Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Accounting and Finance...

Anybody in the Accounting and Finance Field here? Let's discuss :-)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am! Currently pursuing an Accounting degree after being an executive asst for umpteen years...I always ended up managing the financials of my boss's teams so it was a sensible progression. I'm having a hard time "selling" myself as a finance professional without the degree though. I have an interview tomorrow with the global finance team of one our competitors so hoping that turns out well and they bring me on, I've got 8 years experience and can run circles around those that have degrees but IMO when firms look at my resume and see I'm 2 years out, they throw it in the trash...
    I expect to finish by December 2011 and have my CPA sometime during 2012. I'd like to work for FBI/CIA/DIA as a contractor or direct hire (yup I want a TS too), that's where the $$ is....
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Savvyone! Yes, that piece of paper seems to have some power! Well, I'm getting my BS in Accounting and will have a total of 3 years experience in the field. Like you, I'd like a job with the FBI/CIA or even the Dept. of Defense. I'd like to become a fraud examiner.

I know eventually I'd have to get my CPA, so I'll be going to graduate school as well. In MD, you have to have 150 to sit for the CPA exam. I'm thinking Fall 2011; I'm going to focus more on becoming a CFE (certified fraud examiner) or a CIA (Certified Internal Auditor)

Anyone else in Accounting? Finance?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sitting for the CPA exam as we speak. I have 3 more parts to go! If everything keeps going as planned lol, I'll be done my last part in May. I work in the tax field and I am slowly taking classes toward Masters of Taxation degree.
    Fotki: https://public.fotki.com/LaGina/

Final chemical service: December 2002

Youtube MissGinaCPA

monili is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My undergrad degree was a BBA in finance and accounting, and I worked at a bank for a few years, but now I'm in my final year of law school. Still undecided as to what I want to do (it seems like the older I get the less certain I get ), but probably business law. My mom is a CFA and my dad is a CA (Chartered Accountant, it's the Canadian equivalent), so my family is all about the finance. My brother just finished his last CPA exam. He got 90+ in all 4, so now he just has to finish the work experience part.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my B.S. in management and MBA. I'm eligible to sit for the CPA exam, but haven't because of craaaaazy circumstances in my life. I work in tax, and I'm currently getting laid off. Hopefully, my next job will be a little more stable and I can get my family and I settled enough for me to be able to study and take the exam. Knowing then what I know now, I would sit for the CPA exam ASAP before life happens, because it carries so much weight, especially when you're looking for a job in these hard economic times.

I feel you Savvyone! I feel that I am very qualified to do a lot of jobs that I apply for, but I really feel that not having a CPA is holding me back big time. Plus potential employers make me feel like crap for getting laid off (even though the company is moving to another state and not taking 85% of the company).

Sue.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Accounting & Finance

I understand your frustration ladies! I have my BBA in Accounting and trying to pass the CPA exam. Getting into the field has been very hard b/c I do not have experience or a strong professional network. While in school, life events prevented me from working in an internship. To complicate things further, my husband's job moves us around a lot. Hopefully, I will pass the CPA exam next year and land my first "accounting" job soon!

Love & Blessings!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm done with my BS in Accounting. Now I'm looking for potential grad schools. I want to work in Accounting while attending grad school. I'm looking into Internships (with the Gov't) for work and experience.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CPA here

Hi Savvyone *waving*

Been a CPA for more years than I can remember . The CPA is THE MOST important thing you can do for yourself, if you want to succeed in this field. It used to be said that the CPA exam is harder than the Bar or the Medical exams (not sure if that's true anymore).

Right out of college I worked as an Accounting Clerk. With each new job I climb up a rung on the ladder. I did not 'get comfortable'. I'd evaluate my progress every few years and if the company didn't allow for upward movement, I looked for another job. Currently, I'm a Controller of an HR firm.

I've recently decided to throw my hat into the "I do taxes" ring. So, I'll be taking a 2-day seminar at the begining of January. Already have my domain name registered and am about to get business cards made up.

I also encourage anyone on here to join their local National Association of Black Accountants (NABA) Chapter. There's a lot of support there from peers and tons of networking. Black folks always underestimate the power of professional associations and networking. I've had job offer calls at times when I'm not even looking.

@Monili...I sometimes say to myself that if I'd know better I prob would've also gotten a law degree and maybe gone into the corporate tax law field..I'm really not that old, only 38, but at this age going to Law school is not on my list of things I have to do..

@MS. Marvin..I see that you're in MD. UM College Park is a very good Business School...

http://http://top-b-schools.4gmat.co...rica_mba.shtml
    Last edited by italdumpling; 12-17-2009 at 06:48 PM.

10. Likes MzKinkz85 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad this thread is starting to come to life! And YES Ital, they are still saying the CPA exam is harder than the bar! I'll likely do the Becker Review to get through all 4 sections successfully...it's pricey but I only want to take it once, I know folk who keep missing it year after year by a hair, how frustrating...

The part I like too is the "I do taxes" aspect as well, I mean I'm with a traditional acctg firm, but working under the Consulting arm....come to think of it I've worked for 2-3 of the original Big 5. I"ll ride this train as far as it takes me...if they can get me out to Cali that's even better!
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast