Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Co-washing is pointless?

For all of you who co-wash, do you feel like it really cleans your hair? I was just about to experiment with co-washing until I saw a youtube video from kimmaytube that adressed co-washing.

She basically just said that shampoo is meant to take something away from your hair, and conditioner is meant to add something back to it. So technically, when you co-wash, you're just adding more product to your hair over and over. I thought about it, and that actually makes sense to me.

But for anyone who does co-wash, how do you feel that it benefits your hair? I'm just trying to get a little insight and see other points of views.

here's the video if you would like to see it (skip to 3:14)

http://www.youtube.com/user/kimmaytu...14/P1FQ79FD2VY

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried co-washing for a while, used the popular conditioners, then some not-so-popular ones, but my hair never really felt clean. I've heard that there's a transitioning period and it may take a while for your hair to get used to co-washing, but I just couldn't get passed it. Then I tried diluted castile soap, but it made my hair feel so coated that it was worse then the co-washing. I occasionally switch back to a gentle, non-sulfate shampoo, but I mostly use baking soda and ACV to wash my hair, and this method works very well for me.

If your hair likes moisture and it works for you, I say go ahead and co-wash. I, however, couldn't do this, especially not frequently. My hair is naturally dry, but it's also fine, so it only barely likes moisture and can get over-moisturized very easily, so frequent co-washing is a no-go for me. I occasionally co-wash, but that's like once in a blue moon, much less then I do protein treatments.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I co wash. My hair loves product, but I feel like my hair is clean after I co wash. Although I do use a shampoo bar also. I usually poo bar once a week and co wash once a week. It's been working for me so far.
    Last relaxer: 12.12.09
    BC: 2.18.10
    Being 100% napptural: PRICELESS!

Florence, (Italy, I wish:D) South Carolina
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love co washing my hair on the daily b/c it feels softer. I love to wet it everyday. I feel like when I co wash it, it cleanses and moisturizer b/c it feels clean and soft so it's up to you. It works for me.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
    Coco Chanel
    What I use now: Aussie Moist to moisturize and clean, setting lotion for retwisting, & silk elements sunrise blonde hair dye

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paranoia View Post
    For all of you who co-wash, do you feel like it really cleans your hair?
    I use castile soap...and this one conditioner that I do not use often. I have used baking soda/water, including ACV. I think the castile soap, baking/soda water, and ACV have worked for me. I am unsurethough because I am still trying to find that staple conditioner that I can always rely on to control my dandruff. So to answer your question co-washing is okay I guess it just depends what u use...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to co wash and I think it cleans my hair when I use runny conditioners mixed with a little bit of baking soda.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I co-wash and it cleans my hair, but I do clarify one to two times a month to get rid of buildup.
    http://public.fotki.com/ShiraLaCocolita/

Shae_B is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had a build up problem co-washing, I use cheap vo-5 shampoo. conditioner for me is to mainly moisturize and detangle. I oil my scalp afterward and I shampoo every week to two weeks. I saw try it, if you don't like it discontinue. some people just rinse everyday. BTW: my hair LOVES co-washing, It never feels dirty afterward.
    Its not about what they think.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with the theory posed in the YT video is, shampoos take too much away from the hair shaft leaving it a dry brittle vulnerable mess....Unless you have been laying in mud, shampoo is pretty much unnecessary. Natural oils inherently have cleaning properties so as long as you stay away from petroleum, mineral oil and the like, simply rinsing your hair is enough. Co-washing is good because it helps saturate the hair with moisture as well as helps defend the hair against the elements

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't use many leave in products and the ones i do use (castor oil, glycerin, aloe) are water soluble, so cowashing is fine for me. really it;s not the conditiner that does the cleaning for me, it's the friction of rubbing the scalp/hairs plus the running water.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast