Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Natural and Organic Products and our hair

I just have a question for you ladies, is a cute hairstyle worth sacrificing the health of your hair, even if the harsh effects are not immediate. If the main reason for many of us going natural is to begin to take care of the health of our hair and showing it some TLC , isnt putting store brought products that contain harmful chemicals to achieve a cute style kinda the same as putting perms and heat on our hair to get it to look good...well in principle. What are your thoughts on this

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess to an extent. i wouldn't really compare someone using mineral oil, or SLS to someone who is using a perm. those chemicals are much more harsh on the hair compared to others.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. I'm not sure how it's damaging my hair. In fact, my hair is healthy because of the products I use, many of which aren't natural. Most products I've come across that claim to be natural or organic are not 100%; they have a high percentage of natural/organic ingredients, though. Even the Burt's Bee's deep conditioner I use is not 100% natural, though it carries the "natural" label. The only reason I try to use organic and natural products is because my hair tends to respond better to many of the natural ingredients.

I'm not sure if there's a shampoo/conditioner that has harsh chemicals to the point that it'll straighten my super curly hair, so I don't think you can compare the harsh re.laxer chemicals to the ingredients in regular hair products; they're not that harsh. What harmful chemicals do you have in mind that are included in regular hair care products?

Also, I didn't go natural for healthier hair. I went natural mainly because the relaxers were too harsh on my scalp and because I got tired of taking care of the relaxed hair, so maybe your question doesn't apply to me. Plus, I'm itching to play around with different hair colors and doing other things to my hair, including straightening once in a while. The thing I like about hair is that it always grows back if you manage to screw it up (hopefully, I won't, haha), but I want to experiment with my natural hair and try different things, except the harsh relaxer, perm, or texturizer chemicals, or whatever marketing name they're going under this year.

Those are my thoughts.
    Last edited by stacylynn79; 11-30-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    [U]Listening to:[/U] Twilight and New Moon soundtracks.
    [U]Reading:[/U] Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter, Atonement, and The Road.
    [U]Watching:[/U] Survivor, Jay Leno, and Desperate Housewives.
    [U]Loving:[/U] Life.[COLOR=LemonChiffon]....[/COLOR] http://www.youtube.com/user/stacylynn79

Bunicornaces Guest

Were you planing on doing something to your hair?
    Last edited by Bunicornaces; 11-30-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Bunicornaces Guest

It's ultimately your decision, IMHO, something like sls is completely different from a relaxer.
    However if you choose to use store bought products, heat or other things that are factors to hair damage, fully well knowing the possibilities of damage that could happen(just because you want a "cute" style), it's ultimately your decision like I said. My reason for going natural amongst others includes growing healthy, non-chemically altered hair. There are a lot of other reasons which include, being me naturally the way God created me and wearing my natural hair proudly.

@stacylynn79, I took a look at your youtube channel. Please explain to me what "scab hair" is.

My hair is nappy. It is soft and cottony, a mass of varying textures. My hair is fun to play with. I like to pull at the spiral curls and feel them snap back into place. My hair defies the laws of gravity. It reaches energetically toward the sky. My hair is unique. In a fashion culture that genuflects to relaxed, flat-ironed tresses and stick-straight weaves, my fluffy, puffy, kinky mane stands out. It is revolutionary. My hair is natural. It is the way God made it. My hair is nappy. And it is beautiful. Tami-whattamisaid.blogspot.com
    Last edited by Bunicornaces; 11-30-2009 at 02:49 PM.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyana590 View Post
    I just have a question for you ladies, is a cute hairstyle worth sacrificing the health of your hair, even if the harsh effects are not immediate. If the main reason for many of us going natural is to begin to take care of the health of our hair and showing it some TLC , isnt putting store brought products that contain harmful chemicals to achieve a cute style kinda the same as putting perms and heat on our hair to get it to look good...well in principle. What are your thoughts on this
    I don't know if the main reason many people go natural is for healthy hair....I know I didn't. There are many reasons that people go and stay natural. I went natural because I wanted something different and for the most part I had healthy relaxed hair (yes I do believe relaxed hair can be healthy).

I don't think anyone has to use 100% natural and organic products...many times they are hard to find and they sure aren't cheap. If people can walk into the store and buy some Pantene and Garnier that works and keeps their hair healthy then that's what they should use. There are no rules that say you have to use natural and organic products on your hair to keep it healthy. Besides I wouldn't at all compare a perm to store bought conditioner, shampoo or moisturizer.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use natural products at all. I have yet to find anything natural that keeps my hair the way I want it to look. Would I sacrifice the health of my hair for a look? NO! My hair is healthy, no breakage or excess shedding either. I know it is healthier than with the creamy crack b/c after my big shave, not even a month ago, it has grown so much, I cant even describe it to you. I am very happy with results as well.

I do use olive oil in my conditioners and spritz. If natural products were more economical and gave the same results, I might be less reluctant to switch. But until then, Dove intesive moisture therapy and Cantu Shea Butter leave in are my two bestest friends ever.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didnt stop getting r.elaxers for healthier hair. I stopped because unlike a number of people on this and other sites, I readily admit my nappy hair is an expression of my Black pride and cultural awareness. The healthy part is secondary.

I dont think commercial product usage is the same as getting a r.elaxer or using heat. I think people have to use the products that their hair responds to best. I'm gradually weening myself off of commercial products because I want to be more natural in my hair care. I'm learning more about the benefits of different butters and oils and herbs and such and I am experimenting to see which work on my hair and which don't.

Styles dont matter much to me, as I change them so often. I'm more focused on keeping my hair moisturized so I can retain the length.
    ~~~Michelle~~~
    FOTKI: fotki.com/purplepeace79
    15 years of Nappiness. Word. To ya naps.

canidoit is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard a few naturals say that their hair really started to thrive once they started using only natural products, but I don't know if that would be the case for everyone. I have seen you-tubes of naturals whose hair is really long and healthy, but they use prods I wouldn't use b/c of the ingredients.

Speaking from experience, i will say that my daughters mixed hair does better when i just use a natural aloe vera juice spritz on her hair, vs the commercial leave ins. A few months after ditching commercial prods on her hair, my husband and i both noticed that her hair was considerably longer.
    Transitioned for 7.5 months. Now I'm FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm I see you guys point about the relaxer and store brought products not being the same which is true a leave in conditioner with a couple of bad ingredients isnt going to make my hair straight, but if a product contains things like propolyene glycol, cocamide DEA, synthetic glycerin, Urea and I copuld go on and on (i had to look these up lol) but my point is there are many articles out there that state that these ingredients could be harmful to your body, not just your hair maybe not immediately but in the long run im, is it it really worth it to put your bodys health as well as sacrifice the health of your hair in the long run to achieve a cute hairstyle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast