Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Furious

I am so so so pissed off right now. I am in my home stretch to FINALLY graduate college in May. It's been a VERY long road and one full of bull because of my school. They are the most unprofessional, ride by the seat of your pants type of school I've ever encountered.

back story
    I started at another school in 2001 and wasn't serious about school. I barely went to class and just didn't care. After two years I had a smattering of As, Bs, Cs, and 3 Ds. After taking a few years to work I figured out that I really couldn't get anywhere without a degree so I transferred to another school and got serious. Since transferring my grades have been Stellar. Almost always straight As. I did start back part time so it's been about 5-6 years since restarting and in that time until now I know I got one C (history course grrr) and probably less than 4 Bs everything else is straight As. My GPA was a 3.73--as of yesterday. Today I get an email congratulating me on my exemplary GPA but informing me that my school has decided to retabulate my GPA and now according to "their" math it is a 3.43...in other words too low to graduate with honors. LIVID would be the mildest way to put how I felt after reading that. It's been 10 years total from start to finish and you're trying to convince me that 2 years of Average grades has negated what 6 of STELLAR????????? Seriously... I think they need to check their math and check it again. I also think that if this is the case for some effed up reason that hmmm.....they probably should have figured that out oh I dunno several years ago? Do they seriously think that after all this time they mysteriously figured out the Right way to do the GPAs and that I'm just going to meekly say OK LESS THAN 3 WEEKS BEFORE MY GRADUATION!!!!!! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME. I planned to apply to grad or law school!
    I'm so fed up with this school.......if I were a different person I would really do some things. They have made my life hell since the day I walked thru their doors. It took them 7 months to process my financial aid, 3 years to award my HOPE even though I was eligble for it (3 years prior) and then they would accept or take away credit for classes randomly. Oh yea and on that HOPE isht lemme tell you about shiesty. After delaying my aid for 3 years while i paid out of pocket they took it away last semester saying i'd exceeded my credit hours even though I'd had to pay for the years they.......uh Lost my paperwork. Jesus give me strength or someone give me a bat because I have reached my limits and I'm so sick of it!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having with this school. I do hope that after you contest this retabulation, they restore your previous GPA. Lord knows, I'm sure you'll be glad to be DONE with this school! Try to restrain your anger until you get that answer.
    Take care and good luck to you and congrats! on your graduation.
    BC'd: June 2010
    Last perm: End of 2009

NRB229 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it seems i've learned a valuable lesson. After a little research I figured out that CSU technically is not awarding the full amount of points per grade.

Ex B+ = 3.30 points whereas CSU says B = 3. What does this mean for me? If I earned the same grades at a different institution my GPA would be higher. I have emailed the USG regarding their policy and what it states on their website regarding GPA calculation. It may go somewhere, it may not but either way I will not attend any school in the future that does not distinguish between an A+ and an A-, especially when I bust my **** to get that A+.

Woosah

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hugs sis!!! I feel your pain and would be PO'd as well. The school system was the same way here for my boys. We moved from N. VA where the GPA was based on the 4.0 scale. We moved here and it was VERY different. One of my sons struggled big time to keep up with this new grading system. His As became Bs and his Bs became Cs. It was horrible. The school system here said they were grading the way they were, in order to be a head of schools in other areas. The only thing that was happeing was the kids were being overlooked when colleges and universities searched for students with specific grade point averages or when students applied. Students were working harder for less then better grades. The school system here had to start grading the way others grade, because they realized our kids where missing out on scholarships, etc.
    Last edited by Himmy; 04-13-2011 at 08:54 PM.
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So would I be wrong if I decided not to waste my energy on these last three weeks? I'm doing my best to find a silver lining and the only thing I can think of is that since my GPA now is crap I should just relax and wing everything else for the next 3 weeks? I have a test tomorrow and should have spent today doing some pretty hard core studying but after all this nonsense and the back and forth with registrars I've just kinda been like Eff it.

Hmm what would you do?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, at least you're graduating soon. Then you won't have to deal with them anymore. You might as well finish up the last remaining weeks with the same gusto that got you through it all and then reward yourself by taking a break.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NRB229 View Post
    So would I be wrong if I decided not to waste my energy on these last three weeks? I'm doing my best to find a silver lining and the only thing I can think of is that since my GPA now is crap I should just relax and wing everything else for the next 3 weeks? I have a test tomorrow and should have spent today doing some pretty hard core studying but after all this nonsense and the back and forth with registrars I've just kinda been like Eff it.

Hmm what would you do?
    Been out and about and working all day, so I'm burnt. (meaning no counting is happening over here.) I think the purpose of registrar offices are to just make you homicidal. Murphy Hall at UCLA is NOTORIOUS for that. Anyway...two ways to go.

I say relax only if there is no possible way you can get honors if you bust your a$$ on these last few tests. If not, seriously, take it easy, pass and go.

HOWEVER, if law school is an option...don't. It's hardcore from pre-law to graduation (actually, past graduation.) It always has been and always will be, I believe. I just met with some new students heading to my law school in the fall and they were typically tight and nervous (part of the whole clusterf$%k they're heading into.) If you're going to do that too? Take a long-term approach and study.

BTW, sorry about this. It sucks.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    Been out and about and working all day, so I'm burnt. (meaning no counting is happening over here.) I think the purpose of registrar offices are to just make you homicidal. Murphy Hall at UCLA is NOTORIOUS for that. Anyway...two ways to go.

I say relax only if there is no possible way you can get honors if you bust your a$$ on these last few tests. If not, seriously, take it easy, pass and go.

HOWEVER, if law school is an option...don't. It's hardcore from pre-law to graduation (actually, past graduation.) It always has been and always will be, I believe. I just met with some new students heading to my law school in the fall and they were typically tight and nervous (part of the whole clusterf$%k they're heading into.) If you're going to do that too? Take a long-term approach and study.

BTW, sorry about this. It sucks.
    According to her there's no way to get even a Cum Laude.

As for law school...doesn't really seem like an option with a GPA of 3.3. My advisor said I was doing "ok" with a 3.7. The goal was to give myself the best chance possible.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NRB229

According to her there's no way to get even a Cum Laude.

As for law school...doesn't really seem like an option with a GPA of 3.3. My advisor said I was doing "ok" with a 3.7. The goal was to give myself the best chance possible.
    Maybe. Don't listen to advisors who've never been to law school though.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think law school would still be an option with a 3.3 GPA. Just do your best on the LSAT.
    12th year of freedom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast