Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hello all!

I'm sick and tired of relaxers! I hate the growth, shedding, breakage, more growth roller coaster. I end up on that ride no matter how conscious I am or how good I take care of my hair, scalp, and ends. It seems the relaxers are just not meant for me and definitely not meant for such a long term. I've had relaxers since I was 7....so that means I've been damaging my hair for FIFTEEN YEARS!! :noway: It's had its run....It's time for a change...I'm ready to free myself! I want locs! Beautiful, colorful, HEALTHY LOCS!!!

Any tips for the transitioning process would be great and well appreciated! Thanks in advance and wish me luck!
    [B][COLOR=#cc33cc]My LAST CFC: [COLOR=Black]10.July.2009[/COLOR]
    My BC Date: [/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=#cc33cc][COLOR=Black]25.June.2010 * Exactly 11.5 Months!!
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=#cc33cc]Started Rocking my Natural Hair: [COLOR=Black]19.Aug.2010 * My 23rd Bday!![/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=Purple]http://public.fotki.com/AmoMiPelo/[/COLOR]
    [/B]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how long you want your hair to be when you start your locs, but in the meantime you can try twistouts, braidouts, strawsets etc. If you are ok with adding hair you can transition with extensions or weaves. You have many options.
    Stand For Something, or You'll Fall For Anything
    BC 5/23/09
    loc journey 9/6/10

http://members.fotki.com/Chocodoll/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how long you want your hair to be when you start your locs, but in the meantime you can try twistouts, braidouts, strawsets etc. If you are ok with adding hair you can transition with extensions or weaves. You have many options.
    [/b]
    I'm ok with adding hair. I thought about it and for now my plan is to alternate with kinky and Senegalese twists...and maybe even Nubian twists. In between, to give my hair a rest I think I'll get roller sets. You have some good ideas! :P I want to try a strawset now lol that sounds so cute!

...and your hair is beautiful btw. I just checked out your fotki!
    My BC Date: [/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=#cc33cc][COLOR=Black]25.June.2010 * Exactly 11.5 Months!!
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=#cc33cc]Started Rocking my Natural Hair: [COLOR=Black]19.Aug.2010 * My 23rd Bday!![/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
    [/B]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read up and do your hw on transitioning and natural hair! Set Goals. How long to you want your hair to be when you go natural? Will you do the BC or Just let i grow out? Is your primary goal health or length? Do you want to go straight into locks, or spend some time getting to know your loose napps? There's lots to consider Nappturality and Youtube are like...your best friends! lol
    Last CFC: December 24, 2008 Nappy Born Day: June 18th, 2009 21 Months & Counting!
    Journey in Pictures http://members.fotki.com/Notoriously-Nappy/about/
    YouTube :http://www.youtube.com/user/NotoriousLYNappy1
    Nifty Style Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEnI8OacDA
    Shealoe Lotion Experiment:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrbyCmUoJLE

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read up and do your hw on transitioning and natural hair! Set Goals. How long to you want your hair to be when you go natural? Will you do the BC or Just let i grow out? Is your primary goal health or length? Do you want to go straight into locks, or spend some time getting to know your loose napps? There's lots to consider Nappturality and Youtube are like...your best friends! lol
    [/b]
    I've been reading up a lot lol! Ok so here's what I want to do.......I want to transition it by growing it out for about 6-9 months while trimming my ends every month. And then maybe I'll be brave enough to cut off all my straight hair. The main goals of this journey are to establish health, happiness, and freedom with the hair God gave me. I'm definitely going to enjoy it for a while before I loc it up...I haven't seen it for 15 years after all ^_^ Geez I love this site! So much love and support! :wub:
    [/B]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

~@AmoMiPelo@~ Welcome to NP!

Everything mentioned before me is great! Protective styles that last awhile are good for transitioning. I tried kinky twists but I had to take them out because they irritated my scalp like crazy. If you've never worn weave before, you might want to pre-treat the hair before you put it in. (I didn't know about that). As far as styles without weave, twist outs are a personal fave of mine. That's what I have in my avi pic. You could also try bantu knot outs. Youtube tutorials have definitely become a priority. (I'm hair styling challenged). :blush:

I'd also recommend while your researching about it to read any literature you find. I loved "Going-Natural: How to Fall in Love with Nappy Hair" by Mireille Liong-A-Kong. You'll be able to learn a lot about various styles, the process, essential oils, and other natural recipes that will be great for your hair.

Lastly, if you like, you might want to keep a journal of your transitioning journey and take lots of pictures. It will be an exciting, emotional journey. ^_^ I hope our ideas help and congrats on your decision.
    Last CFC: May 15, 2009
    Originally Planned BC Date: April 2010
    Unplanned Mini Chop: October 22, 2009
    Spontaneous BC: October 25, 2009
    (K.I.N.K.Y) K.eep I.t N.atural K.now Y.ourself

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

~@AmoMiPelo@~ Welcome to NP!

Everything mentioned before me is great! Protective styles that last awhile are good for transitioning. I tried kinky twists but I had to take them out because they irritated my scalp like crazy. If you've never worn weave before, you might want to pre-treat the hair before you put it in. (I didn't know about that). As far as styles without weave, twist outs are a personal fave of mine. That's what I have in my avi pic. You could also try bantu knot outs. Youtube tutorials have definitely become a priority. (I'm hair styling challenged). :blush:

I'd also recommend while your researching about it to read any literature you find. I loved "Going-Natural: How to Fall in Love with Nappy Hair" by Mireille Liong-A-Kong. You'll be able to learn a lot about various styles, the process, essential oils, and other natural recipes that will be great for your hair.

Lastly, if you like, you might want to keep a journal of your transitioning journey and take lots of pictures. It will be an exciting, emotional journey. ^_^ I hope our ideas help and congrats on your decision.
    [/b]
    Thanks! I just made my fotki....its pretty bare but its a start! I love your twist out! Yea I'm def trying that :yes:
    [/B]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on your decision!!!

For me, I took this time to experiment with different hairstyles but the one that I stuck to were
    braid outs. I would wash my hair about twice a week and then I would braid my hair the night before. If I need to have my hair wet, I would rinse it with warm water then braid it. There are many styles and things you can do for your hair during the transitioning phase. I will admit, I was frustrated during the first couple of months :lol: but with determination and help from the boards, you will be glad that you kick the perm to the curb :P
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/Tookielooky/"]My BC pics!!! Before and After!!![/url]