Bombhead.com site has tons. Just go to the "Nappy and Special Hair" section and click to your heart's content. I just wanted to share and smirk a bit while I'm at it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I declare! I find it quite flattering for them to go to great lengths to achieve our look when so many of us do the same to destroy it. Wow!
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It funny because if I were to see them on the street I would swear they were half black...LOL. I wonder how long it takes them to get the afro. Its kinda cool. Pictures like this should encourage more blacks to wear their natural hair; other races see the beauty.. why can't we?

I could be offended by this but being that I used to wear perms and weaves... I dont really have a right to. Black people wear their hair so I guess the should be able to wear ours.
    <strike>Currently Transitioning</strike>
    BC: July 19, 2008

My Fotki- SMALL UPDATE 5/18/09~~~ [b]<span style="color:#993399">"I guess ignorance is still in style."[/i]

britni is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting thread. I remember something very similar to this one popping up not too long ago. I say more power to them. If they like it, I love it. It&#39;s just ironic that a lot of black women don&#39;t find the beauty in our hair like they do.

eta: I could be wrong but I think "expatjane" is NP member "seoulsista". ^_^
    happily nappy since 10/12/2006; BC#2 06/19/2008
    I SUPPORT BARACK
    South Carolina! Let&#39;s meetup!
    Let&#39;s Talk About Writing...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I wonder how they did that! Anyway probably a passing fad by the minority whereas our hair issues go back many generations and effect the majority.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">I like the one in the red jacket! I don&#39;t have a problem with it especially since its not a shock that we have been trying to have straight hair for the longest. Its amazing what all can be done with hair!</span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just want to know how they did the fro...ll

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I declare! I find it quite flattering for them to go to great lengths to achieve our look when so many of us do the same to destroy it. Wow!
    [/b]
    Ha! Ditto

~I am who Allah has fashioned me to be~

Napps/Locks: http://public.fotki.com/malaikablu/loc-journey/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember seeing the afro girl&#39;s picture on another NP thread...can&#39;t remember where though. I love these pictures especially the ones of the girl with dreads and the boy with micro braids :wub: . Personally, I love it! Not everyone (with super fine hair) can pull off styles like this. It&#39;s great to see these styles on other nationalities.
    [b][color=#3333FF]Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid[/color][/b]

My Fotki: [url="http://public.fotki.com/Tenshi721"]http://public.fotki.com/Tenshi721[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Australian Aborigines and Europeans Rooted in Africa - 50,000 years ago
    By: Stefan Anitei, Science Editor

Europeans like to believe they have evolved on their own continent. That&#39;s nonsense. All European populations came from Asia (all current racial types) or Africa (just the Cro-Magnon), but always via Asia.

In fact, the famous Cro-Magnon people were by no means white but very black (not exactly the African Black type but rather the Australian Black type), despite the fact they are falsely represented as tall and blond-haired (the first Indo-European blonds settled on the continent 5-6,000 years ago over a black-haired white pre-Indo-European population and they evolved later than 40,000 years ago, during the age of the Cro-Magnon).

In fact, a new research shows that Australian Aborigines and Europeans evolved from the same wave of African migrants that went out of Africa more than 50,000 years ago.

The research led by Toomas Kivisild of the University of Cambridge revealed the same founders for both racial types, European and Australian Black. This discovery proves once again that Africa is the source of the evolution of Homo sapiens.

The researchers made DNA analyses from modern Aborigines and South Asian populations. The family tree could be traced backwards through their mitochondrial DNA (the female lineage) and Y chromosome DNA (the male lineage).

"We could trace back to where the branches join by counting mutations in the DNA," said study co-author Phillip Endicott of the University of Oxford.

The DNA mutation rate indicated the time amount since the populations split. The Black Australian DNA could be assigned in four lineages, linked to the migration of Homo sapiens from Africa between 50,000 and 70,000 years ago.

Those African populations moved on foot to Southwest Asia (Arabia first) as there was no Red Sea by that time.

They migrated along southern Asia (through India) till Indonesia, which due to the low sea level (it was full Ice Age, and large amounts of water were stored in huge polar glaciers) was not an archipelago but a land mass connected to the Indochina.
    A narrow sea strait that separated Indonesia from the joined Australia-New Guinea could have been easily passed by humans 50,000 years ago.

Previously it was believed that the change in skeletal traits depicted in Aborigine fossils, from slender about 40,000 years ago to stocky about 13,000 years ago, represented a mixture with more ancient human species (like Neanderthals) but DNA analysis found no evidence of that.

The research also contributes to the debate whether Asian groups entered Australia more recently than 50,000 years ago or not.
    Till 10,000 years ago, all Southern Asia (India, Indochina, Indonesia) was populated by Asian Blacks, racially similar to the Aborigines, Melanesians and Papuans of New Guinea, thus a mix with such populations would have been not so conspicuous.

There were significant changes on Australia in the last 10,000 years, like the appearance of the dingo dog (very close to wolf races from South Asia) and new stone tool industries, "which (may) represent the intrusion of new human migrations into the continent," said Endicott.

But the distinctiveness of the Aborigine DNA points to a continuously relatively isolated population, discarding the possibility of later influxes into Australia from Asia: those contacts could have been just for trade, but not a migration.

"If there had been Asian migrations, we would have expected to see regional specific subgroups in the Aboriginal DNA. But they were completely absent." said Kivisild.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast