Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Style and Shrinkage Problems

Hey, I a new to the site and I had my last perm March 13, 2011.

Right now I have less than a half inch of permed hair left...Ill eventually cut it soon...

But I am having some troubles and it could be due to my hair not be fully natural...When i wear twist and braid outs they last maybe a day or sometimes less than a day and wind up having a very short afro or short hair and curl strands everywhere...sometimes they are together and sometimes it looks matted. Maybe its something that I am doing wrong...I really do not know where to start with my hair...I should be able to twist or braid it out and it last more than a day...or do i have to braid and twist it up everyday...Can someone assist me?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could definitely be the relaxed ends having a hard time staying together. Have you always had this issue since starting to transition, or is this a new development?
    BC: Spring 2000

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to say always but when i first started the transition i had kinky twist then kept my hair rodded and then had a sew-in i just took my sew-in down on January 1st. My relax hair its very scarce in certain parts...the front isnt all don and thats where the perm is...when my hair was rodded you couldn't tell

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of people have problems getting/keeping definition in braidouts and twistouts. Do a search on the site. There will be tons of threads.

If I don't retwist at night, a twist-out loses its shape after 2 days. *shrug* It's not a big deal to me.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TaeMonaeisnewtothis View Post
    Hey, I a new to the site and I had my last perm March 13, 2011.

Right now I have less than a half inch of permed hair left...Ill eventually cut it soon...

But I am having some troubles and it could be due to my hair not be fully natural...When i wear twist and braid outs they last maybe a day or sometimes less than a day and wind up having a very short afro or short hair and curl strands everywhere...sometimes they are together and sometimes it looks matted. Maybe its something that I am doing wrong...I really do not know where to start with my hair...I should be able to twist or braid it out and it last more than a day...or do i have to braid and twist it up everyday...Can someone assist me?
    You're not doing anything wrong. It's just shrinkage.

In order for my hair not to condense after a braid out, I have to rebraid my hair loosely at night. It's always been this way, except for when I had a TWA.

It doesn't sound to me as though your problem is related to transitioning. From what I can tell, again--it's basic shrinkage.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Everyone!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Co-sign on what everyone else said. For me, when I've had twists in for a few weeks I never had problems keeping a twist out for maybe another week or so. But everyone's hair is different. Good luck!
    BC: Spring 2000

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My twists/braid outs came out much nicer when I was completed natural.