Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Not so new newbie , hair history

So I have been natural for 51/2 years (April, 2004), one day I woke and went in to the bathroom and took a pair of scissors and just started cutting until there was no perm was left. You can say I was in some of a trance, once I snapped back into reality I realized, that I had no hair and looked like boy. I literally wore a scarf for two months until my hair grew out and then started wearing extensions; because I didn't want to get back to the hair crack, nor was I strong enough to wear it out in it natural state. As I progress remembering styles my mom did to my hair before the hot comb or perm like the two- strand twist, before I knew the name. Eventually the micros got expensive and keen on paying $120-180 for some braids that would only last 3 months so I started braiding my own.

A year and a half later (DEC 2005) I decided to do the cut again (bigger chop) it but this time it was bit more extreme, I was bald completely, not a stitch, I definitely felt like Michael Jordan. This time around I was bit more comfortable, hadn't of heard of natural forums or products yet, so I continued to do what I thought was right. Until a year passed and my hair grew, was in such a hurry to see what my hair would like when it was straight. I went and bought a flat iron (Vidal Sassoon) and blow drier and began pressed regiment. I love it so much that I did it every day until one day I let it get too hot ,it had no controls like low, medium, or high; just on and off. Next thing I know, I'm flat ironing my hair and half my hair is on the plates (fall, 2007) and the smell of burnt hair filled it air. My hair felt like burnt paper at a light it just began to fall out actually worst than a perm for me. I figured if I cut the burnt hair out it would be alright but it didn't I got frustrated with my hair.

Here I go again another big chop on (Jan 1, 2008 ) this time I got a shape up and I rock my fade proudly, I see more and natural haired women than I did before. I'm watching YouTube videos like I'm a mad woman thinking to my self I did it hard way, had I seen these videos before I cut or before I braided or before I burned my hair out, I would of had a Fro like leela James. but in true form because it is a recession and I tend to use less product in the spring/ summer months I don't know why, cut it low ( march, 2009) for the last time, and now its growing rapidly than it has in a long time maybe it the eating right and those fish oil pills.

So yea a totaled of 5 big chops in almost 6 years and I' m finally comfortable with my hair the way it is, now I just need to get these damn knots under controls that are working my nerves.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, what a journey! Well, now you're happy with your hair and in the right place for information, inspiration and encouragement.

Welcome!
    Syrel

Transitioned 6/28/08 - 4/27/09
    Unplanned Big Chop 4/27/09
    Enjoying the adventure!

Ida2 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same and welcome
    Big chop June 27, 2009

AfroDance - Les Nubians
    Making a list and checking it twice

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the site.

It sounds like you are on the route to loving your cut this time around. I'm sure it looks great. It does in your avatar.

I've heard good things about fish oil pills too from my mother. She takes them for health, not hair. But healthy hair starts from within so, I can understand why your hair is thriving when healthy food is added to the mix too.

Good luck with your hair and see you around the board.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitley Gilbert View Post
    Welcome to the site.

It sounds like you are on the route to loving your cut this time around. I'm sure it looks great. It does in your avatar.

I've heard good things about fish oil pills too from my mother. She takes them for health, not hair. But healthy hair starts from within so, I can understand why your hair is thriving when healthy food is added to the mix too.

Good luck with your hair and see you around the board.
    I'm a testament of fish oil pills they do work. And I dont take the ones with the fishy after taste
    2 Awesome 2be forgotten Mia Fite/ etifaim luv u 4life